Saddam Hussein

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2015, 01:15:30 PM »
Okay, but I'll use the tags:

Jon is elected Lord Commander in a strangely rushed scene.  The fan-favorite scene of Slynt's execution is handled excellently, and yes, the Mannis does give his badass nod of approval. Ser Barristan and Grey Worm bite it at the end of the fourth episode.

« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
What the fuck? Why would they do that?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »
I'm sure they know what they're doing.  Also:

Tommen and Margaery consummate their marriage, Cersei supports the election of the High Sparrow and the reintroduction of the Faith Militant to arrest Loras for being gay, and Littlefinger takes Sansa to Moat Cailin to marry Ramsay, with Brienne and Pod in pursuit.

« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
Mance is dead too? This is bullshit. How is Ramsey going to goad Jon into going south now?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
They might have Tormund take his place.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
I basically don't remember anything that happens in the books at this point so I literally cannot tell how far they are straying.

That last episode was slow, but I liked it. Arya was particularly badass. Badass in a more assured way rather than her previous brash and hot-headed manner. And I'm glad they brought in the same actor for Jaqen H'ghar. I honestly don't care for Arya's plot that much in the books, I thought it was a bit boring. But now I'm pretty excited to watch it.

I actually really felt for Cersei too. I think they did a good job of portraying how much of her power came from Tywin, which obviously makes her a more relate-able character. Before it was easier to write her off as just being a power hungry bitch, but that shift to portraying her as a typical over-compensating female manager fighting for leadership among men was good. On top of that, she had the scene where she was really worried about Myrcella. You can see them setting her up for her big downfall.

Anyone here think Euron Greyjoy and Daario Naharis are the same person? I just recently saw that tinfoil and kinda like it.

« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
Guess what guys, turns out valyria had nothing in it but dudes with grey scale LOL

I basically don't remember anything that happens in the books at this point so I literally cannot tell how far they are straying.

So far that it's getting to the stage where it isn't the same story anymore. It's turning into a bad anime that runs out of manga so just makes shit up. Granted, the acting and characters are still compelling, but the story is (imo) just lazy compared to GRRM (and his Dany is still no where near Westeros). But that's always been the case.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #307 on: May 13, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
I'm not digging this season as much as the previous ones, but that's largely in spite of the changes to the source material, not because of them.  The sad fact is that this is where GRRM pretty much just dropped the ball and began rambling with some very long, padded, and uneventful storylines.

That being said, giving Jorah greyscale was stupid.  The beauty of character deaths on this show lies in how sudden and shocking they are.  If they want to kill Jorah, then they should kill him off the same way that they do with everyone else - an abrupt, violent scene that leaves everyone shocked and horrified.  Giving him a fatal disease that he one day succumbs to months later just dampens the surprise for his eventual death.

Rama Set

« Reply #308 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
I'm not digging this season as much as the previous ones, but that's largely in spite of the changes to the source material, not because of them.  The sad fact is that this is where GRRM pretty much just dropped the ball and began rambling with some very long, padded, and uneventful storylines.

That being said, giving Jorah greyscale was stupid.  The beauty of character deaths on this show lies in how sudden and shocking they are.  If they want to kill Jorah, then they should kill him off the same way that they do with everyone else - an abrupt, violent scene that leaves everyone shocked and horrified.  Giving him a fatal disease that he one day succumbs to months later just dampens the surprise for his eventual death.

It is good to subvert your own tropes from time to time.  Also, maybe there is a bigger payoff to him getting grayscale than just his death.  Think outside the box bro.

« Reply #309 on: May 13, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »

Jorah Connington Greyjoy Benjen Mormont of Bear Island.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 13, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
Grayscale doesn't mean he will die for sure. But if he does I will be so upset. :'(

Rama Set

« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2015, 10:57:37 PM »
I was distraught enough about Barristan going down.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
Martin is the biggest troll of our generation. He sets up the favorite characters to die glorious deaths and then they just end up getting slaughtered in alleyways. The end of this series is going to have everyone screaming "WHAT THE FUCK?!" at their TVs. Only non-normal people can appreciate Martin's complicated sense of humor. The man is a genius at trickery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »
Another mediocre episode in this mediocre season, ending with a very tasteless, unpleasant scene.  Even if you don't consider what happened to be rape (in which case you're a terrible person, because it clearly was), it's still a disappointing stumble in what's supposed to be Sansa's development into a strong and ambitious political player.  She's spent more than enough time being a passive victim by now, and deserves some agency of her own.  Like, maybe she could have pulled a knife on Ramsay and warned him that she wasn't going to be pushed around like the other women in his life.  That would have a great follow-up to the previous scene where she basically told Myranda to fuck off.

The Dorne storyline is stupid, and the Sand Snakes are basically interchangeable wannabe action girls who can barely fight at all.  They're like fucking Power Rangers villains at this point.  And the Loras-on-trial storyline is also stupid.  It made sense in the books, because Cersei was the regent and of course determined to see Margaery go down.  But now that Tommen is the king, his refusal to intervene is just bizarre.  There were, what, maybe five or six sparrows (lightly armed and with no armor) at that hearing?  His men could have easily freed Margaery and Loras while probably not even having to seriously injure anyone.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:10:30 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
Quit being upset over fictional rape.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »
Thank you. I told my friend that the show is starting to suck and he told me and I didn't know about TV shows.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »

There is nothing stopping Jorah from being violently killed in the very next episode.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
Why should everyone be killed off the same way? That seems like it would get really rote, boring and expected after a while. Having something happen differently every once in a while rather than going with a Dark Souls style "prepare to die!!" gimmick (though in this case it's "you're never gonna know who we shockingly kill next teehee!!") seems like it would be a refreshing change of pace.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2015, 03:29:08 AM »
Well tonight's episode was pretty bad ass.

« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:39 AM »
Yes, it was. And it's about time. I was upset that there was still 1 giant, but then I wasn't when he started kicking ass.