Offline AATW

• View Profile
Notifications
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:19:20 AM »
Maybe this place already does this and I just don't know how to see it, but on other forums I've posted on there's a "Notifications" bit where you can see when people have quoted your posts.
It would be useful if this place did that, if it doesn't. I wouldn't want to miss any of Pete's sick burns in reply to my posts ;)
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »
I think that would be difficult to implement well in SMF, and I'd be reluctant to implement it poorly.

With many people not using quote tags properly, or not using them at all, a functionality like this could lead to missed notifications if one were to rely on it. We could try and implement something along the lines of "if a quote tag is used and it explicitly references a post ID that belongs to you, we notify you in some way", but things would quickly get messy if we tried to encompass the different ways in which people engage with the forum.

I think your best bet is to use the "new replies" functionality. This would normally track replies to any threads you're active in (and with Parsfial's modifications you can subscribe/unsubscribe from threads). It's not exactly what you're asking for, but at least it can be expected to be reliable.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:05:51 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »
OK, thanks. We use vBulletin and it seems to come out of the box. I'm not into the technical details of it tbh.
When you quote someone or someone quotes you it obviously records that and at the top of the page it indicates how many Notifications there have been since you last looked.
Then when you go into Notifications it shows you a list of them and clears the counter.
(Apologies if I'm explaining something you understand better than me, I don't know how familiar you are with other types of board)
Anyway, just a thought. Thanks for the response. And yes, obviously it doesn't work if someone replies to you without quoting.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
I think that would be difficult to implement well in SMF, and I'd be reluctant to implement it poorly.

With many people not using quote tags properly, or not using them at all, a functionality like this could lead to missed notifications if one were to rely on it. We could try and implement something along the lines of "if a quote tag is used and it explicitly references a post ID that belongs to you, we notify you in some way", but things would quickly get messy if we tried to encompass the different ways in which people engage with the forum.

I think your best bet is to use the "new replies" functionality. This would normally track replies to any threads you're active in (and with Parsfial's modifications you can subscribe/unsubscribe from threads). It's not exactly what you're asking for, but at least it can be expected to be reliable.

Thank you so much for the new replies link! I'm new here and it was very helpful.