What are you doing here?
« on: June 10, 2023, 08:46:33 PM »
Hello!
I am writing a paper on Flat Earth for a research class and I was wondering if anyone would want to tell me about themselves? It's a very broad question, I'm just curious about how you happened upon the FES, what your interests are, etc etc. Really, anything and everything you want to share is much appreciated!
Additionally, I can ask questions if you want to prompt answers, I think just talking unfettered about yourself is sometimes overwhelming so let me know if I can ask anything to help you along your way.
Thank you!

Re: What are you doing here?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 08:48:24 PM »
Also any beliefs or theories you have, whether related to FE or not, would be appreciated! In my paper, I can also exclude names and just refer to you as your username or even just "anonymous." It's not a paper that will be published anywhere, just something for a class that I am taking.

Dual1ty

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 11:01:50 PM »
You seem confused about the subject. This is what FE is about:

A or B?

If you say B, you are a reality denier.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »
Hi, Im here because the Bible supports a flat earth geocentric model, not a globe earth heliocentric model. There is nowhere in the Bible that says the earth is spinning around real fast nor does it say the earth revolves around the sun, in fact its just the opposite. Many verses say the sun moves around the earth. Many verses in the Bible to back that up. Also if you search flat earth in youtube, the first videos that come up are ones that oppose the notion of flat earth with rather shady proof and the videos that support it are totally throttled back, you got to really dig deep for them, many have been removed. But if you look up aliens or bigfoot,many videos come up supporting these notions. Many videos showing NASA is lying as well. Its just all too surreal. The world is run by satan and he does not want the truth out. THE EARTH IS FLAT.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 11:50:01 PM »

A or B?

I seems you're relying on the assumption that water in a relatively small container, such as a 1 metre long hog trough is flat. And by flat, I mean 100% flat. If that were true, there would never be any curvature no matter how far out you extended the trough, thereby staying flat as far as you can go and proving that the earth is flat. But, that's a false premise.

The earths circumference is 40,000 kms, which is 40,000,000 m. Therefore, a 1 metre trough would have to have 360 degrees / 40,000,000 metres = .000009 degrees of curvature to it from end to end. Can you see or measure .000009 degrees? Nope. Looks as flat as flat can be, which feeds the false premise on which you base your entire point.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 05:22:50 AM »

A or B?

Indeed, but I doubt anyone IS claiming B.  "Level" means a structure perpendicular to the force of gravity at that point so on a globe earth (the earth we clearly are on) such s structure must follow the curve of the earth and hence will not be straight.  Over short distances (like you house) this can not be observed but over miles (as your diagram depicts) you certainly can do so.
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Dual1ty

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 09:52:05 AM »
I doubt anyone IS claiming B.  "Level" means a structure perpendicular to the force of gravity at that point so on a globe earth (the earth we clearly are on) such s structure must follow the curve of the earth and hence will not be straight.  Over short distances (like you house) this can not be observed but over miles (as your diagram depicts) you certainly can do so.

Pathetic.

You can see that every hypothetical perfectly square block would be attached parallel to each other. So, only the first one uses gravity as a reference. That would make the structure STRAIGHT & LEVEL, as you can see in the diagram. TRUE level - not the modern definition of level that the globe cult invented.

Also, I'm talking about a tangible experiment, not just an observation which is what the globe proponents have been doing for millennia while not understanding their observations.

Let's see what lies, excuses and squirming come next...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 09:54:57 AM by Dual1ty »

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
I doubt anyone IS claiming B.  "Level" means a structure perpendicular to the force of gravity at that point so on a globe earth (the earth we clearly are on) such s structure must follow the curve of the earth and hence will not be straight.  Over short distances (like you house) this can not be observed but over miles (as your diagram depicts) you certainly can do so.

Pathetic.

You can see that every hypothetical perfectly square block would be attached parallel to each other. So, only the first one uses gravity as a reference. That would make the structure STRAIGHT & LEVEL, as you can see in the diagram. TRUE level - not the modern definition of level that the globe cult invented.
I assumed that by "level" you meant that a spirit level placed anywhere on the squares would show the bubble in dead center.  In your diagram that would be the case at the left hand edge, but not further to the right.  For miles long structures they can not be both straight and level (as observed by humans with devices like spirit levels).  Perhaps you should find a highway engineer to chat with.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:08:44 PM by ichoosereality »
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »
B has been observed.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 09:09:14 PM »
B has been observed.
Only if "level" is required only at the far left and not for the entire length of the straight gray slab.

