IdentfyThis

The globe is dead and It's not even worth the argument anymore.
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »
Please don't waste your time trying to prove to me how all of this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0Gh97Hjag

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: The globe is dead and It's not even worth the argument anymore.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 03:01:29 AM »

I wouldn't waste my time with someone so blinkered, but you might find the Globe very hard to bury!
You are just one more sad case of:

"I don't understand the globe's magnetic field, so the earth must be flat" - rubbish, I could just as well say "why does the South Pole of the compass point to the South Magnetic Pole?"

"I don't understand North-South circumnavigation, so the earth must be flat!" - rubbish. The earth has been circumnavigated a number of times via BOTH North AND South Poles!

"I don't understand Gravity, so that proves that the earth must be flat!" - rubbish.

"I cannot explain Crepuscular Rays, so the sun must be close to the earth" - rubbish. In many cases this would "prove" that the sun was only about 2 km above somewhere like a Scottish Loch  ::) ::).

Then you claim that "It is impossible for the Sun to appear to change in size if it is millions of miles away."
And for once you are 100% correct, but the Sun DOES NOT to appear to change in size over the course of a day!
Have a read of this thread The Constancy of the Angular size of the Sun « on: August 24, 2016, 08:12:47 PM »
The photos are taken from a video by a Flat Earther trying (unsuccessfully) that the size of the sun changes during the day! All he showed was a little reduction in height (not in width) near sunset!

And more of not understanding gravity and air motion, looks like:
"I don't understand meteorology, so that disproves gravity", rubbish. Go read a book on what keeps clouds up there. Hint - water vapour (H2O) is quite a lot lighter than air (78% N2 + 21% O2).                                                             
By the way, the force of gravity depends on the mass of BOTH objects, so Earth massive, apple about 100 g and mass of cloud water droplet, 3.3x10-9 grams - now THAT is minuscule.

Oh, I give up! Someone else can tackle the rest of this stuff, but if that's your understanding of basic Physics, I can see why you accept that the earth is flat.

By the way, do you really think that the many hundreds of astronomers down through the last couple of millennia and the many thousands of amateur astronomers are so deluded that they don't understand the solar system and at least the nearer stars very well.

I know I'll never convince you of your almost religious belief in a flat earth, but hopefully, others will see how ridiculous you conclusions are.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

Wow. That is truly amazing stuff and I don't mean that in a good way.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

I think this thread should be renamed "The Flat Earth is dead and It's not even worth the argument anymore."
The only decision left is when and where to hold the interment.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:23:10 AM »
Did you watch OP's video? Is the massive amount of stupidity hurting your brain? If so, I recommend:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eyebleach/

Take a few deep breaths, and it will be ok!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 03:14:12 AM »

Are you really serious expecting anybody to be taken in by any of this stuff?

At around 7:17 you show this picture:

IdentifyThis, Earth from Moon and Earth behind Moon

Have you ever heard of "perspective" - the further an object is from the camera, the smaller it will appear in the photograph.

Now you could have done a tiny bit of research and
found that in the DSCOVR EPIC part of the photo the camera (EPIC is an acronym for Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera) is roughly 1,500,000 km  from Earth.

So in that photo the camera to moon distance is about 1,500,000 - 384,400 km = 1,115,600 km. These distances vary a bit, as both the moon's and earth's orbits are a little elliptical.

But in the part of the photo taken from the lunar orbiter the distance from the camera (a hand-held Hasselblad, by the way!) is probably only a few hundred kilometers (I worked it out more accurately once), but the camera to earth distance is about 384,400 km.

Surely I don't need to go any further. It seems that your whole video is packed with so many cases of your failure to understand such simple facts in photography, physics or anything else.

If you produced these videos, you should hang you head in shame for trying to delude people with such false information.

