Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Nephew's Computer
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 05:16:59 AM »
So you lose storage space(size of the HDD, not HDD + SSD) to gain a fast autocache?  Meh, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Are you telling me you would fill up a 3 TB HDD and need that extra half a TB?
Not would, have.
I've used up over 3TB of data on my computer.  Trimmed a bunch to make space but ... Yeah.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:36:03 AM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »
Yeah, AMD has tiered storage nailed down. Another reason to pick Ryzen at the moment.

Only when buying from a lazy OS vendor that sits back and lets hardware vendors do their work for them. It doesn't matter who you buy your CPU from when your OS is implemented by your OS vendor.

I've used up over 3TB of data on my computer.  Trimmed a bunch to make space but ... Yeah.

So have I. My point is that when using this amount of data, an extra 500 GB SSD is unlikely to make much difference long-term because you likely also have high growth. In other words, you need a bigger HDD anyway.

If you have a use case for storing an amount of data between 3 TB and 3.5 TB that can't be reduced to under 3 TB and will never grow above 3.5 TB, I'd love to hear it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
I admit I didn't know about this. Good to see AMD doing Microsoft's job of developing basic OS functionality for them.
Plenty of third parties have solutions for this. Your preference for the "OS vendor" (oftentimes a loosely organised group of enthusiasts) being responsible for all the things is just that - a preference with no functional difference. A loosely organised collective of megacorps is doing the exact same thing, except they don't slap a singular badge on it.

My point is that when using this amount of data, an extra 500 GB SSD is unlikely to make much difference long-term because you likely also have high growth. In other words, you need a bigger HDD anyway.
This is debatable. My experience with home users is that they're dealing with a slow creep of data. It can be easily reduced, but it's a faff. Delaying the inevitable purge is beneficial.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:14:17 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
So I just ordered everything.

Got some RGB puke fans in a case. Its not my taste, but I'm not 12.

And just bought the monitor. That's the thing I'm giving him. My wallet is crying in the corner of my room.

Its all very gamery. Also has RGB keyboard and mouse. Personally, I think its disgusting.

Should I need a kidney in the future, his plump young organs should now be easier to pry away from him, for his poor old uncle Thork. He owes me one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:36:38 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »
Ddaaaammmmnnnnn.....
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »
I bet the monitor specs will be lost on a 12 year old tbh but it's a nice monitor. I'd have gone for something half the price and got two for dual monitors. but I guess that's less for gaming at that point (apart from supreme commander and stuff). You're doing a good thing anyway, hate to sound like an old person but kids these days just dont have computers, my niece just sits on the coach like a blob of jelly staring at her ipad watching youtube videos and shes only 8, but her mum only encourages it but not trying to get her into technology in a better, healthier way. It makes me sad.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
I bet the monitor specs will be lost on a 12 year old tbh but it's a nice monitor.
Totally ... but I'm guessing he's still going to have that monitor when he's 16. Then he can thank me all over again.

I'd have gone for something half the price and got two for dual monitors.
He likes FPS shooters. Dual displays is dreadful ... your cross-hair is right on the bezel where the two monitors meet. Its unplayable. Its triple screens or go home for gaming.

but I guess that's less for gaming at that point (apart from supreme commander and stuff). You're doing a good thing anyway, hate to sound like an old person but kids these days just dont have computers, my niece just sits on the coach like a blob of jelly staring at her ipad watching youtube videos and shes only 8, but her mum only encourages it but not trying to get her into technology in a better, healthier way. It makes me sad.
When his dad was moaning to me that he keeps wanting a gaming PC ... a little bit of pride welled up inside of me. I was like ... this is happening. I'll get the monitor, tap up his granny (my mother) for a processor, here's the specs list, no we aren't scrimping on anything, no pre-builts; he's gonna build it himself on xmas day ... lol.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »
Plenty of third parties have solutions for this. Your preference for the "OS vendor" (oftentimes a loosely organised group of enthusiasts) being responsible for all the things is just that - a preference with no functional difference. A loosely organised collective of megacorps is doing the exact same thing, except they don't slap a singular badge on it.

