Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Why internet reliant products are bad
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/googles-nest-closing-smart-home-company-revolv-bricking-devices-2016-4

The fact that any product that controls your home needs to access a server online is both absolutely stupid and an obvious play at control.  There is no reason that any home management hardware needs a server outside of your home.  None.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why internet reliant products are bad
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »
There is no reason that any home management hardware needs a server outside of your home.  None.

What about price. It would be cheaper to have one server that controls many houses rather than individual servers.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »
There is no reason that any home management hardware needs a server outside of your home.  None.

What about price. It would be cheaper to have one server that controls many houses rather than individual servers.
Not if you juat require the customer to install it on their home pc.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »

So, then customer knowledge seems to be a huge reason to have an outsider server. Is every consumer expected to know how to set up and maintain a server to use the product? Seems like a very, very narrow market.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »

So, then customer knowledge seems to be a huge reason to have an outsider server. Is every consumer expected to know how to set up and maintain a server to use the product? Seems like a very, very narrow market.
Then add a server hardware as part of the package.  Something akin to a router.  And really, a smart house is not somehing for the computer illiterate.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »
Um, you have the ultimate surveillance tool sitting in your pocket for 80% of the day. I don't think the fed gives a flying fuck how cool you keep your house.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:23:49 AM »
Um, you have the ultimate surveillance tool sitting in your pocket for 80% of the day. I don't think the fed gives a flying fuck how cool you keep your house.

You didn't read the article, did you?
This isn't a privacy thing this is a "your expensive smart house system is now bricked because we turned off the servers" thing.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:25:47 AM »

Then add a server hardware as part of the package.  Something akin to a router.  And really, a smart house is not somehing for the computer illiterate.

Now we are adding hardware? I'm close to envoking the Dave Dance here.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 06:41:51 AM »

Now we are adding hardware? I'm close to envoking the Dave Dance here.
Well when you think a software solution is too hard, what else am I gonna suggest?

Point is: everyone who spent hundreds of dollars on that smart home system now has a bunch of devices that are useless.  All because the company decided to focus on another product and shut down their servers.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/googles-nest-closing-smart-home-company-revolv-bricking-devices-2016-4

The fact that any product that controls your home needs to access a server online is both absolutely stupid and an obvious play at control.  There is no reason that any home management hardware needs a server outside of your home.  None.

Be that as it may, where the home management controller lies might be the least of your worries.
“Internet of Things” security is hilariously broken and getting worse
Shodan search engine is only the latest reminder of why we need to fix IoT security.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 05:27:42 AM »
>Using Shodan to troll baby cams
>Latest
Fuck, why do websites get away with reporting news that's literally decades out of date? Why must there always be a markjo to find it relevant?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
Well when you think a software solution is too hard, what else am I gonna suggest?

Point is: everyone who spent hundreds of dollars on that smart home system now has a bunch of devices that are useless.  All because the company decided to focus on another product and shut down their servers.

Why can't you just admit that there are real reasons why one would want home management functionality hosted on an outside server but we'll both agree that it's likely not the best idea?

Thork

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
I have a thermostat. It allows me to set when I want the heating and water on or off. I don't need Google for that.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »

Why can't you just admit that there are real reasons why one would want home management functionality hosted on an outside server but we'll both agree that it's likely not the best idea?
I can and shall. 

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
I have a thermostat. It allows me to set when I want the heating and water on or off. I don't need Google for that.

That's exactly Dave's point. It should be locally hosted.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Thork

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
I'm agreeing with him. I can take either side of an argument. I don't have to oppose the OP.