Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
Current world record of distant landscape photography
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
I found this interesting page. There are some interesting observations and clarifications that arise from considering this world record photograph:

1. Sunrise and sunset are the best times to photograph extremely distant unlighted mountains and buildings because of the assistance of their being silhoutted against the sun.

2. The angle of view of the camera is about 2 degrees. So we are looking at a very small sliver of the view from 444km away. I added some annotation about angle to the last screenshot below.

3. Google Earth actually has Pic Lory in the French Alps invisible from the peaks near Nuria and Vallter, Andorra, Spain. I don't know if this is to save computation power, but a pythagorean calculation for the apparent 300 meters of visible peak in the photo yields a distance of pretty close to 444 km. I get 415 km. Since the distance is greater than what I calculated, we probably are seeing a bit more than 300 meters of the distant peaks.

Here are some screenshots I found interesting:

Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.