Thork

Re: Start from the VERY top!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
The earth isn't infinite. This is the delusion of John Davis. Why we keep getting roped into this stupid theory I will never know.

An infinite earth would bisect the universe, act like a floor. It would also allow you to traverse the galaxy by car. Nothing in nature is infinite. An infinite earth has to have infinite mass. ergo either infinite gravity - all the stars are now stuck to the floor, or infinite acceleration with infinite power to move the earth upwards to give us an equivalence. John Davis is not a very smart man. Can we stop looking to his answers as ones that might have some credibility?

Offline Space Angel

• Fledgling Zeteticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
The earth isn't infinite. This is the delusion of John Davis. Why we keep getting roped into this stupid theory I will never know.

An infinite earth would bisect the universe, act like a floor. It would also allow you to traverse the galaxy by car. Nothing in nature is infinite. An infinite earth has to have infinite mass. ergo either infinite gravity - all the stars are now stuck to the floor, or infinite acceleration with infinite power to move the earth upwards to give us an equivalence. John Davis is not a very smart man. Can we stop looking to his answers as ones that might have some credibility?

Who is John Davis? The idea of an "infite flat Earth" reminds me of an image I found while doing research on FET. It's a religious concept I think. Most FE theorists believe that the Earth is finite, but no one is really sure what the true measure of it is. 

Thork

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm not going to get drawn into this. There is only one shape that you can travel along infinitely in a straight line - a God damn sphere! >o<

Ghost of V

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
I agree with Thork. Infinite Earth theory is bogus. Unsupportable, and theoretically impossible from everything we already know. I don't see why anyone would subscribe to a theory like that, other than a juvenile need to be different.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »

I think you're misinterpreting, but that's not exactly surprising coming from you, and I'm sure you've no interest in my explaining it to you because I could never manage to sway you from your own sense of superiority.

I'd just like to add that while I personally like the idea of an infinite earth, I don't believe that those who believe in a finite one are "stupid" and would never say such things.  Why does Thork insist on making enemies where there should be allies?

I agree with Thork. Infinite Earth theory is bogus. Unsupportable, and theoretically impossible from everything we already know. I don't see why anyone would subscribe to a theory like that, other than a juvenile need to be different.

I suppose modern physicists who are developing a theory that the entire 3-dimensional universe is a holographic projection from a 2d plane just have a juvenile need to be different as well?   My belief in an infinite earth has nothing to do with a juvenile need to be different.  I'm just being honest.

But if the Earth is infinite, how would such a horizone occur at all?

The vanishing point would exist even on an infinite horizon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:11:43 PM by Tintagel »

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
I'm not going to get drawn into this. There is only one shape that you can travel along infinitely in a straight line - a God damn sphere! >o<

Mobius would like a word with you, for one.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:12:22 PM by Tintagel »

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
An infinite earth has to have infinite mass. ergo either infinite gravity - all the stars are now stuck to the floor, or infinite acceleration with infinite power to move the earth upwards to give us an equivalence.
False. An infinite flat disc would have a constant and finite acceleration due to gravity on its surface outwards to infinity. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law_for_gravity

Since g decreases with distance above the earth's surface, we know the Davis model to be observably false.

An infinite earth has to have infinite mass. ergo either infinite gravity - all the stars are now stuck to the floor, or infinite acceleration with infinite power to move the earth upwards to give us an equivalence.

So just how much energy must have already been spent to "give us equivalence" on 100 kg of the FE for the last 4 billion years? More or less than a centillion joules?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:06:32 PM by Gulliver »
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.