Flat or Round?
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
I have been cracking my head at this for a while now.
When you observe the Earth as it is, it looks flat but then you start to look at the evidence brought with regards to a round Earth, it becomes hard to stick to the Flat Earth belief.

Someone please help me find better info in the Flat Earth. The theory seems interesting and would love to read more.

Offline JAZZEYENANO

• I do not believe in a flat earth
    • View Profile
Re: Flat or Round?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:04:39 AM »
Much of the evidence of a flat earth is shaky at best and requires you to makes some pretty wild leaps. I would advise researching the counter evidence to any flat earth evidence and making a decision for yourself.
Convince me if you can

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:16:50 AM »
Flat Earth research requires you to think for yourself, and search for yourself. There is a lot to it and no one is going to personally spoon feed everything Flat Earthers have ever debated and discussed to you.

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »
If you want to take a look at how Round Earthers had debunked Flat Earth idea, go into this link.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6902.msg125438#msg125438

Take a look at the threads linked on this and decide for yourself.
Why believe in Flat Earth theory when there is so much evidence supporting Round Earth?

Flat Earth map cannot exist

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 05:17:54 AM »
Actually, have you looked at maps? Do you ever wonder why their flat? We do have globes today, but that's because kids take all the paper, doodling and stuff. You need to pay attention to details.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:28 AM »
So people can't afford paper. And NASA is totally photo shopping. Have you looked at their 'totally fake' videos and pictures? I don't know about you, but I know Photoshop when I see it. Very obvious.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
Flat Earth research requires you to think for yourself, and search for yourself. There is a lot to it and no one is going to personally spoon feed everything Flat Earthers have ever debated and discussed to you.

Honestly, that is a cop out.
I have seen you request other people to provide proof for their assertions (which you always ignore when provide or claim is faked).
What Flat Earth requires is a large slice of confirmation bias and a fair bit of cognitive dissonance.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
So people can't afford paper. And NASA is totally photo shopping. Have you looked at their 'totally fake' videos and pictures? I don't know about you, but I know Photoshop when I see it. Very obvious.

Stop with disingenuous posts in the upper fora. Warned.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »

Yeah. When it comes to obviously false theories that have absolutely no credible evidence whatsoever where everyone is making up their own totally delusional reality, of course you’re not going to find anyone agreeing on it. My own truth is that my cat is actually a Christmas tree in disguise. Prove me wrong, I dare you.  I’m just “thinking for myself” so, naturally, I’m right.

*facepalm*

The earth is round. It always has been. You think it’s round because it is. There’s evidence pointing to it being round because. it. is.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:32:45 PM by daworldisroundyall »

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:00:22 AM »
I agree with you; it's a complicated subject. But just know that the informed and scientific community all unequivocally know that the Earth is round; I applaud you for listening to our arguments. I'll repeat it again. The Earth is round. FE has resorted to denying basic, proven science, such as the Lawson criterion for nuclear fusion, the existence of gravity, the laws of optics, and the functionality of rockets.

the_random_one, the Earth looks flat to you because it is so large and you are so small. To see what I mean, imagine a massive sphere, or walk up to a spherical sculpture like this one: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_8NVovlkZfc/VIugTnpPYdI/AAAAAAAA0kY/ZyegjsosTbk/s1600/ball2.jpg. Now take a marker and draw a 1 inch by 1 inch square. This is what you and everything you can currently see are like on that sphere. If you imagine cutting out that square and laying it on a table, you'll see that it is awfully flat. This is the same reason why the Earth looks flat to you; because you only see that 1 inch by 1 inch square.

If you want a more mathematical treatment, I wrote about this in the Occam's Razor thread (sometimes these threads get derailed by wrong math):
I'd like to also include a bit of mathematical intuition for the seeming flatness of the Earth. Imagine you are standing on a large perfect sphere which is the Earth. It looks like the Earth's surface is flat because you can draw very straight lines on the surface. The Christoffel symbols of the second kind for spherical coordinates (note: this is the same coordinate system we use with latitude and longitude; the radius is fixed) are given at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html. As we all know, the Christoffel symbols vanish (become 0) in Euclidean space (that is, a coordinate system in which we can draw straight lines). Now consider movement on a very large circle (r=6400 km). Even if you move a seemingly long distance on your scale (say 10 km), you will move a very small angle. Extrapolating that to spherical coordinates, we can conclude that both theta and phi are very small in the local (that is, near you) coordinate system. So in the local slice of the spherical coordinates, you can see that all of the Christoffel symbols are incredibly small because the radius is large and the angular displacements small. This means that your local coordinate system is very similar to a Euclidean space and therefore the Earth seems flat.

TLDR: If you take a small section of a very large sphere, it looks flat. I wish I had a nice GIF for this, but I can't find one.