Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Tapatalk forum app
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
I wouldn't judge just based on your difficulties logging in.

I would, because they are directly not allowing me to experience the app >:[

I'm not sure what could be the problem for you but I prefer to use social logins for things because I don't like making accounts for everything on the internet. With that in mind, you can make a Tapatalk account with G+ or Facebook and when you do then all your forums that have Tapatalk enabled will verify that you are you automatically. When I clicked the link from the email this morning, the app opened and offered to subscribe me to tfes but it didn't prompt me to input my username or password because Tapatalk already knew who I was, probably because of my email address, which tapatalk knows is associated with a user named rottingroom for this particular forum.

I would rather not use Google+ and I don't use Facebook, but that's not important. I shouldn't have to. The app should allow me to sign into the forum when I...you know...put in my username and password.

It doesn't work for me either. When I try to login it always say password incorrect.

I can only assume it is because you are inputting an incorrect password.
If you simply can't remember your password you might be able to open your security settings on Chrome for the desktop to see your stored passwords.

As I said, I am definitely putting in the right password. I don't doubt Yamato's problem, seeing as I'm putting in what is inarguably my password and it doesn't allow it. I even reset my password to something new and tried again when it wouldn't work; it still doesn't work.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
One thing I noticed is that the username is case-sensitive, which it wouldn't be in the web interface (my phone wanted to log me in as Pizaaplanet, which would always throw an "incorrect password" error, but pizaaplanet and the same password worked just fine).

Also, bear in mind that some keyboard applications will add a space after any word you write, so make sure you're logging in as "Supertails" and not "supertails" or "Supertails ".

There might be more to it. Like I said, this app is pretty buggy - we think we fixed most problems, but it's very possible that we missed something. Try fiddling around with capitalisation and such and let me know if that does anything for you.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
One thing I noticed is that the username is case-sensitive, which it wouldn't be in the web interface (my phone wanted to log me in as Pizaaplanet, which would always throw an "incorrect password" error, but pizaaplanet and the same password worked just fine).

Also, bear in mind that some keyboard applications will add a space after any word you write, so make sure you're logging in as "Supertails" and not "supertails" or "Supertails ".

There might be more to it. Like I said, this app is pretty buggy - we think we fixed most problems, but it's very possible that we missed something. Try fiddling around with capitalisation and such and let me know if that does anything for you.

I've already messed around with case-sensitivity and noticed the space thing right away, none of them fixed anything. >o<

I gave up and just used Google+. Thanks, though. Ugh

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
I wouldn't judge just based on your difficulties logging in.

I would, because they are directly not allowing me to experience the app >:[

I'm not sure what could be the problem for you but I prefer to use social logins for things because I don't like making accounts for everything on the internet. With that in mind, you can make a Tapatalk account with G+ or Facebook and when you do then all your forums that have Tapatalk enabled will verify that you are you automatically. When I clicked the link from the email this morning, the app opened and offered to subscribe me to tfes but it didn't prompt me to input my username or password because Tapatalk already knew who I was, probably because of my email address, which tapatalk knows is associated with a user named rottingroom for this particular forum.

I would rather not use Google+ and I don't use Facebook, but that's not important. I shouldn't have to. The app should allow me to sign into the forum when I...you know...put in my username and password.

It doesn't work for me either. When I try to login it always say password incorrect.

I can only assume it is because you are inputting an incorrect password.
If you simply can't remember your password you might be able to open your security settings on Chrome for the desktop to see your stored passwords.

As I said, I am definitely putting in the right password. I don't doubt Yamato's problem, seeing as I'm putting in what is inarguably my password and it doesn't allow it. I even reset my password to something new and tried again when it wouldn't work; it still doesn't work.

Obviously this should work without having to log in to using G+ or Facebook and I have no doubt that it does. I just think that somehow, you are putting in the wrong password. The reason I made suggestions about social log-ins is because that eliminates whatever could be causing your problem.

As pizzaplanet mentioned. It might not be the password and it could be your username as well.

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »

I've already messed around with case-sensitivity and noticed the space thing right away, none of them fixed anything. >o<

I gave up and just used Google+. Thanks, though. Ugh

Well that right there indicates to me that there is a proper way to put in your password. Who knows what went wrong, I'm not going to pretend like I know. All we know is that something did. In any case, hope it works for you.

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
I finally managed to solve the problem with the wrong password thing.

When tapatalk asks for your username and password, he is actually asking for your email and password.

It worked at least for me, without the need to reset the password.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:10:07 AM by Yamato »

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Pizzaplanet or Parsifal:

So far on my end everything is looking great except for one thing. It seems that embedded YouTube videos do not display properly when viewed on Tapatalk. It doesn't even leave a url there instead of the embedded video. It leaves a "#".

I wonder if this is something that needs to be fixed on your end because other forums do have clickable thumbnails with embedded YouTube videos that open the the video in the YouTube app.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:15:59 PM by rottingroom »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
I finally managed to solve the problem with the wrong password thing.

When tapatalk asks for your username and password, he is actually asking for your email and password.

It worked at least for me, withoutnthe need to reseg the password.
I put in my forum login without e-mail and it worked.  Weird.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »
I'm using tapatalk now. Very odd. I need to get used to this.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
Pizzaplanet or Parsifal:

So far on my end everything is looking great except for one thing. It seems that embedded YouTube videos do not display properly when viewed on Tapatalk. It doesn't even leave a url there instead of the embedded video. It leaves a "#".

I wonder if this is something that needs to be fixed on your end because other forums do have clickable thumbnails with embedded YouTube videos that open the the video in the YouTube app.
Blegh. I can see why that happens. Our YouTube embedding plugin simply, well, embeds the video. If Tapatalk doesn't support Flash, things will break.

As predicted, some of our modifications to SMF will break. YouTube embedding is not standard functionality, so it's broken. This looks like an easy enough fix, so I'll do it, but please keep in mind that we made it clear we will not provide support for Tapatalk.

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:20 PM »
Pizzaplanet or Parsifal:

Blegh. I can see why that happens. Our YouTube embedding plugin simply, well, embeds the video. If Tapatalk doesn't support Flash, things will break.

As predicted, some of our modifications to SMF will break. YouTube embedding is not standard functionality, so it's broken. This looks like an easy enough fix, so I'll do it, but please keep in mind that we made it clear we will not provide support for Tapatalk.

Nice to know, appreciated and understood.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
Done (I think)

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
If I knew coding stuff I'd gladly support the app. Now that I've gotten through the massive pain that is getting it to work, it's pretty handy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
I've been using tapatalk all day. I love it. Finally, rottingroom has contributed to this amazing society for once.

I also want to thank the mods and my mother. Thank you.

Also, God.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:57:12 PM by Vauxhall »

Ghost of V

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »
I have "notifications" turned on but I never get a notification when the criteria is met. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 02:23:09 AM »
I have "notifications" turned on but I never get a notification when the criteria is met. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?
There are 2 places where you need to edit notifications. There is a global setting for the whole app. You get to this from the main part of the app. Then there is the forum notification settings in case a user wants different preferences for each forum. You get to this by dragging out the navigation menu and then a gear icon will appear in the action bar.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:14 AM »
omg I just posted using tapatalk

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
Yeah it's easier than using a browser, not a fan of the interface but whatever. Would this app use less data than visiting the actual website?

Nevermind, looks like I managed to break tapatalk.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:53:26 AM by Vindictus »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
Would this app use less data than visiting the actual website?

If they've designed it well, it might, but from what I've seen of their code, I wouldn't count on it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol