Offline Ajaycee

• What happened to Pluto ?
    • View Profile
Save the Repository
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »
I'm grateful for the information contained in the FES Repository, it's interesting reading and whether people believe it or not, is up to them.  Either way, it would be shame to lose it to history.  Some of the scanned documents are a little hard to read and in the interest of letting people read it and make up their own minds, I'm happy to start retyping and handing them over to the Society for their use.

To that end, is anyone else interested in tackling the matter ?  If so, it would be helpful to co-ordinate efforts to avoid duplicating the work.  If someone is prepared to take the reins I'm happy to work on it; If not, I'll start as I see fit and see how far I get.

Any takers ?

Ajaycee

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Repository
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:44:11 AM »
I really love this idea. Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to spare on retyping documents, but this may change in a month or so. Even if it doesn't, I'd be more than happy to assist with publishing any such documents.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »
I really love this idea. Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to spare on retyping documents, but this may change in a month or so. Even if it doesn't, I'd be more than happy to assist with publishing any such documents.
This is going to sound a bit bizarre, but could we not use the Captcha to get people making accounts to translate for us? I'm guessing that the effort required to set up would diminish the returns unless there is a web pluggin you can get to bespoke your own captcha content? I just wondered that if automated, one day it'd all be done as if by magic. Put it on Daniel's site where he gets 5000 bots a day completing the captcha forms and it'd be done in no time.  :P

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
We don't use CAPTCHAs on tfes.org because they're annoying and they don't stop bots/hired spammers anyway. And yeah, I suspect that setting it up would be more work than just retyping the text of the books.

But, to answer the question in a more general context, it can be done and has been done - reCAPTCHA (currently owned by Google) was originally used to digitise books; nowadays its main focus seems to be house numbers from Google Street View.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
If its more work don't worry. I just thought if the merger happens then Daniel's forum could be left in the wilderness in a quiet corner of the internet for the bots to do our translating.

The other obvious question is can we get a tame bot to translate for us? Are they available as an open source resource?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:23:45 PM »
We could try applying an OCR (optical character recognition) approach to anything that's reasonably readable already. A spambot would likely not be appropriate here, but appropriate software solutions do exist. Those could be applied to any printed documents we have, at which point we'd only need to fix incorrectly identified characters/words. This may or may not be a better approach depending on just how readable the documents we apply this to are in the firs place.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm just making the suggestion. Its way outside my internets.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:25:39 AM »
I encourage the OP to just take the lead and go wild with the idea. He can do some research and figure out how to do it. If he can find a solution then maybe others here will help run it through the program. Once he is able to digitize the material he can submit it to the society and it will be uploaded to the repository.

Good luck!

Offline Ajaycee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »
The book "Foundations of Many Generations" is now done however, pages 10 and 11 are missing from the online document;  Does anybody have the original or a copy ?  Failing that, if someone can source the text of those two pages, perhaps you can attach them to a PM and send them over.

Thanks
Ajaycee

Offline Ajaycee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
The book "Kings Dethroned" is now done however, pages 58 and 59 are missing from the online document;  Does anybody have the original or a copy ?  Failing that, if someone can source the text of those two pages, perhaps you can attach them to a PM and send them over.

Thanks
Ajaycee

Offline Ajaycee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
The book 'Sea-Earth Globe' is done.

I await the good graces of TFES and I'll send them over when required.

Ajaycee

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:54 PM »
Great job, Ajaycee, although I have not had the opportunity to read any of it yet. 

Offline Ajaycee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »
F.Y.I.  I've found the missing pages of 'Kings Dethroned' so its done and done.  No further action required.

Thanks,
Ajaycee