Poll

Does the air route for going to USA From india or USA from australia.Does it make flat earth model wrong.

Yes
7 (58.3%)
No
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 27, 2018, 09:25:33 AM

Flat or curve
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
In my opinion flight from australia to USA will go via new zealand while flight from india to usa will go through europe both the flights travel in different directions but reach same point how is it possible does it not violate flat earth theory.If any of know the real reason kindly email me or message me so that i can understand this.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Flat or curve
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
In my opinion flight from australia to USA will go via new zealand while flight from india to usa will go through europe both the flights travel in different directions but reach same point how is it possible does it not violate flat earth theory.If any of know the real reason kindly email me or message me so that i can understand this.

I agree that this is a problem for FE maps.  However, it is argued (not by me but by the pro-FE crowd) that airline pilots follow a course given to them by a compass or some kind of instrument that functions in a manner the reproduces the desired "great circle" route on the Round Earth - even though there is a fantastic short-cut available if only they knew that the Earth is Flat.

Therefore, instead of flying the direct "straight line" FE route, it is claimed that they fly further and thereby overfly the same places that they'd overfly if the Earth was round.

Personally, this sounds crazy - but then this is "The Flat Earth Society" and 'crazy' goes with the territory.

However, that non-straight-line route is typically a VASTLY longer distance than an airplane can fly without running out of fuel or taking 30 hours to fly a 13 hour flight.

You're right that it doesn't work out...but there is a nuance to this that makes things even crazier than you might otherwise imagine.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Flatts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
If the earth was flat i feel like the people who supply these "fake maps" or compasses would have leaked some proof. So far there is absolutely no hard evidence of the earth being flat, just dumb assumptions. Anyways why would anyone want to keep the earth being flat a secret? what do they gain from it? whats the point? its like telling your friend that your new car is blue, when it really is black, why would you lie about something like that?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »
If the earth was flat i feel like the people who supply these "fake maps" or compasses would have leaked some proof. So far there is absolutely no hard evidence of the earth being flat, just dumb assumptions. Anyways why would anyone want to keep the earth being flat a secret? what do they gain from it? whats the point? its like telling your friend that your new car is blue, when it really is black, why would you lie about something like that?

I understand - but that's the claim that all FE'ers make...it's perhaps the ONLY thing they all agree on!

IMHO, the conspiracy would have to be much wider.  People were navigating by the stars and compass at least 600 years ago - possibly 1000 to 2000 years ago.   All of those people would have had to be well aware if the earth is flat - yet not one single written statement about that has ever passed though into modern writings.   Some of them would have been Naval personnel - who might MAYBE be forced to keep silent - but who would prevent merchant vessel crews and people like pirates from blabbing about it?

I'd also argue that modern airlines and the people who make their planes must be in on the secret - also cellphone and GPS manufacturers - all astronomers - many MANY other people besides.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
The Flat Earth Society's official position (if the Wiki can be called their "official position") is that there is no Round Earth Conspiracy.   Under this theory, any actions that conform to round earth principles despite the existence of a 'better' flat earth action are due to people not knowing the better FE action exists, instead of being an intentionally deceptive choice.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
The Flat Earth Society's official position (if the Wiki can be called their "official position") is that there is no Round Earth Conspiracy.   Under this theory, any actions that conform to round earth principles despite the existence of a 'better' flat earth action are due to people not knowing the better FE action exists, instead of being an intentionally deceptive choice.
That doesn't really work though, does it?   All of those photos of a round earth couldn't have been a "mistake" - they were either faked or they are real.   If they are real then the Earth is Round...ergo, the only possibly FE position is that they were faked.

If NASA photos are faked in numbers ranging into the thousands - perhaps 10's of thousands.  Someone had to pay all of those graphics artists to photoshop all of those pictures.   Whoever did that would have to be conspiring to hide the fact of the flat earth - so it's a conspiracy.

Worse still - all of those launches of spacecraft that didn't really get there.   All of the THOUSANDS of hours of footage taken from Mars Rovers - all of those moon rocks that you can go see at the Houston Space Center (when the floodwaters recede) - ALL of that has to be fake if the world is flat.

So the claim that there is no NASA conspiracy doesn't work for the FE'ers.   I have no idea why the Wiki says that...a solid 50% of the stuff in the Wiki doesn't "fit" with what 90% of the FE'ers are saying here.   It's not an accurate reflection of their current thinking.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
I have been watching the NOAA site for quite a few years, if you go there now (5th September) http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2 , Hurricane Irma has just become a category 5 as it heads for the Leeward Islands, I have watched this grow from a disturbance just off the Cabo Verde Islands, indeed there is another storm growing and following in its wake and is shown on the satellite imagery taken from the GOES-16 (I think) at just over 22,000 miles up, that update 4 times per day, all those unfortunate people in the way of Irma and all the other Hurricanes that spawn off north Africa will be watching these images with more than just the interest I have, are they wrong to trust these images from space?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:33:14 PM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

I have been watching the NOAA site for quite a few years, if you go there now (5th September) http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2 , Hurricane Irma has just become a category 5 as it heads for the Leeward Islands, I have watched this grow from a disturbance just off the Cabo Verde Islands, indeed there is another storm growing and following in its wake and is shown on the satellite imagery taken from the GOES-13 (I think) at just over 22,000 miles up, that update 4 times per day, all those unfortunate people in the way of Irma and all the other Hurricanes that spawn off north Africa will be watching these images with more than just the interest I have, are they wrong to trust these images from space?

