Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #280 on: December 08, 2014, 04:20:58 AM »
That feature has already been implemented.

The current grouping system is bugged and randomly decides when to actually let you see your friends. I wouldn't call it implemented and up to now "it's beta" was a fair excuse. Well, the game goes gold in two weeks and it is still borked. Go figure.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2014, 04:29:09 AM »
I know you don't know anybody else who plays this, so you're just repeating other people's complaints, which are now out-dated. I know for a fact that private grouping works just fine now, and I've heard that public groups are working much better as of Gamma release.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2014, 04:32:09 AM »
I know you don't know anybody else who plays this,

Incorrect.

so you're just repeating other people's complaints, which are now out-dated.

The first part is somewhat correct, the second... not so much.

I know for a fact that private grouping works just fine now, and I've heard that public groups are working much better as of Gamma release.

Mhmm, okay. You also know that Frontier is hiding half the game behind a curtain just to yell "SURPRISE! IT DOESN'T SUCK!" on release day. The things you know, I doubt. You already admitted you haven't even bothered playing the updated game. I'm guessing you're worried it might not be as updated as you'd hope.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:33:55 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
I don't care.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2014, 04:34:42 AM »
I don't care.

E:D is bad and you should feel bad for tricking me into paying for it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »
It's an investment that will someday, in the distant future (but still years before Star Citizen is released), pay off in a big way. Honestly, I'm more excited for the first expansion than the full release.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:21 AM »
It's an investment that will someday, in the distant future (but still years before Star Citizen is released), pay off in a big way. Honestly, I'm more excited for the first expansion than the full release.

Why are you looking forward to paying for features that should have been in the game from the get-go? Do you honestly prefer this "release broken mess first, fix later" development over SC's "it won't be released until it is ready" style? If E:D doesn't pull it's shit together in 8 days, the critics are going to rip the game apart, it will sell poorly, and there won't be any expansions because there isn't any money left. It really bothers me that they're doing this and it is a big red flag. Either Braben doesn't have any more money and simply must release the game to try and get more, or a big investor is pulling the plug and Braben has to prove that the game is viable. Either way, I don't see a good future for E:D.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:03:41 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
The full release (along with another wipe) is very close, so I haven't been playing. I have been observing the exploration of other players though, and there are certainly already plenty of interesting anomalies to be found all throughout the galaxy.

There won't be another wipe:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70786&p=1172609&viewfull=1#post1172609

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
Do you honestly prefer this "release broken mess first, fix later" development over SC's "it won't be released until it is ready" style?

It remains to be seen whether or not the game will be a "broken mess" upon release. It also definitely remains to be seen that SC won't be released until it's ready.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »
Combat feels a lot easier now, but I think the Sidewinder's pitch speed was nerfed (I didn't bother measuring it, just feels that way). Might be that it just comes with shittier thrusters now, I'll check later.

Graphics have improved a lot, I haven't encountered any of the normal planet glitching, everything seems a bit more crisp, textures could bear some improvement.

Overall gameplay still feels kinda grindy, especially at first, since you're basically limited to doing missions only.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:19 AM »
Yeah, the original trailer is really, really bad.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2014, 04:41:29 AM »
Alright, well the most obnoxious bug in the game is creeping back up, and that is the security force fighters attack me even though I have absolutely no bounties or crimes to my name (including bounties outside the jurisdiction of the system the security fighters are from). What's worse is that when they do this you're not allowed to fight back (if you fire on the security forces it'll just make you wanted, increasing the chance other players smell blood in the water).

They had it fixed for a while. I wonder why it is suddenly back.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2014, 05:04:26 AM »
Did Frontier suddenly just lose all confidence in the commercial viability of the game they were making and so decide to market it as something radically different?  In the wise words of the uploader of that video in the comments:

Its like someone advertised interstellar by showing a transformers 4 trailer with matthew mcconneheys face photoshopped onto optimus primes.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
Did Frontier suddenly just lose all confidence in the commercial viability of the game they were making and so decide to market it as something radically different?  In the wise words of the uploader of that video in the comments:

I think whereas Star Citizen exploded from a niche game into a giant AAA development, E:D stayed inside it's niche. The problem with staying inside the niche is that the players that would play E:D are probably the one's that have already backed it. This is not good for profits (and doubly not good for furthering the development of the game).

A trailer which showed E:D's niche aspects would decimate any chance at sales. E:D is labeled as a "space trading" genre, not a "space sim" genre. It is pretty much impossible to do anything in the game without, at some point, playing a trading simulator. If this were to be shown in a trailer, most people would find it quite dull. What Frontier did is bad, but not completely unexpected. They are showing a CGI commercial of Battlefield-in-Space in order to draw in unsuspecting Holiday season customers (e.g. parents looking for a game for their child). Most parents aren't going to buy their child Farming Simulator 2013 for Christmas and most parents aren't going to buy E:D if they think it is a sim game.

E:D isn't a bad game, but it is what it is, and it is a game which quite frankly can't appeal to a very large audience. Frontier knew this, so they simply made the game appear to be more inviting to a wider audience.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
We should take advantage of that bounty exploit and get $$$stacked$$$

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »

Please do tell, I'm tired of listening to traders telling me how they just made 10 million in 45 minutes while I'm just sitting here making 50k an hour doing something that requires more than just hitting the FSD button.

Edit: oh you just meant us getting high bounties just to give the bounty to the other.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:58:09 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
Quote from: Gamma 2.03
Upped AI bounties to make bounty hunting more viable as a career

Neato, I can get rid of my dumb hauler and go back to actually playing an interesting game.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »

Please do tell, I'm tired of listening to traders telling me how they just made 10 million in 45 minutes while I'm just sitting here making 50k an hour doing something that requires more than just hitting the FSD button.

Edit: oh you just meant us getting high bounties just to give the bounty to the other.

Yes. Here's a complete explanation: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2ongtn/you_can_farm_your_friends_bounties_very_easy_to/

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »