Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5920 on: July 17, 2020, 06:08:02 PM »
Quickly, what was Hillary Clinton's main platform for presidency? It was "I'm a woman!"

That’s not remotely true. Your comment is as valid as saying Trump’s platform in 2016 was MAGA.

Wrong. While she made some tenuous promises that failed to catch populist appeal, everyone knows that Hillary's main selling point was that she was a woman.

Politico - Debate Night - Clinton crushes it - "Twice, she used the fact that she would be the first woman president to deflect questions — once on the fact that she would be the second Clinton to get the “crown” of the presidency and once about how she would be different from an Obama third term. 'I think being the first woman president would be quite a change,' she said of her differences with Obama, though was vague when pressed further for details."

NY Times - "Her chromosomes are, at least for Democrats, her biggest selling point"

Washington Post - "Yet the biggest reason of all that the 'why' question matters so much for Clinton is that she is a woman. Consider this Gallup poll from March, which asked Americans about the most positive reasons for Clinton's presidency. The top answer, selected by 18 percent of respondents, was that she would be the first woman president. Just nine percent said it would be her foreign policy experience. Three percent said it would be that she is capable, competent and qualified. Two percent said it would be her intelligence. And another two percent said it would be because Bill Clinton would return to the White House and could act as her adviser."

VallyAdvocate - I combed the Internet looking for signs of something approximating a political agenda. I pushed out the following question to social networks: “Support Hillary for 2016? Can you tell me what she would do?” The closest approximation to an answer came back: “She would be the first woman president.”

The Gallup Poll 2014 - "Clearly Clinton’s 'unique selling proposition' is that she would be the first woman president."

Examiner - "Hillary Clinton 2016 strategy revealed: I'm a woman, vote for me"

NY Post - "Hillary’s desperate pitch: Did I mention I’m a woman?"

NBC News - "Americans, for the first time ever, will truly have the chance to put a woman in charge of the country."

Atlantic - "We Are Preparing to Shatter the Highest Glass Ceiling in Our Country"

US News - "Clinton appears willing to roll the dice and use her gender as a major selling point this time around. Her advocates say that, in personal terms, she welcomes the chance to break the final glass ceiling. She hopes the prospect of her election as president will capture the imagination of female voters and cause them to turn out in huge numbers on her behalf throughout the Democratic nominating caucuses and primaries, and in the general election."

Marketwatch - "Clinton’s attempt in the Democratic debate last week to deny that she was part of the establishment because she would be the first woman elected president — a woman who is backed by all major party officials and bankrolled by Wall Street and Big Business — was a ludicrous effort that only further damaged her credibility.

The Hill - "Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright had a special message for female voters Saturday on the campaign trail with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. 'And just remember,' she said at a rally in Concord, N.H, flanked by Clinton and Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.). 'There's a special place in hell for women who don't help each other.'"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:28:34 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #5921 on: July 17, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »

That’s not remotely true. Your comment is as valid as saying Trump’s platform in 2016 was MAGA.

Wrong.
[/quote]

How many times did Trump chant "Lock Her Up!" or say "MAGA!".  Funnily enough these aren't parts of a platform, just like HRC using her gender as a selling point isn't a platform either.  It's a ridiculous conflation to make and I am not sure if you are just trolling or maybe don't understand what a platform is?

Interestingly, Trump last he was asked, had no answer for what he would do in second term.  Such a thoughtful president, right Thomas?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: July 17, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »
That's not what one of the top liberal rags Town Hall says:

Town Hall - "Hillary Clinton has been running on the platform, first woman president of the United States of America. Like most candidates she has also been more than happy to through her resume into the limelight. Her prerequisites to be the next president: New York's first female Senator (2001-2009), Secretary of State under Barack Obama (2009-2013), and her husband’s two terms as president (1993-2001). A grand strategy to win votes in the primaries, leading up to the DNC Convention."

"I will be the first woman president," followed by "I was the first NY female senator, "I worked for Obama," and then "my husband's name is Bill Clinton".

Not really engaging stuff. Clinton was clearly banking on her gender to get elected, above all, rather than any particular policy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:18:14 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »
Ah but Honk, Trump needs your praise so he will do things that make you happy, even if they will hurt you in the end.  So if you hate immigrants: bam, trump makes immigration as illegal as he can.  Hate China?  Bam, tradewar.

What is right is not always popular.  What is popular, is what Trump will do.

At least as far as illegal immigration goes, Sessions has been firmly opposed to illegal immigration and efforts to offer them amnesty or pathways to citizenship for pretty much his entire political career, and played a key role in shaping Trump's immigration policy. "China" isn't exactly an issue in the same sense, but I haven't seen anything drastically different between his and Trump's rhetoric on that subject. This election really had nothing to with policy or ideology. It was about who had Trump's blessing and who didn't.

Also, as much as I hate to get involved in Tom's weird sidebar, I think there's a major difference between what Hillary actually campaigned on and sneering headlines mocking her from conservative media.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: July 17, 2020, 08:27:06 PM »
Tom's weird sidebar, I think there's a major difference between what Hillary actually campaigned on and sneering headlines mocking her from conservative media.

Actually the majority of those are liberal media articles. The first quote I provided from liberal media bastion Politico says it all:

Politico - Debate Night - Clinton crushes it - "Twice, she used the fact that she would be the first woman president to deflect questions — once on the fact that she would be the second Clinton to get the “crown” of the presidency and once about how she would be different from an Obama third term. 'I think being the first woman president would be quite a change,' she said of her differences with Obama, though was vague when pressed further for details."

That was her answer.

Rama Set

« Reply #5925 on: July 17, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
I don’t care what those articles say, her official platform wasn’t that. It’s too bad you are so prone to fall for emotional manipulation because that’s what “MAGA!” is and what “I’m a women, vote for me!”  There isn’t serious substance to any of this.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:13 PM »
I don’t care what those articles say, her official platform wasn’t that.

It's not only what the articles say, it's what she said herself, and how she presented her main selling points to the world. Her presentation of herself was that she was a woman, and would be the first woman president. That was the main reason for why people should vote for her.

BTW, Clinton failed to reject Albright's hell statement:

https://time.com/4220323/madeleine-albright-place-in-hell-remark-apology/

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright apologized on Friday for comments that sparked controversy last week while she campaigned for Hillary Clinton, saying it was the wrong time to use her trademark phrase that, “There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.”

~

In Thursday’s Democratic debate, Clinton was asked if she agreed with what Albright said. “She’s been saying that for as long as I’ve known her, which is about 25 years,” Clinton said. “But it doesn’t change my view that we need to empower everyone, women and men, to make the best decisions in their minds that they can make. That’s what I’ve always stood for.”
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:06:40 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #5927 on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »
I don’t care what those articles say, her official platform wasn’t that.

It's not what the articles say, it's what she said herself, and how she presented her main selling points to the world. Her presentation of herself was that she was a woman, and would be the first woman president.

A selling point isn’t a platform. I can’t say it any clearer. You can equivocate for the rest of your life, it won’t change the truth.

BTW, Clinton failed to disavow Albright's hell statement:

https://time.com/4220323/madeleine-albright-place-in-hell-remark-apology/

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright apologized on Friday for comments that sparked controversy last week while she campaigned for Hillary Clinton, saying it was the wrong time to use her trademark phrase that, “There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.”

~

In Thursday’s Democratic debate, Clinton was asked if she agreed with what Albright said. “She’s been saying that for as long as I’ve known her, which is about 25 years,” Clinton said. “But it doesn’t change my view that we need to empower everyone, women and men, to make the best decisions in their minds that they can make. That’s what I’ve always stood for.”

You have a problem with this, but won’t say anything about Trump not only refusing to disavow white supremacists, but say that “many of them are good people”. This is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
A selling point isn’t a platform. I can’t say it any clearer. You can equivocate for the rest of your life, it won’t change the truth.

Campaigning on the spectacle of being the first woman president is certainly a platform. Breaking ceilings, woman power, etc. It's not a good one, but then again Hillary Clinton was not a good candidate.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: July 18, 2020, 12:25:30 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/17/trump-properties-made-over-17-million-from-campaign-rnc-since-2016.html

Even more evidence of Trump's corruption. And before anyone says it, whether or not Trump's overall net worth has gone up or down since he took office (not that we could definitively say which it is, given his refusal to show us his tax returns) does not mitigate or excuse this in the slightest. To lose money or business opportunities when you take public office is a sacrifice. It's something that you give up willingly, presumably out of a sense of public duty, and if that's not something you want to do, the solution is obvious - don't take public office. You aren't "owed" anything. Also, from the article:

“We hold some of our events at Trump properties because they are great venues that fit our needs,” the official said.

Hmm. I wonder, have Republicans always considered Trump properties to be "great venues," or is it a more recent thing?

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/11/republicans-trump-resorts-spending-millions-068676

lol
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #5930 on: July 18, 2020, 01:07:11 AM »

Campaigning on the spectacle of being the first woman president is certainly a platform.

