Poll

Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Saddam Hussein

Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2014, 03:01:32 AM »
Thork comes into every thread wanting to be angry about something.  Also, lol@Chris Roberts:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wing_commander/

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2014, 03:05:38 AM »
Thork comes into every thread wanting to be angry about something.  Also, lol@Chris Roberts:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wing_commander/

He is a much better game developer than movie director, I'll say that much.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2014, 03:15:12 AM »
Meanwhile, David Braben's non-videogame related endeavors include things like inventing the Raspberry Pi.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2014, 03:20:04 AM »
Meanwhile, David Braben's non-videogame related endeavors include things like inventing the Raspberry Pi.

He is much better hardware developer than software developer, I'll say that much.

Nevermind, he isn't even that. David Braben did not invent the Raspberry Pi, in fact, their development section doesn't even mention him. It sounds like he only gave money to the foundation and is a trustee board member. That hardly counts as inventing it.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/about/

It lists the main devs as: Paul Beech, Alex Bradbury, Dom Cobley, Peter Green, James Hughes, Rob Mullins, Mike Thompson, and Gert Van Loo.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:27:37 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Thork

« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »
So I have been doing some research on Star Citizen.

It is the most successful kickstarter of all time and has raised $56m through the sale of virtual ships. People are buying virtual ships for a virtual universe that doesn't exist yet. Many of the ships they buy are designs that may not enter the game for over a year after its launch. You can't see the ship you bought, can't fly it, admire it in your hanger or anything.

Star Citizen has been making limited edition ships. And the holy grail are those with lifetime insurance (LTI). IE, if they get stolen or destroyed in game they are replaced. These were phased out in 2012 and now carry a hefty price tag. A ship that may have cost $350 with LTI may now retail for more than $1900 on the 'grey' market. You can buy insurance in game and the designer says insurance won't be that much and can't understand the premiums but gamers disagree and are all over these.

Star Citizen first reacted to stop this 'grey market' by allowing the sale of a ship only once and then locking it to an account. this was supposed to cut out middlemen. However they just now trade in in-game currency. Once a ship is transferred, the middleman moves the real money from a paypal account to complete the transaction.

Star Citizen is about to do another run of LTI ships for the first time in 2 years. Just a few hundred, limited edition.

The interesting thing is that market analysts say it is not in Chris Roberts interest to ever release the game. He is generating more revenue and faster from ship pledge funding than he would likely get on sales of the game's release.

I think what we have here gentlemen, is a cyber Ponzi scheme.   8)

Rama Set

« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Virtual Virgin Galactic

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
[incoherent rambling]

Sorry, Thork. Had you lead the discussion with this, I would have fallen for it, but you already ruined the thread for yourself by looking for something to argue about earlier. The jig is up. Shoo.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 08, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
Really great on-topic posting, guys.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »
If we were to talk about the features in E:D the thread would be empty.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
911 911 my favorite space game just got rekt

Ghost of V

« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
How do the ships that require multiple people to pilot work exactly? Do they just sit in a hangar until your "guild" decides to us it? Or do they float around in space and work as a guild hub for lesser ships to fly in and out?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
911 911 my favorite space game just got rekt

If E:D is currently your favorite space game it must be the only space game you've ever played.

How do the ships that require multiple people to pilot work exactly? Do they just sit in a hangar until your "guild" decides to us it? Or do they float around in space and work as a guild hub for lesser ships to fly in and out?

You can hire NPCs to do various jobs at a lower efficiency than human players. When your friends/org members jump on they'll be able to join your ship by taking control of a NPC character. Ships like the Constellation will have multiple crew members, but you probably won't suffer much by having NPCs man the turrets, which is why I said that is (probably) the largest ship that can be effectively used by a solo player.

The devs have hinted that very large ships, such as the Idris, Javelin, or Bengal Carrier, won't be effectively crewed by only NPCs in order to avoid one-man army scenarios. These ships also don't disappear while logged off.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:47:23 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »
This older british youtuber is having trouble with ED
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #253 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
Hey, PP2, did you know the E:D community is effectively having a meltdown because the game is a month from release and it's about as entertaining as watching paint dry? Thought I'd let you know.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »
Like I already said, E:D is not an early access game. The version that we have is a build designed to test specific features; it is not latest and most complete build.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Like I already said, E:D is not an early access game. The version that we have is a build designed to test specific features; it is not latest and most complete build.

A month from release and you think they just held features back without testing them at all, just to surprise you at the end? Until I see otherwise I'm assuming that all that is going to be in the game at release is currently in the game.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »
Ok

They have an internal QA team. The features they send out into the public to be tested are those that involve large systems that require stress testing.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
I guess we'll find out what they are and aren't hiding in a month.

Ghost of V

« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2014, 01:25:28 AM »
You'd think they'd want to test out all the available features before releasing the full game. That's how most betas work. Unless they plan on treating early adopters of the game as beta testers by releasing new content over time via updates, which sounds kinda lame.