Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: FES Book Club
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
Ian Rankin - Let it Bleed
Sounds like good advice for dealing with women.
The title was actually name dropped in the third chapter in reference to bleeding a radiator. I don't know if it has significance beyond that because I couldn't get past the bland prose.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:20 AM »
Currently attempting to read Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.

It is a compilation of passages composed over the course of a 15-year, heroin-feuled excursion of isolation. The author was a mad junkie. There isn't too much continuity between chapters at all; it is noted that the reader can start pretty much anywhere.

A lot of it is hard to stomach - not the content, but the sheer volume of content. I can handle a couple paragraphs about sodomy, but page after page after page detailing insect rape can at times be overwhelming. The language is unsettling as well, even when the story being told isn't necessarily awful.

I can only handle about an hour at a time, at least the chapter I am reading. Has anybody else tried reading this?
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »

It is a compilation of passages composed over the course of a 15-year, heroin-feuled excursion of isolation. The author was a mad junkie. There isn't too much continuity between chapters at all; it is noted that the reader can start pretty much anywhere.

A lot of it is hard to stomach - not the content, but the sheer volume of content. I can handle a couple paragraphs about sodomy, but page after page after page detailing insect rape can at times be overwhelming. The language is unsettling as well, even when the story being told isn't necessarily awful.

I can only handle about an hour at a time, at least the chapter I am reading. Has anybody else tried reading this?

I've read it once. I liked it a lot, though it is very dense and disjointed and I can see why someone would have trouble with it.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »

I've read it once. I liked it a lot, though it is very dense and disjointed and I can see why someone would have trouble with it.

I liked it a lot too. I have been wanting to read it again since it has been quite some time.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 11:01:01 AM »
Miguel de Cervantes - Don Quixote, Part 1 (trans. Rutherford)

Ghost of V

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »

Just started reading this book today. I've heard good things.

Ghost of V

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
While reding Alien Bodies I came across this line:

"But sometimes my arms bend back."

Sounds like a Twin Peaks reference to me.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »

I read a little of a friend's copy, I had literally no idea what was going on

"And we were walking along a sky made of penises and we were penises and the largest penis started talking to us in squirrels." Basically seemed to be the general gist.

I had no intention of carrying on.

Ghost of V

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
"And we were walking along a sky made of penises and we were penises and the largest penis started talking to us in squirrels." Basically seemed to be the general gist.

Sounds like pretentious drivel.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 02:13:55 AM »
I'm reading Catch-22 right now.  I had heard it was funny.  I didn't expect it to be this funny.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »
I'm reading Catch-22 right now.  I had heard it was funny.  I didn't expect it to be this funny.

That's my favorite tome ever penned. It gets funnier. The end is a real riot.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2014, 04:11:42 AM »
Catch-22 is a great book.  I gave a presentation on it to my English class in college.

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I just finished The Strain trilogy by Guillermo del Toro. He adds an interesting twist to vampires and it's refreshing to see them be portrayed as the vicious beasts we are supposed to be afraid of instead of the misunderstood being we need to make love to.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 03:24:42 AM »
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

I don't know how long it'll take me to read this, I've just finished the first chapter and I was pausing to laugh so often it might have taken me twice as long as ten pages normally would.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:30 AM »
it's refreshing to see them be portrayed as the vicious beasts we are supposed to be afraid
According to which folklores? If you mean the original eastern European vampires then they're supposed to be bloated and mischievous. In the 1800s, western European versions are more commonly supposed to be both terrifying and seductive. I actually dislike when they're just one or the other. They have a big weakness in sunlight. Blending in, seducing, and killing their food-source makes more sense to me and is kind of terrifying in itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Seneca: Letters From a Stoic and The Emperor's Handbook: Marcus Aurelius

I need stoicism in my life since I have a new boss and am not enjoying it.

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »
Thomas Pynchon - Inherent Vice

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

Are you gonna finish it in time to watch the movie when it comes out? Paul Thomas Anderson is directing it. It's like a dream come true.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »

Are you gonna finish it in time to watch the movie when it comes out? Paul Thomas Anderson is directing it. It's like a dream come true.

Of course! And yes he is my favorites <3
I had originally tried to wait and watch the film first before I read it, but I can't wait any longer.