Ghost of V

Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
I'm sure Affleck will be fine.  The main reason why this movie will probably be shit is the people making it.

This. Also, I'm fairly sure that Affleck's Batman is supposed to be an older, already-established Batman. That's what I've been hearing, at least. I like the idea of Ben Affleck as an older Batman.

Well.. it is based on Frank Miller's batman.

No it's not.
“If you were going to do that, you would need a different Superman. We’re bringing Batman into the universe that now this Superman lives in.”

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be a younger Batman. Although, I would like an adaption of Frank Miller's Dark Knight, I doubt Snyder would be able to pull it off successfully. I think Batman vs. Superman is Snyder's own retarded creation. Also, they've cast Jesse Eisenberg to play a young Lex Luthor. That wouldn't make much sense if Batman was older, unless time travel was involved.

That article does say that Batman is older though, but that doesn't really make sense. Does it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:19:05 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »
I'm sure Affleck will be fine.  The main reason why this movie will probably be shit is the people making it.

This. Also, I'm fairly sure that Affleck's Batman is supposed to be an older, already-established Batman. That's what I've been hearing, at least. I like the idea of Ben Affleck as an older Batman.

Well.. it is based on Frank Miller's batman.

No it's not.
“If you were going to do that, you would need a different Superman. We’re bringing Batman into the universe that now this Superman lives in.”

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be a younger Batman. Although, I would like an adaption of Frank Miller's Dark Knight, I doubt Snyder would be able to pull it off successfully. I think Batman vs. Superman is Snyder's own retarded creation. Also, they've cast Jesse Eisenberg to play a young Lex Luthor. That wouldn't make much sense if Batman was older, unless time travel was involved.

I think he means its based on Miller's design (which is obvious that it was at the very least inspired by it, the Bat symbol on the chest proves that) not that its an adaptation of DKR.

Its definitely not an adaptation. But I don't think anyone's said that. Its just that design was inspired by it.

And as far as old/young Batman. I have no idea. Afflecks in his 40s though. How old is Batman when he starts out canonically? I could see it going either way.

Ghost of V

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
Alright. I'll agree with that. But when someone says "it" instead of "he/she", I'm thinking of something over someone. I got confused, because it does seem like he says its an adaption of Frank Miller's comic.

Btw. In year one, Batman is 25 years old. I don't know how canonical any of the comics are, though. I'm not really a comic buff, so I can tell you facts but I can't really tell you what they mean or how they relate to other comics, etc. Also, batman's bat symbol is a staple. Many iterations of Batman have had a very similar looking crest on their chest. Although, his looks similar in design, since it does look fatter than the normal crest. Google images can give you the answers you seek.

Also, according to sources, Batman is around 43 years old when the Justice League forms (and the next movie at this one is supposedly the JL movie). So this could very well be an older Batman, but I still don't think it will follow Frank Miller's retelling at all. Although, after LJ... who knows. Snyder could choose to bring Batman out of retirement, since he is 55 in The Dark Knight Returns.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:34:27 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
I think they were inspired by Jim Lee's Batman, too. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Lee's was inspired by Miller. But the crest is far more Frank Miller to me.

Ghost of V

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
The movies follow their own made up canon, right? If so, then any parallels we draw from the comics in regards to storylines relating to movie are probably going to be incorrect.

I really don't understand why there is a young Lex Luthor yet Batman is supposed to be older (late 30s, 40s?). That really shits on the lore.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:21:52 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
The movies follow their own made up canon, right? If so, then anything parallels we draw from the comics in regards to storylines relating to movie is probably going to be incorrect.

I really don't understand why there is a young Lex Luthor yet Batman is supposed to be older (late 30s, 40s?). That really shits on the lore.

Pretty much. It varies based on franchise, iterations, etc. As far as I know (not an expert at all obvs) the two Burton films were in the same universe. Kilmers and Clooneys are probably the same universe (not sure though). The diff Bruce Waynes throw me off but I think they use the same Robin.

Nolans are obviously the same.

I have no idea about this one, though. If I had to guess Id say different universe than the Nolan films. I didn't finish DK Rises. Didn't Bruce die at the end or some shit?

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
The movies follow their own made up canon, right? If so, then anything parallels we draw from the comics in regards to storylines relating to movie is probably going to be incorrect.

Are Bruce and Supe supposed to be the same age? I guess its possible that Wayne is 5-10 years older than Kent. No clue, though.

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Didn't Bruce die at the end or some shit?

No. Well, actually it's kind of ambiguous.

As far as Bman and Supes being the same age, I don't know. It depends on how many years have passed since Man of Steel. I always assumed they were close to the same age, but as you know... Superman is not human, and therefore doesn't age like humans do. He usually looks the same.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:26:37 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »

I know she's supposed to be just 13, but fucking hell Carrie Kelley is ugly, and has an overall crappy character design. I still stand by that Miller can't draw for shit.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »

It is not ambiguous.  Bruce totally lives.

As far as Bman and Supes being the same age, I don't know. It depends on how many years have passed since Man of Steel. I always assumed they were close to the same age, but as you know... Superman is not human, and therefore doesn't age like humans do. He usually looks the same.

In Kingdom Come superman has a little shock of gray.  I kind of like it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
The ending of TDKR is stupid, but it's not ambiguous.  Bruce fakes his death and leaves his gear to the guy who spent the entire movie failing at everything he did and getting his ass kicked by every run-of-the-mill thug he encountered.  Truly, Gotham is in safe hands. ::)  In any case, no, this new movie won't be in continuity with that trilogy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »

It is not ambiguous.  Bruce totally lives.

Interesting, when I saw it I didn't really care for the movie... so my attention was a bit... diverted. I thought it was easily the weakest of the trilogy and I think they fucked up big time with Bane.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »
How so?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:06 PM »
How so?

Mostly his voice. I thought it was awful.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
I like it.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
I like it.

Awee. I'm sorry. *pats you on the head*

In regards to Frank Miller, he wrote one of my favorite comics: Ronin. Other than that, he's trash. Dark Knight Returns isn't even that good, and the sequel is even worse.

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »
We need more female heroes and villains in these things.

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
I liked the Dark knight.

However batmans voice did get on my nerves a bit

Ghost of V

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
Just found this on wikipedia, somewhat relevant.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

No. Superman and Batman will be meeting for the first time and Lex Luthor is a Superman enemy, so his age in contrast to Bruce's is irrelevant. It'll probably be the rise of Lex Luthor, and Batman will likely be an established hero whereas Superman is new. Superman is already ~30 in Man of Steel, so Batman will likely be in his very late 30s or somewhere in his 40s. They don't have any frequently-established constant age difference, so saying it "really shits on the lore" is pretty wrong. Anyway, Jesse Eisenberg (who's playing Lex Luthor) is the same age as Henry Cavill (Superman), so that's all that really matters (though it wouldn't really matter if he wasn't, because changes are fine as long as they work out).
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.