Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
I has my copy now. Wanna race to beat the game, Saddam?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
From what I've seen, the game is a lot less pretty than its original reveal
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »

Yeah, the lighting in particular took a serious downgrade. Hopefully they'll retain the superior effects in the PC version.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
>have to get through a million updates just to play a game

Oh lord should I maybe use my consoles more often

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
In all seriousness, I guess you haven't heard that it's possible to make enemies respawn again. And I might as well assume that there's a way to get effigies you don't know about either.

There are bonfire ascetics that you can use to reset the respawn counters in an area, as well as making the enemies more difficult, yes.  It's clear that those items are very rare and probably finite, though.  As for the effigies, I'm going by what the developers have said.  A few people on the Internet are saying that they've found them being dropped like any other consumable, but it's possible they're just being dumb and mistaking a reward for beating a special enemy as a regular drop.

Anyway, what class are you playing as?  I'm a knight.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
I'm a swordsman. I'm still going through Forest of the Fallen Giants after like three hours, it's so huge and sprawly. I love it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

Video game devs/publishers have been doing this a lot lately. They "reveal" the game, and it looks spectacular, almost like nothing you've ever seen before, then a month before release they show you some footage from the final version which looks like shit compared to the original reveal.
One perfect example of this is the game Watchdogs, if you look up footage from E3 last year then compare it to recent footage... the difference is undeniable. It's misrepresentation at it's finest and I'm not sure how they're getting away with it. I don't play games for graphics, so I don't really care, but it's still a sneaky business practice.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »
What is this?  I have never...

Ghost of V

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »
Found this thread on Neogaf about the Dark Souls 2 downgrade. Has some screenshot comparisons.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781625

One user cleverly calls it "Light Souls"

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2014, 01:54:25 AM »
"This is how it is going to look on PC"

"...and this is how it actually looks on your shitty ass consoles that use hardware from 2009"

I don't see how this is a problem. Do you really expect a console to have even remotely good graphics compared to PC?

« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2014, 02:07:51 AM »
^ assuming you upgrade your PC every year.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2014, 02:47:23 AM »

"...and this is how it actually looks on your shitty ass consoles that use hardware from 2009"

I don't see how this is a problem. Do you really expect a console to have even remotely good graphics compared to PC?

Oh, no.  Stop it right now.  We're not having this argument again.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2014, 03:39:38 AM »

If you bought a $600 computer since 2010, congratulations, you can play at a higher graphics setting and resolution than any console ever released.

Ghost of V

« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

That's not the issue at all. The issue is Dark Souls 2 was advertised by showing footage of the PC version and not footage from the console version. They never said it was PC footage. They lead people to believe that the console version would look like the version they showed footage of, but it's considerably worse looking now that it's out.

Maybe there was a disclaimer thrown in somewhere, I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:18:11 AM by Ghost of V »

« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2014, 01:01:33 PM »

Haven't upgraded in 1.5 years and still going strong. The card isn't anything amazing either.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Holy shit, would you assholes just shut the fuck up about this already?  We've had this debate a hundred times before.  There is nothing, absolutely nothing that you can say that you haven't already said each of those hundred times.  Stop derailing threads into yet another rehash of them!

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
Play Dark Souls 2

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
So almost immediately after defeating the Last Giant, I've got to face off against this Pursuer guy.  Boo!

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
I got rekt by The Pursuer so I went to Heide's Tower of Flame and made some nice progress there instead. Dragonrider was a fun fight, even if it was a little on the easy side.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
Holy shit, would you assholes just shut the fuck up about this already?  We've had this debate a hundred times before.  There is nothing, absolutely nothing that you can say that you haven't already said each of those hundred times.  Stop derailing threads into yet another rehash of them!

Please only contribute to the discussion at hand. No one cares about your Dark Soul twitter feed.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is Dark Souls 2 was advertised by showing footage of the PC version and not footage from the console version. They never said it was PC footage. They lead people to believe that the console version would look like the version they showed footage of, but it's considerably worse looking now that it's out.

Maybe there was a disclaimer thrown in somewhere, I don't know.

They probably do this because it doesn't affect their sales at all but makes their PR skyrocket. No (intelligent) person buys a console for its graphics, so in the end no one says "Dark Souls looks like shit, I won't buy it."