Rama Set

Conservatives being snowflakes... again.
« on: September 16, 2022, 04:24:26 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with conservative pundits and their total lackey's that they can not even tolerate a black actor playing Ariel in the live action "The Little Mermaid"?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/sep/15/little-mermaid-disney-trailer-culture-war-ariel-black-white

https://www.newsweek.com/matt-walsh-slammed-online-saying-black-little-mermaid-not-scientifically-accurate-1743240

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Conservatives being snowflakes... again.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »
Part of it is the original animation was white.  And as such they think a live adaptation should follow.  Maybe.

To prove if its racism or not, announce a live action Princess and the Frog with a white woman.  See how that goes.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »
Remember that time several media outlets got upset that Ghost in the Shell (2017) had a white woman playing as the protagonist?

This is like that but in reverse. Both are pointless outrages over nothing.

To prove if its racism or not, announce a live action Princess and the Frog with a white woman.  See how that goes.

This would result in an equal number of upset people but the people upset that time around would be quite different. Probably the same ones who had a problem with Ghost in the Shell (2017).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:49:10 PM by Rushy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 05:34:39 PM »
Remember that time several media outlets got upset that Ghost in the Shell (2017) had a white woman playing as the protagonist?

This is like that but in reverse. Both are pointless outrages over nothing.

This would result in an equal number of upset people but the people upset that time around would be quite different. Probably the same ones who had a problem with Ghost in the Shell (2017).
I had an issue with that.
Mainly because, unless I'm wrong, the whole thing takes place in Japan.  Which makes it kinda weird to put a non-japanese woman in.  But I haven't seen the movie nor the anime so my opinion means nothing.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 05:46:30 PM »
Mainly because, unless I'm wrong, the whole thing takes place in Japan.  Which makes it kinda weird to put a non-japanese woman in.  But I haven't seen the movie nor the anime so my opinion means nothing.

Oh no, I forgot that white people don't exist in Japan. Thank you for reminding me, Dave.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 06:01:35 PM »

Oh no, I forgot that white people don't exist in Japan. Thank you for reminding me, Dave.
More like:
As a secret military agent, the best way to ensure secrecy is to make you stand out.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »
More like:
As a secret military agent, the best way to ensure secrecy is to make you stand out.

It takes place a significant time in the future, if this is the argument you want to make, then you'll have to assume that the demographics of Japan don't change at all. Further, she can literally turn invisible, her appearance is completely irrelevant to her missions.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 06:45:21 PM »
More like:

It takes place a significant time in the future, if this is the argument you want to make, then you'll have to assume that the demographics of Japan don't change at all. Further, she can literally turn invisible, her appearance is completely irrelevant to her missions.

Ok.
As I said, never saw either mediums. 

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 08:04:24 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/sep/15/little-mermaid-disney-trailer-culture-war-ariel-black-white

I feel like this author is very unnecessarily trying to both-sides a very one-sided situation and create a moral dilemma where none exists. Diversity is a good thing. A high-profile lead role going to a black actress is a good thing. I have absolutely no problem saying this while also acknowledging that this movie will almost certainly end up being mediocre and forgettable. The racists aren't going to "win" if the movie fails, no more than they "lose" when movies that aren't particularly diverse fail. A lot of movies suck, and if movies continue to grow more diverse, then a lot of diverse movies will suck. That's fine!

mediums

media*
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 08:40:22 PM »

I feel like this author is very unnecessarily trying to both-sides a very one-sided situation and create a moral dilemma where none exists. Diversity is a good thing. A high-profile lead role going to a black actress is a good thing. I have absolutely no problem saying this while also acknowledging that this movie will almost certainly end up being mediocre and forgettable. The racists aren't going to "win" if the movie fails, no more than they "lose" when movies that aren't particularly diverse fail. A lot of movies suck, and if movies continue to grow more diverse, then a lot of diverse movies will suck. That's fine!

Yup. I totally agree. I even think it’s ok to acknowledge corporate pandering to diversity while still acknowledging that it’s good to have a black lead in the role.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 10:28:54 PM »
Diversity is a good thing.

Maybe for investing and farming. But most diversity you see in the world is merely superficial. People will always segregate themselves by cultural background and social status.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:30:48 PM by Fortuna »

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 11:49:39 PM »

Maybe for investing and farming. But most diversity you see in the world is merely superficial. People will always segregate themselves by cultural background and social status.

Do you only listen to Baroque music? Or have you enjoyed the culture of African Americans from time to time?

BillO

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 12:17:12 AM »

You should visit Toronto sometime.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 05:14:16 AM »
Thank you, Roundy.

Yes, diveristy is good.  I forget where I read it but it was an article about representstion.  Minority groups are often bombarded with media where the just don't identity with it.  Where the lead role or most of the actors don't look like them.  Or clicking on the news and seeing little to no representstion there or in politics.   And its rough.  Children can sometimes look and say "they don't look like me" when looking at characters in their shows/movies. 

To them, having a black mermaid, even if the movie bombs, is uplifting.  And once you do it once, its not a big deal to do it again.

Like Obama being the first black president.  Its now a "well, now ee know we can do it" or a "we did it already so it doesn't seem weird anymore". 

So in these cases its about
1) giving minorities representstion so they can feel like they belong.
2) giving inclusions so such things become normalized.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 06:02:07 PM »

Okay? I don't think that has anything to do with casting a black actress as the lead in a high-profile movie.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 06:42:05 PM »
Rama Set and honk must think this little girl is a racist.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 06:58:05 PM »
Disney needs to fucking stop the live action remakes. They all suck. Also, who gives a fuck what the cartoon Ariel looked like? It still exists. Just watch that one instead because it'll be better anyway. The constant whining about remakes not looking 100% like the original is so dumb.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:27 PM »
I met all the Disney princesses at Disneyworld and Ariel was the only one with a personality.

The actress was a small white girl though, guess she's gonna get canned.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 08:41:56 PM »
Disney needs to fucking stop the live action remakes. They all suck. Also, who gives a fuck what the cartoon Ariel looked like? It still exists. Just watch that one instead because it'll be better anyway. The constant whining about remakes not looking 100% like the original is so dumb.

I suspect it was Disney's attempt to troll conservatives for free advertising.