I was wrong. You aren’t equivocating, you are just plain misusing the word. Platform doesn’t mean what you are trying to make it mean and you aren’t big enough a person to admit you’re wrong.

Breaking ceilings, woman power, etc. It's not a good one, but then again Hillary Clinton was not a good candidate.

Being the first female president would be a big deal. Not to you, unless it was a republican, because you only care about partisan hackery, but it would be another sign of positive progress in the world. It’s super sad that you have to mock the idea. It wouldn’t be substantive from a policy or lawmaking perspective, but culturally and historically significant.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: July 18, 2020, 02:11:40 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/17/trump-sours-on-online-learning-that-his-administration-evangelized-368536

See? Trump and Devos used to be all about the online schooling, but now all of a sudden schools must reopen in full!

What's changed, other than the opportunity to cause the deaths of thousands of Americans by forcing schools to reopen?

Trump is actively using COVID-19 to murder the American people!
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: July 18, 2020, 03:54:05 AM »
I was wrong. You aren’t equivocating, you are just plain misusing the word. Platform doesn’t mean what you are trying to make it mean and you aren’t big enough a person to admit you’re wrong.

Wrong. That was the main platform. Hillary Clinton's platform relied heavily on identity politics like your other liberal hack heroes. The democrats often resort to pushing meme candidates, as they have little else. Black, gay. Hillary was the woman.

Politico - “It’s not good enough for someone to say, ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!’” No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry,” the Vermont independent senator and former Democratic presidential candidate said in a not-so-subtle rebuke to Hillary Clinton.

Medium - "This is what ensured the destruction of Clinton, despite her being propped up by the MSM as an experienced candidate, running relentlessly on the Identity Politics platform with Wall Street donations at a staggering 1 billion dollars."

FiveThirtyEight - Every election is followed by an attempt to explain its outcome. One of the more common explanations of the 2016 presidential election was that Hillary Clinton lost because she relied on “identity politics.”

RealClearPolitics - "In her post-mortem on Hillary Clinton's failed candidacy, Donna Brazile noted that her students at Georgetown University truly disliked identity politics. 'They thought that Hillary spent too much time trying to appeal to people based on their race, or their gender, or their sexual orientation,' the Democratic strategist wrote in 'Hacks,' 'and not enough time appealing to people based on what really worried them — issues like income inequality and climate change.'"

HealthRift - The disastrous 2016 Presidential election saw Hillary Clinton run on the identity politics platform with the singular campaign strategy of "the first woman elected as President"

Rama Set

« Reply #5933 on: July 18, 2020, 04:09:58 AM »
Tom, one day perhaps you will open a dictionary and read the definition of platform. It will probably be an accident but it will happen. I’ll wait for your apology.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: July 18, 2020, 04:25:11 AM »
Tom, one day perhaps you will open a dictionary and read the definition of platform. It will probably be an accident but it will happen. I’ll wait for your apology.

You seem to be arguing that the Democrat identity politics platform isn't good enough to be called a political platform. That seems to be your problem for supporting such an empty movement.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: July 18, 2020, 08:02:35 AM »
Tom, that's SEVEN posts of "never-Clinton" in a row.

You do realise that she lost the election over three and a half years ago, and that she's out of the race RIGHT NOW, don't you?

And that this thread is about Trump, not his opponent of three and a half years ago?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Rama Set

« Reply #5936 on: July 18, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »

You seem to be arguing that the Democrat identity politics platform isn't good enough to be called a political platform. That seems to be your problem for supporting such an empty movement.

I’ve never supported her. That’s what’s so sad about your desperate ramblings. You are deceptive in your representation of her and deceptive in your representation of what I’ve said about her.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:33:32 PM by Rama Set »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: July 18, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Biden needs to change his slogan to 'Make America Great Again'.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #5938 on: July 18, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
Nah he should run on the platform of being a woman.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: July 19, 2020, 12:21:51 AM »

I’ve never supported her. That’s what’s so sad about your desperate ramblings. You are deceptive in your representation of her and deceptive in your representation of what I’ve said about her.

Where did I say that you supported Hillary Clinton? Learn to read. I don't care which liberal loser is your favorite. You are a part of the liberal movement who whine and pander in favor of the Democrat and liberal politics based on race baiting, sexism, and the like.

Like Hillary Clinton, you present no compelling platform which can catch populous appeal. This is why Trump won in 2016, and why he's going to win again. The rants here against Trump mean nothing if you have no compelling platform that people are excited to vote for.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:26:45 AM by Tom Bishop »