Poll

If theres a second round of violent protests, whose fault is it?

Donald J Trump
3 (75%)
Fkin AntiFa
0 (0%)
A bunch of dumb rednecks
0 (0%)
The grand ol' Party
1 (25%)
Fuck tha Police
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Capitol hill, jan 6: protest, attempted coup, or something in between?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:12 PM »
Let's not forget that virtually every computer in the Capitol has to be assumed compromised, every room thoroughly scanned for bugs, etc. It's not as exciting for TV to talk about, but this whole thing was a perfect distraction for malicious actors; very likely the whole point of the "protest".
I think that's giving them a bit too much credit.
It was a coup in the same way that your 6 year old is definitely leaving home and you find them at the nearest intersection because they're not allowed to cross the road on their own. They're mostly a load of kids running around causing mischief. Adult kids, but still.
Some of them probably had pretentions of something more sinister but it doesn't feel like there was any real plan or co-ordination behind it.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 09:38:47 PM »
Let me try to rephrase, since I don't think we actually disagree:

The mastermind behind the whole situation unleashed a bunch of useful idiots on the Capitol, and while that was going down, a small handful of people who aren't completely mindless could have easily walked in among the crowd and done a lot of good covert work. Since the date and location were planned, and floor plans were exchanged well in advance of the event (they weren't even really hiding it), it speaks to reason that SOME of them were organised.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »

The mastermind behind the whole situation unleashed a bunch of useful idiots on the Capitol, and while that was going down, a small handful of people who aren't completely mindless could have easily walked in among the crowd and done a lot of good covert work. Since the date and location were planned, and floor plans were exchanged well in advance of the event (they weren't even really hiding it), it speaks to reason that SOME of them were organised.

Iran, China, Russia... all of those would have been idiots to NOT have someone stationed at the protests just to keep an eye on them.  And this would have been one helll of an opportunity to get into highly sensitive data.  Even if it wasn't planned, it was still something any spy would have jumped on.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »

Interesting. Certainly plausible.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 10:07:57 PM »
Yeah, Pete's right. Basically all the IT and security staff are now working overtime doing asset management and assessment stuff. Everything is assumed compromised, and basically everything needs to be inspected for potential monitoring and recording devices. Everything down to removing and inspecting outlet covers, light switches, ceiling fans, toilet paper roll holders...

Its exceedingly unlikely that foreign agents didnt try to take advantage of the mob of useful idiots having their day in the sun last week

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 02:58:21 AM »
Doesn't sound like trespassing if they were welcomed into the building.

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-police-officers-suspended-after-pro-trump-riots-2021-1?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Isn’t that the Dracula defense? Or do I have the wrong monster?

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 03:09:44 AM »
Doesn't sound like trespassing if they were welcomed into the building.

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-police-officers-suspended-after-pro-trump-riots-2021-1?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Isn’t that the Dracula defense? Or do I have the wrong monster?

It's the South Park Chewbacca Defense.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »
Trouble is, as Tom shows on here daily, they are mostly sadly deluded and inept.

I’m sure Tom still had a nice day out though.

Stop doing this. Warned.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:09 PM »
It’s a fair cop, guv.
Although the second one was obviously a joke.
But fine, I’ll behave.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 08:53:45 PM »
It doesnt sound like the USCP is going to be doing a lot of 'welcoming' for the next round of visitors to the capitol... No ones worried about the 'optics' of having national guard at the capitol for round 2, but police planners think having a strong presence will be enough to deter 'protestors' from violence like last time. I'm not so sure...

The next wave of 'prostestors' are promising to be armed and are putting together Rules of engagement so that participants know when to shoot...

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 09:35:31 PM »

We had 3 things at work. 

1. A bunch of rednecks wandering around high fiving (hardly a coup)
Agreed
2. Some idiots that are going to do hard time for breaking in

It was certainly more than breaking and entering.  Some were armed, there was violence attached to their unlawful trespass, and they used the violence to disprupt the operation of government, which is sedition.

3. The press that raved about Coups and insurrections.   

There is definitely some hyperbole from the left.  There is certainly some of the right who are trying to make this seem like no big deal, which is also wrong.

The problem is what it's always been, the mad dogs. Other than motive there is not a lot of difference between the marchers in BLM and the rednecks walking around the capitol grounds taking pics. What set it all apart were the mad dogs that showed up for BLM and for this clusterfuck.

For once someone actually shot one of the mad dogs.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 03:25:30 AM »
Round 2 starts this week...?

http://imgur.com/gallery/KdV49RS
Boogaloo boys in Michigan and ohio capitols

Not seeing any details on accuracy or timing of the photos in the linked post which was taken from a couple reddit users' posts...

Edit: just a handful of armed boogaloo today compared to number of press and defense personnel at the capitols.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:29:12 AM by Iceman2020 »