Poll

Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
Is there an invite system or something with this game? Because I'm a cheap cunt and I don't want to drop 50 pounds on a beta.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »
Is there an invite system or something with this game? Because I'm a cheap cunt and I don't want to drop 50 pounds on a beta.

No. You either buy beta now or pay for the full game at a cheaper price point. I'd suggest waiting, given that any money you grind out of the game will magically disappear once the full game is released.

In reply to Snupes' video, smuggling is a really awful way to make money. Hopefully there will soon be more lucrative cargo to haul, because as it stands, the time you're taking to scoop cargo and sneak it around is too much compared to how fast it is to trade legally. The game currently has no real black market items. The only "smuggling" you do is with stolen cargo, which is only worth it if you find a bunch of uranium or gold.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:36:39 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »
I found out that ramming (and destroying) other players or NPCs does not incur any type of response from the security forces. I accidentally rammed a sidewinder with my hauler while entering a docking port and it subsequently exploded. The hauler's shields are exceptionally strong and didn't even budge.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2014, 05:07:00 AM »
Do you have to have a shiny modern gaming rig to run this game properly, or could you run it on a less-advanced machine?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
Do you have to have a shiny modern gaming rig to run this game properly, or could you run it on a less-advanced machine?

Space games are never particularly demanding, considering they are made up of mostly space. They do have minimum specs available:

Direct X 11
    Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
    2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
    DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
    Internet connection

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
>1GB VRAM

Literally four times more powerful than my computer
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
>1GB VRAM

I think you might be mistaking a large baking potato to be your computer.

Thork

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
>1GB VRAM

I think you might be mistaking a large baking potato to be your computer.
Mine has chips in it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »
Arena Commander is temporarily free to play. I hate it already, and I'm just trying to register.

You need a login ID that is distinct from your "community monicker" and your "handle", and you have to look at this interface:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:37:13 PM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
What are you confused about?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
Nothing, it's just ugly and ineffective. Placing the labels for input fields far away from the fields and connecting them with a series of zagging lines doesn't look cool, and it reduces readability.

Ghost of V

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Yeah, it seems a bit counter-intuitive. I don't understand why the text isn't near the respective box?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Nothing, it's just ugly and ineffective. Placing the labels for input fields far away from the fields and connecting them with a series of zagging lines doesn't look cool, and it reduces readability.

We've already discussed that aesthetics are personal preference and therefore irrelevant. I don't like E:D's orangey HUDs or their cheese shapes, but win some lose some I guess.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »

We've already discussed that aesthetics are personal preference and therefore irrelevant. I don't like E:D's orangey HUDs or their cheese shapes, but win some lose some I guess.

This is also a matter of readability, which is a form of functionality.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »

I didn't have a problem reading it; considering how many others have signed up and that you're the first I've seen to complain about it, lots of other people probably didn't have a problem either.

Also, the color of the HUD is arguably a form of functionality as well.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »

I didn't have a problem reading it; considering how many others have signed up and that you're the first I've seen to complain about it, lots of other people probably didn't have a problem either.

People aren't complaining about it because it isn't a big deal. It's just a minor example of poor web design.

Also, the color of the HUD is arguably a form of functionality as well.

Indeed, which is why orange was chosen.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
People aren't complaining about it because it isn't a big deal. It's just a minor example of poor web design.

It's an example of what is, in your opinion, poor web design. You keep talking as if there is an objective truth to the situation and you are the bearer of it. If anything, this is just you looking for things wrong with the game before you even play it (and failing to do so).

Indeed, which is why orange was chosen.

I find the orange HUD harder to read than the brighter blue HUDs in SC. Monitors in general are bright objects. If this were an actual spaceship, I'd probably choose red or orange, but since this is actually a backlit LCD monitor visualizing a spaceship, blue is the better option.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:51:39 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
It's an example of what is, in your opinion, poor web design. You keep talking as if there is an objective truth to the situation and you are the bearer of it. If anything, this is just you looking for things wrong with the game before you even play it (and failing to do so).

I was originally just joking, but if you want to have a full blown autistic discussion about this, then please, explain how zigging labels far away from their respective input fields is an improvement or even equal to placing the labels right next to the fields where they can be more quickly identified and read.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
I was originally just joking, but if you want to have a full blown autistic discussion about this, then please, explain how zigging labels far away from their respective input fields is an improvement or even equal to placing the labels right next to the fields where they can be more quickly identified and read.

It looks cool.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »
Alright then. I think we've identified the major difference in design philosophy between E:D and SC.