Hurricanes only happen because of the Coriolis effect (that's what makes them spin) - and in a flat earth, there can be no coriolis force because that's an artifact of a spinning sphere that cannot possibly exist on a stationary plane.

Hence FE'ers should doubt that hurricanes actually happen, so they need not worry about them.

Sadly, the people of Houston who are victims of Hurricane Harvey may have more to say about that.   Since I live just 180 miles away and saw just a fraction of the water that they saw - I'd say that Hurricanes are decidedly "real" and therefore so is the "Coriolis Force" - and hence the Earth is round.

But hey, I'm sure the FE experts have a good answer for that!

(QUESTIONS:  Why do hurricanes rotate in the opposite directions in the North and South hemispheres?   Why do hurricanes dissipate instead of crossing the equator?  Why do hurricanes rotate at all?)

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »

While I’m in the mood to inspire 3D’s prodigious debunking threads, I get “Space Weather News” (spaceweather.com), a large part of the news is sunspot, coronal holes, solar flares, CME’s and geomagnetic storms, the last three largely being the result of the first two.

Solar flares come from areas of intense activity, usually sunspots, and are energetic outbursts of electro-magnetic radiation travelling at the speed of light (X-rays- extreme UV) so (we are told) they reach us, in the 8 minutes it takes to travel from the RE sun. In the FE world, the sun is 3,000 miles away so 2 hundredths of a second or so. Coronal mass ejections (CME’s) however are ionised plasma released into the solar wind (the magnetic field imbedded in a plasma of photons and electrons flowing out from the sun) and responsible for the Auroras as they interact with the earth’s magnetosphere and although they are released from the same events, they travel at different speeds.

According to what I understand, depending on the energy at release, these interactions occur usually around 3.5 days from release (although extremes from 18 hrs to 6 days have been recorded), which is why the flurry of solar flares from sunspot AR2673 on the 4th (Sept’ 2017) are expected to produce auroras on the 6th & 7th. Although any Aurora activity is usually limited to faint glows at my 52.5 deg’s north, this and the flush of photographic evidence that washes through the other sites I visit at these times, indicates that these two phenomena are linked, if this is so, what sort of energy or effect links solar flares and geomagnetic storms in the FE world, and does it have the backing of two Nobel prize winners for physics (as does the above), for its conclusions?     
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »

While I’m in the mood to inspire 3D’s prodigious debunking threads, I get “Space Weather News” (spaceweather.com), a large part of the news is sunspot, coronal holes, solar flares, CME’s and geomagnetic storms, the last three largely being the result of the first two.

Solar flares come from areas of intense activity, usually sunspots, and are energetic outbursts of electro-magnetic radiation travelling at the speed of light (X-rays- extreme UV) so (we are told) they reach us, in the 8 minutes it takes to travel from the RE sun. In the FE world, the sun is 3,000 miles away so 2 hundredths of a second or so. Coronal mass ejections (CME’s) however are ionised plasma released into the solar wind (the magnetic field imbedded in a plasma of photons and electrons flowing out from the sun) and responsible for the Auroras as they interact with the earth’s magnetosphere and although they are released from the same events, they travel at different speeds.

According to what I understand, depending on the energy at release, these interactions occur usually around 3.5 days from release (although extremes from 18 hrs to 6 days have been recorded), which is why the flurry of solar flares from sunspot AR2673 on the 4th (Sept’ 2017) are expected to produce auroras on the 6th & 7th. Although any Aurora activity is usually limited to faint glows at my 52.5 deg’s north, this and the flush of photographic evidence that washes through the other sites I visit at these times, indicates that these two phenomena are linked, if this is so, what sort of energy or effect links solar flares and geomagnetic storms in the FE world, and does it have the backing of two Nobel prize winners for physics (as does the above), for its conclusions?   

Oh wow!  I hadn't thought of that one!  You need to start your own thread on this.   It's a great addition to the growing mountain of things that the FE'ers can't explain.

I guess other methods of measuring distances to things that FE'ers claim are quite close would be interesting:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~mjp/

I know that if two people who are far apart on the Earth take photos of the moon simultaneously, then you can measure a shift in the position of the moon against the background stars - which reveals that the moon is VASTLY closer than those stars - and allows you to use simple trig calculations to figure out the distance to the moon.   

However, this seems a bit lame compared to just looking at the rotation of the moon...how it's upside down in Australia...on it's side at the equator...that kind of thing.