But YouTube is full of you complete rubbish.
Just take a look at Jeranism ridiculing the 8"/mile curvature presented first (from what I can find) but Samuel Birley Rowbotham! as though he blames Globe Earth Scientists for it! I have not real complaint about the 8"/mile curvature expression, but:
In mathematics curvature is actually defined as the inverse of the local "radius of curvature" - so Jeranism is quite ignorant of even the Flat Earth background!

But please, Mr IdentifyThis or TheMorgile or whatever you call yourself, spare us any demonstrations of you own ignorance, we get the message loud and clear!

Offline dopfer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »

You Sir or Madame, are clearly the best Troll i've seen for a long long time! Thank you for the laughs... ;D

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »

I think this thread should be renamed "The Flat Earth is dead and It's not even worth the argument anymore."
o

Amen  and R.I.P ! Actually the Flat Earth has been dead for several millenia. LOL
Maybe the Ice Ring would be an apropriate site for the internment ?
I think the flat earth process is "If I don't know any thing  or understand any thing about any thing, I'm not going to try to learn any thing about any thing, but just deny it exists or say it is a fake."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:43:55 PM by geckothegeek »

IdentfyThis

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »

IdentfyThis

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »

o

Amen  and R.I.P ! Actually the Flat Earth has been dead for several millenia. LOL
I think the flat earth process is "If I don't know any thing  or understand any thing about any thing, I'm not going to try to learn any thing about any thing, but just deny it exists or say it is a fake."
The Flat Earth was dead when they placed a globe in every classroom and the sheeple accepted it for 20 generations without any proof of anything at all.
Every ancient civilization KNOW the Earth is a flat plane and stationary, or how do you think they were able to map the whole sky to this day?
If everything is moving in space as we are told, the sky would constantly change...
anyways... keep laughing. I'm not gonna sit here and argue with sheeple about this.
I do feel very bad for you guys that chose to look the other way. Have a nice day now =)

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:17:42 PM »

o

The Flat Earth was dead when they placed a globe in every classroom and the sheeple accepted it for 20 generations without any proof of anything at all.
Every ancient civilization KNOW the Earth is a flat plane and stationary, or how do you think they were able to map the whole sky to this day?
If everything is moving in space as we are told, the sky would constantly change...
anyways... keep laughing. I'm not gonna sit here and argue with sheeple about this.
I do feel very bad for you guys that chose to look the other way. Have a nice day now =)
The flat earth was dead long before "they placed a globe in every class room." LOL.
I don't believe there are really any persons who believe in a flat earth but who are intelligent enough to get  on the Internet.
If there are persons who really believe that the earth is a flat disc (which I find hard to believe), they should get out of their denial  mode, get out from behind threr PC's, get out in the real world and learn a few things about it. I wouldn't say every day, but the learning process is a continual process, and I am continually learning something new.

Just an IMHO from this RE. You"re not making me mad, just supplying a few laughs if you are really FE pretenders playing a silly game. If you really believe that the  earth is a flat disc you have my sympathy  and hope that you will recover from your delusion.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:21:18 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:52:36 AM »

o

The Flat Earth was dead about 2,500 years ago, not just "20 generations" ago. A "spark" was kept flickering, but it was sort of "resurrected" in the 19th century.

And you claim "without any proof" when you cannot explain numerous things was see every day, let alone astronomical observations over millennia.
Try explaining:
  • the appearance of sunrises and sunsets,
  • the directions of sunrises and sunsets,
  • the length of day in various parts of the world, such as continuous daylight at the south pole from 21/Sep to 21/Mar each year,
  • the phases of the moon, including the fact that wherever you are on the earth you see (almost) the same phase,
  • the lunar eclipse,
  • the constancy of apparent size of the sun and moon over the course of a day,
  • the sharp horizon at sea,
  • the "dip angle" from eye-level down to the horizon that increases with altitude[1],
  • etc, etc almost ad infinitum - if you look there is massive evidence for the Globe!

Quote from: IdentifyThis
Well, every ancient civilization might have thought the Earth a flat plane back before around 500 BC, but after that the idea of the Globe gradually caught on.