Dual1ty

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 10:08:39 PM »

Pathetic.

I assumed that by "level" you meant that a spirit level placed anywhere on the squares would show the bubble in dead center.  In your diagram that would be the case at the left hand edge, but not further to the right.  For miles long structures they can not be both straight and level (as observed by humans with devices like spirit levels).  Perhaps you should find a highway engineer to chat with.

It would because we live on a flat Earth and not a globe, and level means perfectly straight/horizontal - aka. lakes and oceans do not curve.

You doubt it? Go tell NASA or any gov. institution to do the experiment. I would cost maybe $1 or $2 million - peanuts for NASA or gov., and they can easily turn it into a for-profit tourist attraction because we need something permanent and not just "trust us, we did it and the water does curve".

To this day, the globe cult you belong to has not done this experiment and refuses to even mention it. Because it's not a globe.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 10:14:48 PM »

The modern definition of level uses gravity as a reference.  That's why level isn't necessarily straight over long distances.
6a: a line or surface that cuts perpendicularly all plumb lines that it meets and hence would everywhere coincide with a surface of still water
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 10:30:01 PM »
To this day, the globe cult you belong to has not done this experiment and refuses to even mention it. Because it's not a globe.
What experiment would that be?

Dual1ty

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 10:47:15 PM »

The modern definition of level uses gravity as a reference.  That's why level isn't necessarily straight over long distances.
6a: a line or surface that cuts perpendicularly all plumb lines that it meets and hence would everywhere coincide with a surface of still water

Well, the pus inside your troll zits might be curved, but the surface of still water certainly is not.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 01:05:03 AM »
Well, the pus inside your troll zits might be curved, but the surface of still water certainly is not.
Just out of curiosity, do you have anything of substance to offer to the discussion or is your debate strategy limited to false premises, incredulity and mockery?

A or B?

If you propose B, then you don't understand RET.  If your water level in B is curved, then the level structure must be curved as well.  Level is not a meaningful test of round vs. flat, straightness is. 

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 08:06:13 AM »
Not exactly clear what experiment you are proposing but large scale structures take account of the earth's curve in a way which can be measured

https://www.spacecentre.nz/resources/faq/solar-system/earth/flat/structures.html

And this experiment shows a building increasingly disappearing with increasing distance. What's it sinking behind if it's not the earth's curve?

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Dual1ty

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 09:31:05 AM »
"No need to prove there is curvature because we have cherrypicked observations and claims of curvature. That is good enough for us." - Said every globe defender ever.

It really is some tribal groupthink nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 10:47:38 AM by Dual1ty »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 08:19:53 PM »
"No need to prove there is curvature because we have cherrypicked observations and claims of curvature. That is good enough for us." - Said every globe defender ever.

It really is some tribal groupthink nonsense.
It is neither groupthink nor cherry picked observation.  They are observations that you can make yourself, if you dare.

Dual1ty

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 10:33:59 PM »
Honestly, you should be banned for saying it's not cherrypicked. IMO.

Refraction + perspective = curve? Funny how globe believers always want to take it there because they have no experiments. It's beyond pathetic at this point. So maybe you should retire instead - being a globe defender can't be good for your mental health...

We already know that it's flat (even through observations we know that it's flat), there's really no need for you to keep posting and roleplaying the anonymous globe defender.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 07:31:09 AM »
Refraction + perspective = curve?
I don't know if you're talking about the Turning Torso video but
1) Refraction over water typically bends light in such a way that you can see more of an object than you would expect if we didn't have an atmosphere.
2) Perspective makes things smaller, it doesn't explain half a building being hidden by the curve of the earth - if you dispute that's what's hiding the building then what is? I've explained in '1' why it isn't refraction.

We already know that it's flat (even through observations we know that it's flat)
You keep saying that, but when challenged you never present any observations apart from highly cherry picked high altitude pictures in another thread, one of which shows the horizon bending upwards which clearly indicates some lens distortion.