Elusive Rabbit

Re: Dissent in N. Korea becoming more frequent
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
Very interesting.

I really wonder how much longer the hermit kingdom can keep trudging along, at this rate.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »
I look forward to the day when I can walk around the palaces of the Kims and speak to the people who have lived under their regime as I've done in Russia, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »
I look forward to the day when I can walk around the palaces of the Kims and speak to the people who have lived under their regime as I've done in Russia, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia.

Now those are trips I'd like to hear about sometime.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »
It was humbling, though the worst by far was Cambodia. We visited killing fields just outside of Phnom Penh where victims tortured for months in the S-21 security facility (a converted high-school) were finally executed in shallow graves. As you walk around, it's important to watch where you step as teeth, fragments of bone, and blindfolds/ bindings are brought to the surface during the intense rainy seasons. Weirdly, it's also one of the most beautiful places on Earth I've ever visited, filled with flowering trees and thousands of butterflies.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:03:22 AM »
That's such a strange and fascinating series of juxtapositions. The Khmer Rouge regime is one of modern history's darkest moments without a single doubt.