Yes, most did think it stationary till after Copernicus' time, though some did query whether did rotate, notable Aristarchus of Samos and a few in the Islamic world seem to have "toyed" with the idea.

Then you ask "how do you think they were able to map the whole sky to this day? If everything is moving in space as we are told, the sky would constantly change."
Well the "pattern" of the stars does change, though very slowly. It is simply a historic fact that
Thuban is a former Pole Star
Thuban was the Pole Star some 5,000 years ago, when the Egyptians were building the pyramids.

By Bruce McClure and Deborah Byrd in BRIGHTEST STARS, May 6, 2016, from: Thuban is a former Pole Star.
The night sky back then was not exactly the same as it is now, but most of the change is due to the slight shift in the earth's axis with only a little due to the "proper motion" of the stars.

But, the patterns in night sky do not change significantly as a result of the earth's orbit around the sun simply because the nearest stars (apart from our sun - Sol) are so far away, over 4 light years. These distances are measured by observing the "parallax" of nearer stars as the earth moves half way around the sun.
"In 1838 Friedrich Bessel made the first successful parallax measurement ever, for the star 61 Cygni, using a Fraunhofer heliometer at Königsberg Observatory."

Don't feel bad, we are confident of our beliefs and have plenty of evidence to back it up. Also, we don't have to ever call a great number of people conspirators and liars for presenting almost unassailable evidence for the Globe. You know what I mean! Photos like these:

Russian Satellite Photo (around midday) - December 2015

Himawari-8, Full disk on May 5, 2016 at 00:00 UTC

Star trails around the south celestial pole

All I feel bad about is that Flat Earthers lock themselves out of so many of the wonders of the universe by their closed minds, but that's your problem, not ours.

[1] Even the pioneering Muslim scientist Al-Biruni knew this in the 10th century and used it calculate the radius of the earth,
      see Al-Biruni's Classic Experiment: How to Calculate the Radius of the Earth so you really are behind the times.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:34 AM »

o

The Flat Earth was dead about 2,500 years ago, not just "20 generations" ago. A "spark" was kept flickering, but it was sort of "resurrected" in the 19th century.

And you claim "without any proof" when you cannot explain numerous things was see every day, let alone astronomical observations over millennia.
Try explaining:
  • the length of day in various parts of the world, such as continuous daylight at the south pole from 21/Sep to 21/Mar each year,
  • the phases of the moon, including the fact that wherever you are on the earth you see (almost) the same phase,
  • the lunar eclipse,
  • the "dip angle" from eye-level down to the horizon that increases with altitude[1],
  • etc, etc almost ad infinitum - if you look there is massive evidence for the Globe!

Well, every ancient civilization might have thought the Earth a flat plane back before around 500 BC, but after that the idea of the Globe gradually caught on.

Yes, most did think it stationary till after Copernicus' time, though some did query whether did rotate, notable Aristarchus of Samos and a few in the Islamic world seem to have "toyed" with the idea.

Then you ask "how do you think they were able to map the whole sky to this day? If everything is moving in space as we are told, the sky would constantly change."
Well the "pattern" of the stars does change, though very slowly. It is simply a historic fact that
Thuban was the Pole Star some 5,000 years ago, when the Egyptians were building the pyramids.

By Bruce McClure and Deborah Byrd in BRIGHTEST STARS, May 6, 2016, from: Thuban is a former Pole Star.
The night sky back then was not exactly the same as it is now, but most of the change is due to the slight shift in the earth's axis with only a little due to the "proper motion" of the stars.

But, the patterns in night sky do not change significantly as a result of the earth's orbit around the sun simply because the nearest stars (apart from our sun - Sol) are so far away, over 4 light years. These distances are measured by observing the "parallax" of nearer stars as the earth moves half way around the sun.
"In 1838 Friedrich Bessel made the first successful parallax measurement ever, for the star 61 Cygni, using a Fraunhofer heliometer at Königsberg Observatory."

