Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
Users have to fiddle with game files just to change basic things that should be options in the game...

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2p3784/you_can_manually_customize_the_gui_colors/

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
Frontier is planning to add an ingame UI color change feature.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2014, 06:23:31 AM »
Frontier is planning to add an ingame UI color change feature.

The game releases on Tuesday, at this point "Frontier is planning to..." is meaningless. When people buy this game and play it on release, they're going to get a game that is missing very basic features. If I was pointing out there is no station walking and you say "that will be in an expansion" then yes, that is acceptable, but to be missing something like this is just garbage. This game is still in beta and everyone knows it.

Game breaking bugs I've personally encountered so far:

1. Security forces attack even if you're not wanted. Attacked them back will just result in more security forces warping in and attacking you, oh, you'll also get a bounty which you'll have to pay off.

2. Landing pads sometimes glitch out, as a result the game thinks you're "loitering" and the station begins shooting at you at nearly instantly destroying your ship.

3. My weapons were bugged as "deployed" and as a result I couldn't enter hyperspace or supercruise. Had I not been near a station to dock and reset the bug, I would have had to self-destruct my ship just to continue playing the game.

And that is just me, personally. The forums are filled with people who can't even play the game because it gets stuck at the loading screen... They released two separate patches claiming to fix that.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:29:45 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
I now seem to care more about this game than PP2 does.

Anyway, since bounty hunting is completely borked (security fighters keep trying to kill me despite ME HELPING THEM!) I've had to resort to playing Space Trucker 2014. I'm contemplating making an excel sheet to maximize profit margins.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #304 on: December 14, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
Big Rigs: Over the Galaxy Racing

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
New update released, these are the patch notes:

- Fix a rare crash that could occur if a ship belonging to a stale but valid faction shot someone
- Fix a rare crash that would be caused by a missile that was partially constructed (or partially shut down) appearing on someone's radar
- Fix rare crash in nebulae sorting
- Fix a rare crash when hyperspacing
- Prevent crash if we fail to allocated vertex or index data
- Scrolling with the Game Pad in a module slot in Outfitting causes the highlight to disappear
- Fix unrecoverable error when trying to abandon a mission
- Stop missions disappearing when switching servers
- Stop in progress missions disappearing when switching servers
- Reputation fix for massacre missions
- Decrease many reputation gatings for missions
- Increase number of missions on a board
- Fix independent permit missions
- Fix salvage mission contracts so that they tell the player what system to search
- Make sure that permit missions are included in the upload
- Added in game links (in the training descriptions) to the external tutorial videos
- Fix for several system specific mission components failing. Specifically addresses salvage and assassination missions
- Don't allow the route finder to make more then one step which performs a galaxy octree search to improve performance
- Filters are reset when you exit from the map fixed
- Avoid showing trade route lines for the same commodity flowing both ways
- Update stations to allow for planet classification changes (fixes some missing stations)
- Fix a bunch of incorrect meta-data about terraformed planets
- Mission jump distance corrected for long range jump distances
- New batch translations (French & German - not text complete yet)
- Better debug output for starsystem web request errors
- Rename slave category to 'slavery' to hopefully reduce confusion about slave legality
- Various text fixes
- Fix erroneous cargo item "CropHaarvestors" in USS

Lots of people are pretty pissed because this didn't fix most of the actual game-breaking bugs, it just fixed some pretty menial garbage. Oh, you can't bounty hunt because the police are bugged? But we changed "slave" to "slavery" so there's that!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
They just released a patch for the patch. I feel like Frontier got secretly bought out by EA at this point.

Big Rigs: Over the Galaxy Racing

More accurate than it should be.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
Like I already said, E:D is not an early access game. The version that we have is a build designed to test specific features; it is not latest and most complete build.

Here's the complete build patch notes:

•Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
•Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
•Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
•Sky box view distance to reduce hyperspace times to some galaxy areas, sparser sky in distant arm regions, but most importantly no more out of memory problems

Wow, look at all that new content! Amazing! Mystifying! Un-fucking-believable!

YOU LOSE. GOOD DAY, SIR.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »
k

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »
k

Feigning indifference will get you nowhere.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
So the game's been released.  Where are all the reviews?

Ghost of V

« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
Here's Rushy's review from metacritic:

"Elite Dangerous is not a good game. It tries to feed off some lingering nostalgia you may have. However, while the playable area is large it feels empty. The player has no palpable impact on the universe. It wants to be an MMO but does not give you appropriate tools to interact with other players. In fact, consider yourself lucky, when you manage to get put into the same instance as the other players on your friendslist. There are frequent server problems and disconnects. Elite ignores any and all advances that have been made in gameplay and story telling in the last 20 years of the industry. The gameplay is unbalanced so your only viable recourse is MINDLESS GRINDING of trade runs. PVP is non-existent because people rarely meet and if you meet someone that you would like to fight it is a 50% chance that they won't simply alt-f4 and ghost away in solo mode. Ridiculous. The games only redeeming quality is its virtual reality support, which works really well in the smaller ships. However, it breaks in the larger ships like the Type-7, because the cockpits are so large that the edge of it are in the same focal plane as the galaxy background, which makes it feel like you are sitting in a model of a ship that has a screen projecting the galaxy half a meter behind the edge of the cockpit. I have been with the game since alpha, hoping things would get better for the release, however Frontier is not listening to negative feedback and is just powering forward with blinders on. Finally, the customer support is abysmal. People are waiting 6 months to get answers to simple accounting tickets. Abysmal. "

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
While it has a similar tone, it looks nothing like my usual writing.

So the game's been released.  Where are all the reviews?

There are user reviews on metacritic but no professional reviews yet. I'm not sure the game is popular enough to warrant immediate professional media attention. Keep in mind that regardless of how much me or PP2 talk about it, it is still a very niche game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/elite-dangerous

Quote from: Sou_ka
Game is fantastic and only getting better over time, but you might have to have an IQ above 75 to find it enjoyable.

I thought this was funny because not only is this guy being a pretentious ass, his name is one syllable away from Sokarul.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:30:16 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »
I hate this game so much I did this just to play it:

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Very nice. Anyway, I care about this game again. Naturally, I am disappointed that I was wrong about Frontier throwing the curtain back at release and revealing loads of secret new content. On the bright side, since they didn't introduce anything new, the launch has been very smooth. I just hope that content updates will be frequent from now until the next expansion, which I am also very much looking forward to.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:20:24 PM by Particle Person »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2015, 02:58:12 AM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #316 on: January 01, 2015, 03:19:42 AM »
The reviews are all positive.  I was expecting a critical reaming that would have been a delight to read.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 01, 2015, 03:23:18 AM »
The reviews are all positive.  I was expecting a critical reaming that would have been a delight to read.

I don't understand the reviewers though. Most of them give positive reviews, but basically go on to say "the game really isn't good right now, but I'm sure in the future it will be." ??? I didn't know they were all fortune tellers. Weird.

I think it is a cop-out to review a game based on what you imagine it might be rather than what it is.

Thork

« Reply #318 on: January 01, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »
Dangerous

« Reply #319 on: January 01, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
Fuck David Guetta.