Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
In Star Citizen, travel speed, celestial object size, and human size were not all scaled in a way that retains a 1:1 relationship with reality. Your analogy would make more sense if my room were 10% of its original size and I were 50% of my original size.

Roberts states that they "won't go fully accurate" because "that would be boring" when referring to the physical size of systems. Why would he say that if the systems were 1:1 with reality?

This dirty homeless person says that the planets "won't be quite life sized". Again, why would he say that if the relationship between the size of a person with the size of a planet retained a 1:1 ratio?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
In Star Citizen, travel speed, celestial object size, and human size were not all scaled in a way that retains a 1:1 relationship with reality. Your analogy would make more sense if my room were 10% of its original size and I were 50% of my original size.

Yet that's not how it is scaled.

Roberts states that they "won't go fully accurate" because "that would be boring" when referring to the physical size of systems. Why would he say that if the systems were 1:1 with reality?

Could you refer me to the exact time he said that?

This dirty homeless person says that the planets "won't be quite life sized". Again, why would he say that if the relationship between the size of a person with the size of a planet retained a 1:1 ratio?

This is most likely because they don't think of scales in the manner that 1:10000 is still life-sized. These are all developers, SC has no marketing team at all. The thought that simply because things are smaller in game does not mean they could still say 1:1 ratio probably doesn't cross their mind.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
The time should be embedded within the link, but it's at around 17:48

Yet that's not how it is scaled.

Those percentages were not meant to be specific. It's an analogy. The point is that the size of a human in comparison to everything else is greater than it is in E:D.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »
The time should be embedded within the link, but it's at around 17:48

Chris Roberts wasn't talking about planets, in fact, the question didn't even mention that. He is directly referring to the amount of "nothingness" in game, which will not be fully accurate because he is correct, that would be boring. Real space is full of empty boring near-vacuum.

The point is that the size of a human in comparison to everything else is greater than it is in E:D.

Which is why I said "yet that's not how it is scaled" The human size is scaled to the universe.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

Huh, here's another video of a different developer talking about how theoretically they might be able to achieve a planetary scale of 1:100. Strange how all of these devs are making the same mistake and not describing the scale as 1:1.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
Huh, here's another video of a different developer talking about how theoretically they might be able to achieve a planetary scale of 1:100. Strange how all of these devs are making the same mistake and not describing the scale as 1:1.

Funny, I have yet to see any of them describe the humans as 1:1. They keep saying "the universe" and the only way your argument works is if they scaled everything but the people. Since Chris Roberts refers to the scaling as different than 1:1 it's no surprise they would simply follow his colloquial wording.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

Funny, I have yet to see any of them describe the humans as 1:1. They keep saying "the universe" and the only way your argument works is if they scaled everything but the people. Since Chris Roberts refers to the scaling as different than 1:1 it's no surprise they would simply follow his colloquial wording.

Who keeps saying "the universe"? The word "universe" isn't used in any of the videos I linked. They talk about "the solar system" and "planets".

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
Who keeps saying "the universe"? The word "universe" isn't used in any of the videos I linked. They talk about "the solar system" and "planets".

The only video and time you've given me used the word "nothingness" You keep posting videos without times and expecting me to watch the whole thing listening for keywords.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
So you just made something up about videos you hadn't watched and hoped for the best? Why are you shitting this thread up so badly? This is probably turning people away from both games. Anyway, every link I gave should take you to the correct time. You're probably just being ultra retarded. The relevant part of the second video begins at 7:40, and the third at 28:25

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
So you just made something up about videos you hadn't watched and hoped for the best? Why are you shitting this thread up so badly? This is probably turning people away from both games. Anyway, every link I gave should take you to the correct time. You're probably just being ultra retarded. The relevant part of the second video begins at 7:40, and the third at 28:25

Both developers said they haven't even confirmed the actual scale of the game. Also, there are many, many more videos than just the ones you posted, and yes, many do refer to the entire universe being scaled. Also, no the links you give don't have the time embedded because of the way FES embeds videos. I'm not going to bother copy/pasting your links, so you better start pasting times or prepare for me to ignore them.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »
Anybody else want to contribute now?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

You already know I'm the only other STEM master race poster on this forum. No one else is going to give any shits about two space simulation games.

Ghost of V

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
They should port them to xbawks.  Otherwise fuck it because if it's not on a console it's not a real game imo.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »

You already know I'm the only other STEM master race poster on this forum. No one else is going to give any shits about two space simulation games.

I find that hard to believe. I thought FES is full of euphoric scientists who are enlightened by their own intelligence.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
No, this thread makes it pretty clear that it's just you and Rushy that care.

A&A would join in if he didn't hate this forum.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

Yeah, why is that? Did he get Thork'd one too many times, or what?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »

Yeah, why is that? Did he get Thork'd one too many times, or what?
He got tired of the same old discussions, too many "he is" and rubber duck pictures, and he gets bored of the troll game pretty quickly.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Very understandable. Still, I miss those puns.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:18:45 AM by Alexandyr »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
Personally, I'm more interested in E:D.  It sounds like the more ambitious and original game, and its title is (slightly) less dumb.  That being said, no space simulator will ever manage to top Privateer 2: The Darkening.  That one had Christopher Walken in it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2014, 03:15:50 AM »
Sounds like the score is Elite - 2 Scam Shitizen - 1