Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5560 on: June 04, 2020, 03:44:37 AM »
It's more plausible than you'd think. He has the courts and the Justice Department in his pocket. He has the support of the overwhelming majority of Republicans in government. He's been systematically replacing those responsible for oversight with loyalists. He has an army of belligerent fans who would be clamoring for it.

All it takes is to repeal an amendment that's not even a century old. Or come up with some other excuse.

With the Republicans in control he gets away with anything he wants to.

If Trump wins in November (a scenario looking less plausible by the day, but a lot of people didn't think it was particularly plausible in 2016 either), I'd hope the Democrats control Congress. Because if not there's no question abolishing term limits is Trump's next play. And if he has the force of the full government behind him there's no reason to think he won't succeed.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: June 04, 2020, 03:46:54 AM »
It's an obvious tactic to bait the media and provoke outraged reporting on something that Trump can (plausibly) later dismiss as an obvious joke. This has three benefits for him - the media are distracted from the weightier, more damaging stories concerning him, his fans are entertained by another story of their guy successfully trolololing the media, and he gains more material to support his narrative of the media always being mean to him. It's not likely he'd even want a third term by the time he'd be done with his second, anyway.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: June 04, 2020, 05:00:12 AM »
It's more plausible than you'd think. He has the courts and the Justice Department in his pocket. He has the support of the overwhelming majority of Republicans in government. He's been systematically replacing those responsible for oversight with loyalists. He has an army of belligerent fans who would be clamoring for it.

All it takes is to repeal an amendment that's not even a century old. Or come up with some other excuse.

With the Republicans in control he gets away with anything he wants to.

If Trump wins in November (a scenario looking less plausible by the day, but a lot of people didn't think it was particularly plausible in 2016 either), I'd hope the Democrats control Congress. Because if not there's no question abolishing term limits is Trump's next play. And if he has the force of the full government behind him there's no reason to think he won't succeed.

2/3 majority is a lot.  And he's hovering party lines.  I can't imagine he'll get an absolute majority in the senate, let alone the house.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: June 04, 2020, 07:31:24 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-supporters-might-demand-that-he-serve-more-than-two-terms-as-president/ar-AACXSMW

Poor Donald. He really doesn't want to break the law, but the people might just DEMAND that he does.

Old article.  But yeah, his supporters would love it despite the absolute disregard for the constitution.
They could make an amendment to the constitution. By definition amendments can be...well, amended.

Apart from the second. You can't change that one because reasons.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: June 04, 2020, 07:35:08 AM »
2/3 majority is a lot.  And he's hovering party lines.  I can't imagine he'll get an absolute majority in the senate, let alone the house.

You're right, I didn't realize it was so tough. He'll have to try to figure out some other loophole to stay in power then. I still think he'll try anything he can and with the amount if influence he wields who knows what he'll be allowed to get away with?

But it's comforting to know that it won't be that easy for him, lol.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:16 AM »

You're right, I didn't realize it was so tough. He'll have to try to figure out some other loophole to stay in power then. I still think he'll try anything he can and with the amount if influence he wields who knows what he'll be allowed to get away with?

But it's comforting to know that it won't be that easy for him, lol.

Sure it will.  Its been suggested already.
Jared runs, gets elected, chooses Trump as VP.  Then resigns.  Done.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

totallackey

« Reply #5566 on: June 04, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
Tear gassing peaceful protesters to clear his path so he could go to a church for a photo op and wave a Bible around.
You couldn't make it up...
Then why did they make it up and why do you keep repeating it?

totallackey

« Reply #5567 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:30 PM »
Trump's history of racism laid out in this Twitter thread

Yeah, here is Trump posing with some notorious racists...the bastard.

I mean, Jesus...look how they're plotting more racist deeds to do...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: June 04, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Trump talks to black people.  There he can't be racist!  Welp, I'm convinced.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: June 04, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »
Then why did they make it up and why do you keep repeating it?

It wasn't made up, and so that folks realise it was WRONG.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: June 04, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »

Dude,  every black person in that picture says Trump is a racist.

He wanted a photo with all the black people in his administration but there was only one.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: June 04, 2020, 11:10:04 PM »

He wanted a photo with all the black people in his administration but there was only one.

Agreed. Look at the body language of the guy with his hands folded in front. That is a clear defensive signal, and he appears to be avoiding eye contact. The two in the back aren't even looking at trump. The whole thing looks pretty tense.

In other news.... well, basically the same nonsense, Trump's non-action and divisiveness is starting to wear out even the republicans.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

Edit:

If you think Trump isn't the kind of character who would fake an interaction for publicity, then you haven't been paying attention to the past 3.5 years. Nor have you paid attention to any of Trump's early days.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:13:46 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

totallackey

« Reply #5572 on: June 05, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »

Dude, every single guy in the picture posing with Trump have been notorious racists.

Al Sharpton - https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/opinion/columnists/2015/01/07/al-sharptons-racial-slurs-get-overlooked/21352389/

Yeah, Trump is a racist...https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/2019/11/16/black-communities-thriving-thanks-to-president-donald-trump/stories/20191108098

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: June 05, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »
Luckily it doesn't matter if some random ignorant internet redneck believes Trump is racist (don't have anyone in particular in mind when I say that, just part of a general observation). What matters is that black people see him racist. And they do. And he's only given that observation more conviction with his outwardly racist attitude and language in recent weeks. At this point if you don't see Trump as racist it can only mean one of three things:

1) You don't know what racism is. I'm sure some of Trump's supporters are so racist themselves that they see marginalizing the blacks as perfectly acceptable, and frankly probably long overdue.

2) You're totally disconnected from society, having lived under the proverbial rock for the last 10 years, going back to when Donald first started harassing Barack Obama for being a dirty African (you know, from one of those shithole countries) rather than a real American.

3) You truly are such a partisan hack that you've blinded yourself to everything wrong with this president. You honestly buy that every racist thing he's ever said or done was justified somehow and not actually racist at all, and shame on everybody else for being so easily fooled by the evil media and (shudder) Deep State.

If you don't fall into one of those categories, overwhelming odds are you recognize Trump for the racist piece of shit he always has been, going back to his very first mention in the media (a NYT article about his racist policies as a landlord).

By the way, something else you never see mentioned but maybe it's high time it was. Every time Trump tries to counter accusations of racism by saying black people should be grateful for what he's done for them, he's directly echoing the sentiment of Southern slaveowners during the Civil War era. Even when he's trying to argue that he's not racist he can't help but do it in a racist way, it's just who he is.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:08:26 PM by Roundy »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: June 05, 2020, 05:51:24 PM »
Oh well, Donald. Back to the drawing board...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52937153
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: June 05, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »

Trump'll probably call it fake news.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 05, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »

Trump'll probably call it fake news.

The shit with that Lancet study might end up being the best thing to happen to Trump in a while.  :(

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 05, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »
Extra fencing around the Whitehouse has been dubbed #babygate
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: June 06, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
So what's the big baby been up to lately?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-trump-coronavirus-swab-factory-visit-maine-20200606-ll7a5oucvjadzp357y2zdqpwjm-story.html

Ah, forcing a factory to throw away boxes of coronavirus swabs by refusing to wear a mask during the visit.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29273182/drew-brees-stands-apology-flag-comments-response-president-trump

And getting into a feud with an NFL player over the kneeling issue.

Just being a big stupid baby as usual it seems.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:12:53 PM by Roundy »

Rama Set

« Reply #5579 on: June 07, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »

Just being a big stupid baby as usual it seems.

And now being mad that Colin Powell is going to vote for someone other than him.