Don't feel bad, we are confident of our beliefs and have plenty of evidence to back it up. Also, we don't have to ever call a great number of people conspirators and liars for presenting almost unassailable evidence for the Globe. You know what I mean! Photos like these:

All I feel bad about is that Flat Earthers lock themselves out of so many of the wonders of the universe by their closed minds, but that's your problem, not ours.

[1] Even the pioneering Muslim scientist Al-Biruni knew this in the 10th century and used it calculate the radius of the earth,
      see Al-Biruni's Classic Experiment: How to Calculate the Radius of the Earth so you really are behind the times.
Irrelevant.

IdentfyThis

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 02:30:17 AM »
I didn't say 20 generations ago... I said that for 20 generations they believed the Earth was a ball because they had placed a globe in every classroom...

o

Try explaining:
  • the lunar eclipse,

IdentfyThis

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:43 AM »
and this is what you see at the equator...

IdentfyThis

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 02:35:17 AM »
and all of your evidence is nothing than photoshop and paitings... I need more than that.
NASA never hid the fact that all of their images are composite or photoshoped but they have no problem in letting the masses believe they are real.
Where are all those thousands of satelites and space junk? where is the fucking athmosphere? Where are the layers of clouds??

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 03:15:37 AM »
and this is what you see at the equator...

You don't even show where you got the photo! But it seems to have come from: Star Trail from the Equator (Ecuador) "From Southern Pole to Northern Pole"

And the explanation which you should have included was
Equirectangular projection of the all sky view. Southern celestial hemisphere is on the left and Northern celestial hemisphere on the right.
If you want to see the movie of the true sky rotation explained above (and showed in all these pictures) by moving the camera yourself, you MUST have a look at this "Virtual night Time Lapse Movie".

The photo you showed is just a sort of panorama showing both poles.

That same site contains these North and South looking star trails.

Northern view. The Northern pole is the center of the circles made by the stars due to the Earth rotation and is located on the horizon.

Western view. On the Equator line, the stars set vertically to the West (and rise vertically to the East).

Southern view, Southern pole is the center of the circles made by the stars due to the Earth rotation and is located on the horizon. A bright meteore left its "footprint" on the picture near the Southern pole.

So no problems. The stars appear to rotate counter-clockwise about the North Celestial Pole and clockwise about the South Celestial Pole exactly as I said.

IdentfyThis

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 03:23:40 AM »
lol

IdentfyThis

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 03:26:34 AM »
how come those two stars never moves since the begining of times??

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 03:58:52 AM »
and all of your evidence is nothing than photoshop and paitings... I need more than that.
You seem to have completely forgotten this bit:

Try explaining:
  • the lunar eclipse,

There is no NASA, photoshop not "paitings" in that!

NASA never hid the fact that all of their images are composite or photoshoped but they have no problem in letting the masses believe they are real.
What you mean is "NASA never hid the fact that some of their earlier images were composite"! Whole Globe photos are not possible from Low Earth Orbit - it is too close to the massive globe. Even the satellite photos I showed from Geostationary Orbit (at a radius of about 26,200 miles) still miss out on the poles.

Where are all those thousands of satelites and space junk? where is the fucking athmosphere? Where are the layers of clouds??

The "thousands of satellites and space junk" are simply too small to show on a photo of the whole earth! The photos I have shown cover about 8,000 miles in 800 pixels, so a satellite 0.005 miles in size (thats bigger than most), but ONE pixel covers 10 miles!

Be reasonable, even the ISS would need quite a good telescope to observe from that distance.

Then the "athmosphere" (whatever that is!) has an effective depth of under 10 miles or only one pixel on those photos and even on higher resolution photos the atmosphere is just a tiny film on the surface.

How would you see "the layers of clouds"? Most clouds are within a mile of the surface. Even storm clouds are rarely 10 miles up, so what do you expect to see?