Hello! I wanted to ask what made you believe that the earth is flat. I'm asking because I'm doing a research paper for college that looks at both sides of the argument and I'm also legitimately curious.  :)

Offline Pinky

• View Profile
Re: Question for research paper: What convinced you that the earth is flat?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
That's a very good question. If you don't get any answers in this forum, try Youtube. There are dozens of videos where people "prove" with "experiments" that Earth is flat.

Earthman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
Hello! I wanted to ask what made you believe that the earth is flat. I'm asking because I'm doing a research paper for college that looks at both sides of the argument and I'm also legitimately curious.  :)

The lack of curvature over land and the natural physics of water (seeks it's own level) proved to me Earth is not a Ball.

If you would like to gain a lot of attention over your research, make the point "Globe believers cannot use their own established curvature chart for an Earth with a 3959 Mile radius to prove Earth's landmass has curvature."

The curvature chart is a Blueprint of the their Globe Earth, but if Earth were a sphere, they could easily prove Earth has curvature by applying it to landmass, but they can't. This is a Checkmate.

Another fact that reinforced my belief Earth is not a Ball, is the fact "Gravity" has never been proven.

"This textbook contains material on Gravity. Universal Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the natural law of attraction. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

https://ncse.com/library-resource/gravity-its-only-theory
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:30:52 PM by Earthman »

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
There are a lot of mis-information on here.  The quote "water seeks it's own level" should be corrected to "Water seeks the center of gravity" just like every other thing with mass in the known universe.  Seamen know that the earth is a globe.  All their navigational education, charts, and procedures are based upon the earth being a globe.  It's been that way for over 100 years.  When I go to sea and depend on the global navigation techniques to get me across the oceans, my getting to the next port without getting lost is actual, practical proof that the globe earth system works.  Now that I'm home and didn't get killed by King Neptune, I believe that I'm living proof that the earth is a globe.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »

The lack of curvature over land and the natural physics of water (seeks it's own level) proved to me Earth is not a Ball.

If you would like to gain a lot of attention over your research, make the point "Globe believers cannot use their own established curvature chart for an Earth with a 3959 Mile radius to prove Earth's landmass has curvature."

The curvature chart is a Blueprint of the their Globe Earth, but if Earth were a sphere, they could easily prove Earth has curvature by applying it to landmass, but they can't. This is a Checkmate.

Another fact that reinforced my belief Earth is not a Ball, is the fact "Gravity" has never been proven.

"This textbook contains material on Gravity. Universal Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the natural law of attraction. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

https://ncse.com/library-resource/gravity-its-only-theory
Please explain measured distances and satellite tv dish alignment.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »
The default position is that it's flat. Look out your window, look out over a lake. See? Flat.

Now convince me that it's actually globular!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:43:16 AM »
OK, take a bucket of water down to the lake you see.  Throw that bucket of water into the lake.  You know for sure that the level of the lake just got a little higher, Right?  Can you measure the difference?  Trying to directly see that the earth is actually round is about as difficult but it is possible.  Just exactly how much work are you willing to do to convince yourself that the earth is a globe?  If you only want to spend 5 minutes, then forget it.  If 'inquiring minds' really want to know then you will have to knuckle down and put some time in looking at some books on the subject.  There is no way anyone can teach you what you really don't want to know.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Earthman

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 01:06:19 AM »

Please explain measured distances and satellite tv dish alignment.

I am not going to hijack the topic. Sorry,

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »

There is some very old writings that explain all things were created by the Father (creator/God) and he says its flat as a pancake. He will kick your ass if need be but he loves you. I ain't arguing, he said the book would NEVER change and it hasn't in 2,000 years......
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

LoveScience

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »
The default position is that it's flat. Look out your window, look out over a lake. See? Flat.

My default position is that it's round. Look out of your window at the Earths shadow as it creeps across the Moons disk during a total lunar eclipse.  See? Curved!. 

Now convince me that it's actually flat!

You won't accept my statement as proof anymore than I will accept yours.

No lake in the world has a large enough surface area so show actually curvature of its surface. You are simply seeing too small a fraction of the circumference as a whole. If you keep zooming into a part of the circumference of a circle the amount of curvature you see of an increasingly small part of it will become increasingly less until it looks like a straight line.  That of course is the principle behind differential calculus as dy/dx tends to zero.

Seeing is not always believing in science. The Sun is 400 times bigger than the Moon but also 400 times further away so they appear (apparent disk size) the same size to us because we don't have any direct perception of distance in the sky. I know flat earthers won't accept this as it doesn't conform to their beliefs. But can FET show beyond reasonable doubt otherwise?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:55:39 PM by LoveScience »

LoveScience

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »

I am not sure how you 'prove' anything in essence.  I won't go into a historical account of Newtons and Einsteins work on gravity because that shouldn't be necessary and it is already very well known. As we moved into the 20th century certain weaknesses or limits of Newtonian gravity started to appear but these were more than adequately corrected by Einstein in his GTR.

