Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: PR Brainstorming
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
Another idea: We can all do a group Reddit AMA about the Flat Earth Society.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
Also, if Tom is going to be the official spokesperson, could he at least change his avatar? We can't let C. Wayne Holland, DDS of North Carolina unknowingly become the public face of the latest Flat Earth Society splinter group.
He's hit the point where a reverse Google image search of his avatar suggests a text search for "Tom Bishop", and usually finds no references to C. Wayne Holland. It's pretty much his trademark at this point.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
What's the aim of the PR?

Is it to make this forum more recognised, is it to promote flat earth theory, is it to expose a conspiracy, is it all three or is it something I haven't mentioned?

The PR should be tailored to achieve those aims of which some require this society to get its 'ducks in a row' i.e. a complete and agreed upon flat earth theory or a complete section on the conspiracy.

Thork

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
Quote from: DDDDAts all folks link=topic=1166.msg15274#msg15274
The PR should be tailored to achieve those aims of which some require this society to get its 'ducks in a row' i.e. a complete and agreed upon flat earth theory or a complete section on the conspiracy.
Yawn. No. Whilst you Markjo and Rama Set keep asking for this, it's not our priority at all. We encourage a diverse set of ideas and opinions and I know I certainly don't want to force other FErs into accepting my particular brand of FET.

I get that it would make it infinitely easier for you and your cohorts to make threads in roving hoards on a narrower spectrum of information, but my responsibility is not to you. It's to the Flat Earth Society, so suck it up Ringo and stop whining like a little girl.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »

This is a brilliant idea. We can do it immediately after the news articles start coming out.

It's all very well to generate publicity, but what is the media going to make of this place? What exactly has been done here to qualify this "society" as a serious contender to the old one? Tintagel is quite right when she suggests some actual work ought to be done first.

I think a nice new annotated edition of Zetetic Astronomy is a cool idea. Or maybe something relatively inexpensive, like a campaign to revamp and really flesh out the wiki, compile Flat Earth literature like Daniel did, release regular (or semi-regular) articles explaining individual aspects of FET in a detailed yet accessible fashion, or maybe addressing the latest NASA press release (NASAwatch - "we watch globularist propaganda so you don't have to"?), pointing out exactly why we know they're full of shit. I'm sure some of us would be more than happy to volunteer in any such projects. The council might even hammer out some kind of distinct manifesto, outlining the precise principles and goals of the society.

A slightly different logo and a well-run forum isn't quite enough to distinguish one organization from another. Of course, it'd be a little easier if there was some variation in the name; the "Universal Zetetic Society" would be good, lending itself to the claim of being the rightful successor to Blount, Carpenter, and Rowbotham, but it just isn't as catchy or recognizable as the "Flat Earth Society". It will have to be entirely the efforts of the members here to set this place apart.

I have an opposite view. I'm afraid that if we don't start getting a strong influx of noobs soon, regulars will start abandoning this forum and returning to dotorg. Something like Tintagel's annotated ENaG (which I'm strongly in support of, btw) is going to take time, and I'm not certain we actually have that much time. I feel that getting the forum popular should be our top priority.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Let it be noted, on thif day, that The Holy Council did desireth the noob, and make planf for fuch as to attracteth the noob. Let it be further noted, on thif day, that wenn fuch noobf doth appear, there fhall be much howleth and cryeth and gesticulateth unto the noob. Fpake fuchlike: Fucking noobs cometh here. But in their heartf they fhall be content. And all fhall be good. And all fhall be well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:26:21 PM by fappenhosen »

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »

This is a brilliant idea. We can do it immediately after the news articles start coming out.

It's all very well to generate publicity, but what is the media going to make of this place? What exactly has been done here to qualify this "society" as a serious contender to the old one? Tintagel is quite right when she suggests some actual work ought to be done first.

I think a nice new annotated edition of Zetetic Astronomy is a cool idea. Or maybe something relatively inexpensive, like a campaign to revamp and really flesh out the wiki, compile Flat Earth literature like Daniel did, release regular (or semi-regular) articles explaining individual aspects of FET in a detailed yet accessible fashion, or maybe addressing the latest NASA press release (NASAwatch - "we watch globularist propaganda so you don't have to"?), pointing out exactly why we know they're full of shit. I'm sure some of us would be more than happy to volunteer in any such projects. The council might even hammer out some kind of distinct manifesto, outlining the precise principles and goals of the society.

A slightly different logo and a well-run forum isn't quite enough to distinguish one organization from another. Of course, it'd be a little easier if there was some variation in the name; the "Universal Zetetic Society" would be good, lending itself to the claim of being the rightful successor to Blount, Carpenter, and Rowbotham, but it just isn't as catchy or recognizable as the "Flat Earth Society". It will have to be entirely the efforts of the members here to set this place apart.

I have an opposite view. I'm afraid that if we don't start getting a strong influx of noobs soon, regulars will start abandoning this forum and returning to dotorg. Something like Tintagel's annotated ENaG (which I'm strongly in support of, btw) is going to take time, and I'm not certain we actually have that much time. I feel that getting the forum popular should be our top priority.

It's a time consuming process - of course the text and diagrams are freely available (and I can even scan my hard copy, if there aren't print quality diagrams available elsewhere), the layout is a snap, cover art is a no-brainer.  THe time-consuming process would be the annotations.

Mea culpa, here.  I misinterpreted "PR" as being an abbreviation for "Press Release."  What can I say - too many years in marketing, and thought that beginning work on a project like this would make a dandy topic for a press release, is all.

