Poll

Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
lol @ people giving gold to the OP of an AMA.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2014, 02:08:59 AM »
Damn. The FPS mechanics sound much more in-depth than I expected.

It isn't very hard for a marketing department to spew out what people want to hear. I won't be holding my breath to see half of the features they talk about, especially the little spiel about hiding in a crate.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2014, 04:42:21 AM »
The newer beta apparently added a "turret" class of weapon that automatically tracks targets in EVE-like fashion. An Anaconda can eat up anyone without even looking at them. Maneuvering your ship into the cockpit blind spots is pointless and fighting an Anaconda in anything other than another Anaconda is asking to get ganked. All the large ships also cost significantly more, with the Type-9 being around 60 million credits and the Anaconda being about 46. That isn't including the equipment you'd have to buy to deck them out.

The Eagle is now actually better than the Sidewinder which makes me happy. Bounty hunting with gimbaled multi-cannons makes a good 50-100k credits an hour. All in all I really like E:D so far but it still feels pretty empty. I pretty much log on, kill some people, then log off, which is funnily enough what I also do in Star Citizen.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
People actually tend not to use turrets very much, because they overheat very quickly.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
People actually tend not to use turrets very much, because they overheat very quickly.

A heatsink launcher makes overheat irrelevant.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

A heatsink launcher makes overheat irrelevant.

Well, no, because a heatsink launcher requires space and needs to be actively used. Turrets are also apparently just kind of a pain to use. I haven't used them myself, but people are saying they just kind of shoot whatever they want to, rather than what the pilot wants them to. I don't encounter ships with turrets very often, and I when I do, I get the impression that they're underpowered rather than overpowered.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
Well, no, because a heatsink launcher requires space and needs to be actively used.

Uhh, you mean like everything else in the game?

Turrets are also apparently just kind of a pain to use. I haven't used them myself, but people are saying they just kind of shoot whatever they want to, rather than what the pilot wants them to. I don't encounter ships with turrets very often, and I when I do, I get the impression that they're underpowered rather than overpowered.

I've heard the opposite, lots of people I've talked to agree that a "disco Anaconda" basically annihilates everything within range of its weapons (which is also ridiculous considering that is about 5km)

I watched a turret Anaconda destroy an authority Anaconda and five authority vipers. If that is underpowered, then me and you have two different definitions of that term.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
Well, no, because a heatsink launcher requires space and needs to be actively used.

Uhh, you mean like everything else in the game?

No. Many modules are passive. Having to actively use a heatsink launcher to manage heat generated by turret is a form of balance.

I've heard the opposite, lots of people I've talked to agree that a "disco Anaconda" basically annihilates everything within range of its weapons (which is also ridiculous considering that is about 5km)

I watched a turret Anaconda destroy an authority Anaconda and five authority vipers. If that is underpowered, then me and you have two different definitions of that term.

Well, I've seen an Eagle take out an Anaconda armed with two turrets, among other things, so there.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »
No. Many modules are passive. Having to actively use a heatsink launcher to manage heat generated by turret is a form of balance.

Having a module that can dissipate all heat instantly is far from what I would call balanced.

Well, I've seen an Eagle take out an Anaconda armed with two turrets, among other things, so there.

Arguing that you can easily defeat a badly fitted Anaconda is irrelevant. All of the authority vessels were armed to the teeth and the (properly equipped) Anaconda ripped them up anyway. Even worse is that a turret Anaconda requires little to no effort to pilot. Target, hit the fire button, launch heatsinks when necessary. That is approaching EVE-level fighting effort.

Also, it sounds like you're talking specifically about beam laser turrets. Multicannon turrets suffer little to no heat issues.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
I'm finding it very difficult to care about what you're saying. Go ahead and load up on turrets. Go ahead and marry them while you're at it. Just don't baw your heart out when I slice you up with my gimbaled weapons while your turrets are locked onto the nearest asteroid or on fire.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
I'm finding it very difficult to care about what you're saying. Go ahead and load up on turrets. Go ahead and marry them while you're at it. Just don't baw your heart out when I slice you up with my gimbaled weapons while your turrets are locked onto the nearest asteroid or on fire.

If you're so hardcore why are you using gimbals at all. The pros use fixed mount multicannon and manually lead their shots. Stop being such a pleb.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
Beta 3.0 is out now. Mining was added. I haven't tried it yet but from what I've heard and seen, I'm not exactly itching slap mining lasers onto my ship.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
FPS Reveal of Star Citizen:

They've already said they're working on adding their motion capture movements to the game, so try to ignore the almost hilarious way the characters move around.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:26:38 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »
No thoughts, PP2? I'm disappointed. There is literally no one else here interested in the space sim master race gaming genre.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2014, 11:50:51 PM »
No thoughts, PP2? I'm disappointed. There is literally no one else here interested in the space sim master race gaming genre.
Incorrect.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2014, 12:44:49 AM »
I am, I'm just poor and there's a few games coming out that are more worthy of my money.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:16 AM »
I might be interested in checking out the final product, but not in every video detailing its development blow by blow.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »
I might be interested in checking out the final product, but not in every video detailing its development blow by blow.

You're the kind of person that goes into bookstores and just reads the ending in any book you pick up.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
I might be more interested if you actually stayed on topic. I would tell you to use the Star Citizen thread that you created, but, as you say, nobody else seems to care, so it makes sense to keep these space sim shenanigans to one thread. All of the FPS action looks great, it's just hard to get very excited when release is so far away (and E:D is so close).

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2014, 02:34:44 AM »
I might be more interested if you actually stayed on topic. I would tell you to use the Star Citizen thread that you created, but, as you say, nobody else seems to care, so it makes sense to keep these space sim shenanigans to one thread. All of the FPS action looks great, it's just hard to get very excited when release is so far away (and E:D is so close).

Does E:D really feel like a release-level game to you? It doesn't to me. They keep saying "yes, definite release before the end of the year" but that strikes me as very odd. If Star Citizen lives up to what it wants to be, it is going to make E:D look like X: Rebirth.