Thork

Is your government spying on you.
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/amnestys-detekt-tool-knows-your-4657462

I just got a new laptop, so its unlikely I have anything untoward on there. But I wonder if any of you might scan and find evidence of your government creeping on you. Post if you have anything juicy. :-)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Is your government spying on you.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
This is Windows-only software. Windows is a terrible choice of OS to begin with if you don't want to be spied on; since its source code can't be audited, there is no way to be certain that the OS is even correctly reporting details of such files.

If this tool detects something, good for you. If it doesn't, you're no better off than you were before you ran it. If you can't trust the OS, all bets are off.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »
This is Windows-only software.
The most popular OS in the world.

If you can't trust the OS, all bets are off.
Would I trust an OS written by the best developers money can buy, or one written by a few guys in their bedrooms?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
This is Windows-only software.
The most popular OS in the world.

Either irrelevant or argumentum ad populum, depending on whether you intended an implicit conclusion based on this statement.

Would I trust an OS written by the best developers money can buy, or one written by a few guys in their bedrooms?

Irrelevant, given that no other OS has been compared to Windows in this thread.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
Th*rk would rather trust an OS written by a money-hungry and corrupt corporation which source-code he can't view than an OS written by a few well-meaning fellows in their bedrooms which source code he can view.
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
If Microsoft's developers are so good, then why do their OSes need weekly critical updates?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Should have known this would become a Windows vs. Linux thread.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
Lol, vs Linux. Like its a viable alternative or something.  ;D

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »

Did someone mention Linux?

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

Oh so they're talking about OS X then. Gotcha.

Because that's totally made by some well-meaning fellows in a bedroom...

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »

Oh so they're talking about OS X then.

You would have to ask Thork what other OS he is referring to. I have merely pointed out some disadvantages of Windows. However, I can assure you that there exist more than three operating systems.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »
However, I can assure you that there exist more than three operating systems.

I can't name many that are viable alternatives to Windows other than Linux-based systems and OS X.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »

I can't name many that are viable alternatives to Windows other than Linux-based systems and OS X.
Linux is not a viable alternative to Windows. If it was, companies all over the world would be using it because it is free.

Inb4server red-herring. This is about desktop and anti-spying before the butthurt Linux-fanboys hijacked it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »

Linux is not a viable alternative to Windows. If it was, companies all over the world would be using it because it is free.
They are, just not for desktops.  Know why?  Because windows is what most people know and training both users and IT staff to use Linux is harder than just going with Windows.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »

Linux is a viable alternative. It's more secure, free, and can do mostly everything Windows is capable of. Windows is just extremely popular and has big dev support making updates/fixes a lot more convenient. Windows is usually easier for a company to manage compared to Linux, but that doesn't mean Linux isn't a viable alternative to Windows. Most of the US government uses Linux based systems, so it's obviously viable if you're willing to put in the effort.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:38:47 PM by Vauxhall »

Thork

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
They are, just not for desktops.  Know why?  Because windows is what most people know and training both users and IT staff to use Linux is harder than just going with Windows.
Incorrect. Companies use OSX (my company being a prime example) and they don't care that new staff need training. But Linux doesn't enter into it.

Linux is a viable alternative. It's more secure, free, and can do mostly everything Windows is capable of. Windows is just extremely popular and has big dev support making updates/fixes a lot more convenient. Windows is usually easier for a company to manage compared to Linux, but that doesn't mean Linux isn't a viable alternative to Windows. Most of the US government uses Linux based systems, so it's obviously viable if you're willing to put in the effort.
Its not viable. If it was, people would use it. Its as simple as that.

Linux ... they can't even give it away.

Ghost of V

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
Once again Thork assumes that his employer is the paragon of business & technological excellence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Incorrect. Companies use OSX (my company being a prime example) and they don't care that new staff need training. But Linux doesn't enter into it.
Name six that use OSX as their only OS. (not including Apple)
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
No massive company will have 100% Apple the same as no company will have 100% PC.

But below are 6 prolific Mac using corps.

Cisco -now have over 35,000 macs.
CBS
Pixar
Google
Viacom
IBM

As for companies that aren't huge, millions of companies use macs - anyone developing apps and phone software, games companies, graphic design companies ...

Give me 6 multi-national firms that issue Linux to employees as the predominant desktop platform.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:27:37 PM by Thork »

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »
No massive company will have 100% Apple the same as no company will have 100% PC.

But below are 6 prolific Mac using corps.

Cisco -now have over 35,000 macs.
CBS
Pixar
Google
Viacom
IBM

As for companies that are huge, millions of companies use macs - anyone developing apps and phone software, games companies, graphic design companies ...

Give me 6 multi-national firms that issue Linux to employees as the predominant desktop platform.

Google and IBM both use Linux. Fuck, Google's own operating systems are Linux based. Try again.