Speaking of that, I have another idea I've been noodling on that may fit this topic.  I'll make a proof-of-concept for and share here soon.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
Let it be noted, on thif day, that The Holy Council did desireth the noob, and make planf for fuch as to attracteth the noob. Let it be further noted, on thif day, that wenn fuch noobf doth appear, there fhall be much howleth and cryeth and gesticulateth unto the noob. Fpake fuchlike: Fucking noobs cometh here. But in their heartf they fhall be content. And all shall be good. And all fhall be well.
Crusty, not in the upper fora.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
Well, since I mentioned it, I need to get some input anyway.  New idea I've been noodling on:  FES "tracts" laid out so they can be easily printed with any inkjet, cut, folded, and distributed., allowing all of our members to easily spread the word to folks who likely haven't heard of us (or the old site).  Each one would be dedicated to answering a question or two from the FAQ or covering a fact or three about earth's shape, with the back page prompting the reader to visit us here.

I can design them so that 3 or 4 tracts print on one sheet of paper, and make them black-and-white so they can be easily and cheaply printed and/or copied.  What I'd like to have is some input on content.  I could easily use some Rowbotham diagrams and snippets of the FAQ, but do we want to get into other, more modern ideas like aether or DE? 

Alternatively, is this a terrible idea?

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »
Crusty, not in the upper fora.

Again, that isn't my name.

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »
Well, since I mentioned it, I need to get some input anyway.  New idea I've been noodling on:  FES "tracts" laid out so they can be easily printed with any inkjet, cut, folded, and distributed.

Didn't Rowbotham already do this? Just print his stuff.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »
Well, since I mentioned it, I need to get some input anyway.  New idea I've been noodling on:  FES "tracts" laid out so they can be easily printed with any inkjet, cut, folded, and distributed.

Didn't Rowbotham already do this? Just print his stuff.

Have you seen a physical copy of Earth Not a Globe, or tried to read the whole thing?  I have a copy, and I have read it several times.  It is by no means a tract.  It's fairly weighty, actually, both in terms of length of the book, and in the "dryness" of the language.   It would be like handing out copies of Euclid's "The Elements" to try to entice people to study mathematics.

Also, modern FET contains some improvements on Rowbotham's original work.  That said, it certainly would be a major source of content, albeit very distilled.

What I'm talking about is a small, business-card sized folded piece of paper, compelling graphic on the front "Do people REALLY believe the Earth is flat?" or similar hook, that unfolds with 6 small panels of factoids and ends with a call to action to visit the site. 

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
Have you seen a physical copy of Earth Not a Globe, or tried to read the whole thing?

No and not really. But I'm pretty sure he, or maybe one of his gang, did print out leaflets and hand them out outside ummm I don't know tram depots. Maybe I dreamt it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 02:25:25 AM »
Something like Tintagel's annotated ENaG (which I'm strongly in support of, btw) is going to take time, and I'm not certain we actually have that much time. I feel that getting the forum popular should be our top priority.

There are ways of generating traffic that do not entail running to news outlets. Remember, once this FES makes its grand entrance on the media scene, it won't be able to redo it. It should have something to show for itself if people are to take serious note. You need to make it count. After all, anyone can set up a forum and declare themselves the new Flat Earth Society. Why should this place get any attention?

If you're really worried about people getting bored and slipping away, provide them something to do here. Give the members some projects to complete and some goals to reach; put them to work and create a more productive environment. Since you consider Tintagel's ENaG to be too long-term, how about the other ideas I threw out there (that everyone seems to be ignoring)?

Okay. Let's discuss that in another thread, though.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »

This is a good idea. 

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Yawn. No. Whilst you Markjo and Rama Set keep asking for this, it's not our priority at all. We encourage a diverse set of ideas and opinions and I know I certainly don't want to force other FErs into accepting my particular brand of FET.

I get that it would make it infinitely easier for you and your cohorts to make threads in roving hoards on a narrower spectrum of information, but my responsibility is not to you. It's to the Flat Earth Society, so suck it up Ringo and stop whining like a little girl.

If you want to make your post into some kind of passive insult by calling me a little girl then that's up to you. I'm sorry but I'm not going to entertain you further on that point, it's ridiculous.

I don't care about a coherent flat earth theory. I just think it's wise to understand what it is you're trying to promote. I used that as an example because if you chose to promote that aspect of the Flat earth society then I suggest you get it right or you will look foolish. If the council (not just yourself by the way) thinks it's right to have multiple flat earth theories then I suggest you promote that in the wikki etc.. and give the alternative theories. At the moment it seems to be in disarray.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »

If you want to make your post into some kind of passive insult by calling me a little girl then that's up to you. I'm sorry but I'm not going to entertain you further on that point, it's ridiculous.

I don't care about a coherent flat earth theory. I just think it's wise to understand what it is you're trying to promote. I used that as an example because if you chose to promote that aspect of the Flat earth society then I suggest you get it right or you will look foolish. If the council (not just yourself by the way) thinks it's right to have multiple flat earth theories then I suggest you promote that in the wikki etc.. and give the alternative theories. At the moment it seems to be in disarray.

We plan to. It's one of our bigger goals

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a product worth promoting before you worry about how to best promote it.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
We could create an officialflatearthsociety tumblr. That could potentially get us a lot of PR.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
We could create an officialflatearthsociety tumblr. That could potentially get us a lot of PR.

Tumblr has a lot of undesirables.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.