If flat earthers don't accept that gravity is a force, then how do they account for the satellites of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn (including the ring system), Uranus and Neptune?  All of these are held in orbit around each planet by the mutual gravitational force between them. We also see gravity acting in multiple star systems. We have calculated the orbital sizes and periods of several shorter term binary star systems by using gravity calculations.  Observational data has been gathered using the worlds largest telescopes and this has precisely matched the predicted positions provided through gravitational calculations. Using gravity we can also calculate the mass of other stars when they have a binary companion through the orbital periods. 

Are you saying all this is down to something else other than gravity then?

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »

There is some very old writings that explain all things were created by the Father (creator/God) and he says its flat as a pancake. He will kick your ass if need be but he loves you. I ain't arguing, he said the book would NEVER change and it hasn't in 2,000 years......

That's not true... https://www.ranker.com/list/has-the-bible-changed/jacob-shelton
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Bishthebosh

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »

My default position is that it's round. Look out of your window at the Earths shadow as it creeps across the Moons disk during a total lunar eclipse.  See? Curved!. 

Now convince me that it's actually flat!

You won't accept my statement as proof anymore than I will accept yours.

No lake in the world has a large enough surface area so show actually curvature of its surface. You are simply seeing too small a fraction of the circumference as a whole. If you keep zooming into a part of the circumference of a circle the amount of curvature you see of an increasingly small part of it will become increasingly less until it looks like a straight line.  That of course is the principle behind differential calculus as dy/dx tends to zero.

Seeing is not always believing in science. The Sun is 400 times bigger than the Moon but also 400 times further away so they appear (apparent disk size) the same size to us because we don't have any direct perception of distance in the sky. I know flat earthers won't accept this as it doesn't conform to their beliefs. But can FET show beyond reasonable doubt otherwise?

There are quite a number of videos on YouTube showing Earth’s curvature on large lakes. Here is a nice clear well made one from the Discovery Channel.

Warm regards.

Jimmy McGill

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »

The default position when I look at my dog is that she isn't made of cells.
This isn't a good argument. Were you 5 micrometers tall and stood looking at the horizon on a beach ball, you might conclude it's flat too.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »

The default position when I look at my dog is that she isn't made of cells.
This isn't a good argument. Were you 5 micrometers tall and stood looking at the horizon on a beach ball, you might conclude it's flat too.
Hmm so it's within the realm of possibility that it's globular like a beach ball. But you haven't even come close to showing why I should actually believe that's the case.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »
A friendly reminder that the title of this thread is "What convinced you that the earth is flat?" and not "RE'ers explain why they think they're very right"

For people who claim to adore science, you sure are putting a lot of effort into disturbing this guy's research.

RonJ, we promised you a ban last time you got warned on this account, and I'm keeping that promise.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:56:31 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 02:59:20 AM »
it started couple of years back with a clip on youtube & I thought what idiots would believe its flat and I thought it wont take me longer than a couple of minutes to proof its round...

here are a few points
1. water doesn't bend - Chicago across the lake for example, varies laser experiments over flat waters (discovery channel is never going to show you if its flat) I looked at privately done ones and multiple of them.
2. high altitude balloon (again - looking at the hobby person launching it to 120k feet or even higher with no curvature insight) Sure you wouldn't see a huge curvature but Nasa shows at 70k feet a massive curvature. Redbull jump for example was also doctored with - stickers didnt line up to previous shots on the ground.
3. Moon and eclipse - countless times which has been documented & filmed where both - the sun and moon are visible at the same time and the shadow going over the moon. Now this wouldn't be proof that earth is flat but it doesn't proof its round either.   
4. Climate - North pole vs South pole & comparison in between. North pole is -3 or -4 degrees and South Pole is -50 degrees average. If same exposure as per the heliocentric model one should see at least values a bit closer...
5. 24hr Sun at South Pole - couple of videos were shown as proof that there is 24hr Sun at the South Pole which turned out to be doctored/ tempered with. Suspicious
6. Antarctic treaty/ Nasa
7. the huge amount of blunders from Nasa & the ISS (quite disappointed as I was a fan of it)

It takes an open mind and a lot of reading of different literature. Once the penny drops though the current state of where we are as humans becomes clear or more understandable. From War to climate change, the financial system, Religion etc.... I have come to the realization that its slavery.

cheers