There is a very clear functional difference, and that is whether the implementation works with all supported hardware or a subset of it. AMD's implementation of this requires that you use AMD hardware. Linux's implementation works on any hardware, even non-x86.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »

There is a very clear functional difference, and that is whether the implementation works with all supported hardware or a subset of it. AMD's implementation of this requires that you use AMD hardware. Linux's implementation works on any hardware, even non-x86.
AMD's version can work on any hardware ... but you need to buy a license to do that. But they'll give you a free license if you use their platform. Seems fair.

And if it wasn't obvious I did the buying today because it was black Friday. I shaved about £60 off what it all cost yesterday. £5 here, £3 there. It adds up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:41:55 PM by Baby Thork »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
The software that automatically installs with Windows, and which comes pre-installed at OEM stage works with your machine. If you choose to do something else, you do so at your own behest, and it is assumed that you know what you're doing. There is no functional difference.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 02:01:46 AM »
The software that automatically installs with Windows, and which comes pre-installed at OEM stage works with your machine. If you choose to do something else, you do so at your own behest, and it is assumed that you know what you're doing. There is no functional difference.

Adding [b] doesn't make you any more correct.

Installing software on your computer comes after you've chosen your hardware, which is the step at which you decide what storage you want and how you're going to manage it. You're correct in that if you choose your hardware carefully with Windows, you get the behaviour you want. That is also my point.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
Adding [b] doesn't make you any more correct.
I will assume that you know what emphasis is, and that you're just trying to waste my time in the absence of arguments that aren't dumb. You'd think the big brain computer boy could either argue on merit or accept that he simply forgot to look shit up in advance of starting an argument, without having to resort to distractions.

You're correct in that if you choose your hardware carefully with Windows, you get the behaviour you want. That is also my point.
And I'm explaining to you, repeatedly, that your point does not apply to reality. You will not find modern hardware that can run Windows, meets the requirements for SSD caching in general (inb4 wHaT iF yOu dOn'T hAvE aN sSd!!!), and which won't support SSD caching in Windows out of the box.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:35:10 AM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
And I'm explaining to you, repeatedly, that your point does not apply to reality. You will not find modern hardware that can run Windows, meets the requirements for SSD caching in general (inb4 wHaT iF yOu dOn'T hAvE aN sSd!!!), and which won't support SSD caching in Windows out of the box.

This definitely was not the case when I looked into it not very long ago, otherwise I would be using it on the gaming laptop I bought in 2017, which has both an SSD and an HDD. I'm willing to accept that things have changed since then (I don't use Windows very much so I don't follow its development closely), but then it seems like AMD providing this functionality for their hardware is pointless.

(Strictly speaking, Intel Rapid Storage Technology was available in 2017, but was (and perhaps still is) limited to using 64 GB of the SSD as a cache. I don't consider that at all useful for a gaming PC given that there are now individual games larger than 64 GB on the market.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:03:17 AM by Parsifal »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »

This definitely was not the case when I looked into it not very long ago, otherwise I would be using it on the gaming laptop I bought in 2017, which has both an SSD and an HDD. I'm willing to accept that things have changed since then (I don't use Windows very much so I don't follow its development closely), but then it seems like AMD providing this functionality for their hardware is pointless.

https://www.wepc.com/tips/ssd-cache/

Not every intel but several.  Maybe even yours, parsifal.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 11:05:08 AM »
https://www.wepc.com/tips/ssd-cache/

Not every intel but several.  Maybe even yours, parsifal.

I just pre-emptively responded to this with an edit in my last post:

(Strictly speaking, Intel Rapid Storage Technology was available in 2017, but was (and perhaps still is) limited to using 64 GB of the SSD as a cache. I don't consider that at all useful for a gaming PC given that there are now individual games larger than 64 GB on the market.)

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »
Are you Th*rking kidding me?  >o<

I just bought all the parts for a kick ass computer on 'Black Friday' and felt pleased with the £60 or so that I saved. And now I learn about Cyber Monday!  >o< >o< >o<

Rama Set

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
Are you Th*rking kidding me?  >o<

I just bought all the parts for a kick ass computer on 'Black Friday' and felt pleased with the £60 or so that I saved. And now I learn about Cyber Monday!  >o< >o< >o<

Ok, Boomer.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:40 AM »

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 12:33:26 AM »
Balls. I need a wifi adapter for him. And a USB flash drive 8GB or more to make a windows bootdrive. >:(

These little expenses start to add up.