The FE Map
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »
The map used to show the location of the continents on a flat Earth squashes the continents slightly (Africa and Australia are the most noticeable) and makes it seem like the map represents a dome shape and not a flat shape. I was wondering why this is?

Re: The FE Map
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:02:44 AM »
Depends on the map you're talking about, since there's more than one map that the flat earth community uses.
However, a popular one is the 'Ice wall map', with the antarctic represented as a sort of Ice Wall around the edge of the disc, with the north pole at the center. That map has some...interesting proportions that don't really comport too well with established measurements.
Of course, that MIGHT be because it's a projection of a globe map called the Azimuthal Equidistant projection, (also called the Gleeson Projection, I think), but eh, what do we know?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:36:15 AM »
Of course, that MIGHT be because it's a projection of a globe map called the Azimuthal Equidistant projection, (also called the Gleeson Projection, I think), but eh, what do we know?
Apparently not that much, given that the monopolar map predates the "AE projection" (albeit Gleason's New Standard Map does not).
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Apparently not that much, given that the monopolar map predates the "AE projection" (albeit Gleason's New Standard Map does not).
I was talking about this map, Pete.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection
Which IS an AE map, and one which this site features in it's wiki under 'monopole model'. Actually, it's the very first map on that page in your wiki. OP wanted to know why the continents seemed out of proportion on a particular FE map, and this projection is often used.  On the RE model, it's because this is a projection map, a globe 'flattened out' like a sheet of paper, so you're going to have some distortion.
And yeah, AE maps are pretty old, apparently as far back as the 11th century.
http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00maplinks/medieval/albiruni/albiruni.html

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:41:48 AM »
I was talking about this map, Pete.
I'm aware. I didn't need you to explain yourself, but rather to educate yourself.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume