Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:09 AM »
The publicly available version of E:D is missing many things that have already been developed. It isn't an early access version of the game. It's a beta build meant to test specific features.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:33 AM »
I might be interested in checking out the final product, but not in every video detailing its development blow by blow.

You're the kind of person that goes into bookstores and just reads the ending in any book you pick up.

how is this even a remotely accurate comparison
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2014, 05:15:18 AM »
I might be interested in checking out the final product, but not in every video detailing its development blow by blow.

You're the kind of person that goes into bookstores and just reads the ending in any book you pick up.

how is this even a remotely accurate comparison

He wants to skip to the ending without finding out how anything got where it is!

« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »
In that case then everyone that plays video games has been doing it for years. Except the lucky beta testers (if there even was a beta) and in-house alpha testers.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
In that case then everyone that plays video games has been doing it for years.

The difference is Saddam is actively defers the information until the game is complete. Most people never encounter alpha/beta information and thus are never given the choice between looking and not looking. He doesn't want to watch the video specifically because the game isn't done.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
No, I'm just not interested in watching these development/demo videos.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
No, I'm just not interested in watching these development/demo videos.

well ur a retart

Thork

« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
I have just seen the prices for Star Citizen.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

The greed on display here is mind blowing. Would you like a game pack with a battleship? $15,000 please. Yeah, I'm not shitting you. You can spend $15,000 on this game to get the best ships.

So what if your wallet is a bit emptier? Well you can play the game in a skip for $30 but that doesn't give you access to the alpha and betas for the game. Most small ships will set you back $100. And that's before you have bought any upgrades for your ships.

Their pricing model is ridiculous. This is a game for the children of Chinese millionaires. Anyone else might as well hide in a small corner of the universe and hope never to be found.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:44:43 AM by Thork »

Ghost of V

« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
I... don't even...

You have to buy the game then pay an extra $30 minimum to play it?

Thork

« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »
I don't know ??? I'm assuming someone is going to call me an idiot and tell me I have it all wrong.

I'm waiting ...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:49 AM »
[...]

Thork has never seen a crowdfunded game before.

I... don't even...

You have to buy the game then pay an extra $30 minimum to play it?

No, you get a starter ship for backing the game at $30. All of the ships can be purchased in game using only in game money and the developers have said repeatedly they won't even be difficult to earn in game. Once the game is released you won't be able to buy ships anymore, as the ships are only pledges. While I admit they have been sucking money out of people like vampires, I don't see why they would refrain from doing so, they don't have a publisher  or investors, the game's lead designer is also the CEO of the company (that he created solely to make the game).

Ghost of V

« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »
That's not as bad. It's basically like a kicker-starter perk thing.

You said you could buy all those ships with in-game money, but then you said "Once the game is released you won't be able to buy ships anymore ... "

What?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »
That's not as bad. It's basically like a kicker-starter perk thing.

You said you could buy all those ships with in-game money, but then you said "Once the game is released you won't be able to buy ships anymore ... "

What?

They are extensions of the kickstarter campaign.

Also, I meant with real money. After the game is released they have said each player can buy up to ~100,000 (that isn't very much) of in-game currency with real money as both a way for the company to make money and deter gold bots. Star Citizen has no subscription. You can pay $30 and play the game when it is released. You can pay $40 and play the beta as well as the release. There is no real benefit to paying more than the base amount, especially buying the larger ships which require other people to operate.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:03:59 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Thork

« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2014, 01:03:44 AM »
Reading the forums, it looks like those are the prices. Those backers expect their ships to actually cost less as they were first in!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/15516/

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:56 AM »
Reading the forums, it looks like those are the prices. Those backers expect their ships to actually cost less as they were first in!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/15516/

Depends on when you pledge. If you pledged for a concept ship (this means the ships hasn't even been developed yet) then you receive a "discount" for pledging so early on. Then the later ships sales represent the rough equivalent price in game.

The lead designer, Chris Roberts, said he intends a Constellation, which sells for about $250 in the store, to take about 100 hours of gameplay to acquire. I hope that can give you a rough timeframe of how long it will take to get the other ships.

Thork

« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
100 hours for £250 ship. And some of the best ships are £5000 so 2000 hours. and then they need upgrades, another 2000 hours. And you'd spend and equal amount of time/money planetside ... another 4000 hours.

So if I play this game every single day for 2 hours, its going to take me 7 years to get one of the better ships?

I'm out. >:(

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
100 hours for £250 ship. And some of the best ships are £5000 so 2000 hours. and then they need upgrades, another 2000 hours. And you'd spend and equal amount of time/money planetside ... another 4000 hours.

So if I play this game every single day for 2 hours, its going to take me 7 years to get one of the better ships?

I'm out. >:(

The large Idris ship is meant for player organizations to buy. Even if you could buy one for yourself, what would you do with it? It has a crew requirement of at least 9 other people just to fly it around, much less do anything in combat. The Constellation is pretty much the largest ship meant for players who don't play in an organization, 100 hours is completely reasonable for the best ship a solo player would want to acquire.

Thork

« Reply #237 on: November 08, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »
100 hours? Just to get a good ship to play the game?

I don't have 100 hours to shit away playing a computer game.

Ghost of V

« Reply #238 on: November 08, 2014, 01:21:51 AM »

100 hours is a very small amount of time to spend for end-game content (or whatever you want to call it: good shit) for most gamers. Learn to play games.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:48 AM »

Just to get the solo-able multi-crew ship? Many MMOs take a lot longer than 100 hours to get to upper level gameplay. You don't even have to get the ship, if you intend on being a butt pirate the whole time then there would never be a reason to get the Constellation in the first place.

Well then don't play the game, christ. Its like you came into this thread wanting to be angry at the game.