Re: ISIS and the Middle East
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Offering some kind of conditional amnesty might encourage others to desert the IS cause.

Ghost of V

« Reply #481 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
Offering some kind of conditional amnesty might encourage others to desert the IS cause.

I don't think get out of jail free cards would set a good example. This could also be abused.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #482 on: September 05, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
Any westerner who attempts to return to his nation of origin after having joined ISIS should be shot upon his return.

« Reply #483 on: September 05, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
Hardly an incentive to desert or surrender.

Might as well stay in IS and fight to the death in that case.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »
Any westerner who attempts to return to his nation of origin after having joined ISIS should be shot upon his return.

Do you believe anybody deserves a fair trial, ever?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
Trials serve a purpose only when there is actual doubt as to a person's guilt. If there is no doubt, or question as to the guilt or motive, simply ready the bullet, and save everyone some tax dollars.

As for motive to desert, I agree. I might be inclined to grant to someone something less than a bullet if they have not already observed or taken part in criminal acts against the people. Otherwise, ready the bullet and save us all the trouble, please.

Ghost of V

« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
Yaakov is very wise. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
It's almost as if he's a troll just trying to provoke people by saying ridiculous things.

« Reply #488 on: September 05, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
Trials serve a purpose only when there is actual doubt as to a person's guilt. If there is no doubt, or question as to the guilt or motive, simply ready the bullet, and save everyone some tax dollars.

Guilty until proven innocent. Sounds like ISIS speak to me.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »

How do you determine if there is doubt without a trial?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2014, 02:21:18 AM »
I agree, trials are necessary in all but the most blatant of cases. Someone who goes to fight for ISIS is one of those blatant cases, I think. If you leave for Syria or Iraq, and cannot explain everything you did there when you get back, then you have no business being there, and should be shot.

Ultimately, it comes down to the following: We need to pass laws forbidding Americans to even enter nations where terror groups are active without special permission from the Government. Anyone who does not HAVE that permission should be assumed to be cooperating with said terror group, and treated accordingly.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2014, 02:37:03 AM »
It's almost as if he's a troll just trying to provoke people by saying ridiculous things.
The scary thing is that I don't think he is.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2014, 03:21:33 AM »
The scary thing is that I don't think he is.

Don't be fooled. He's just especially good at what he does.

« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2014, 03:24:41 AM »
Deserters should be put in witness protection*.

*publicly they are alive in hiding.  Behind the scenes they are tortured and then killed after they are useless.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2014, 03:37:17 AM »

He may or may not be who he claims to be, and it doesn't matter. You don't need the superhuman observational powers of Saddamlock Holmessein to hypothesize that somebody who espouses extreme zionist views and chose the username "Yaakov ben Avraham" might be a fictional character. Maybe it's Oscar. Who cares? This place is full of fictional characters. Should we start ignoring our leader Tim Bishop? What about the most eminent living Flat Earth scientist of our generation? Characterization should only be ignored if it's genuinely disruptive, and the only example of that I can think of is EJ. Yaakov mostly stays in his own threads, and although his political views are anything but, his communication is mostly civil.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2014, 03:57:32 AM »
Well, thank you, Alexandyr. And what DID happen to EJ? And I admit, my political views are pretty radical. I don't deny that. I am not a troll in the slightest bit, and I do try to be at least vaguely civil.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
He's probably too focused on his scholarly pursuits to visit us.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2014, 04:03:04 AM »
Ah. I see. He was a strange one, that one was. Not that I can say that too loud, as I am sure many think the same about me. But I can at least spell (albeit in British-style) better than a Third Grader.

Ghost of V

« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2014, 04:18:53 AM »
Well, thank you, Alexandyr. And what DID happen to EJ? And I admit, my political views are pretty radical. I don't deny that. I am not a troll in the slightest bit, and I do try to be at least vaguely civil.

This is an admission of guilt to me.

But I happen to agree with Alex. So TROLL ON!!!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2014, 04:43:02 AM »
Thanks VAUX. You can kiss my tukhis too. *GRIN* Did you find the answer to your question in the other thread? Its on Page 14.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:45:27 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »