Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Are you ever going to take recommendations from other people?

If so, please give Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen a listen. It's an album that I'd consider 10/10. I'd love to hear your take on it.

I will try to actually listen to it soon, I promise. Possibly tonight

シャムキャッツ (Siamese Cats) - TAKE CARE: One of three Japanese albums (well, an EP in this case) I picked up from the Japanese iTunes store since I had ¥5000 to spend. I decided to grab a few albums I've wanted to hear but couldn't find torrents of. This one was nothing complicated, but a very pleasant listen nonetheless. The singer(S?) have(/has?) as very nice falsetto and I like their light instrumentation. My favourites of the five are “GIRL AT THE BUS STOP” and “CHOKE”, which, despite their all-caps and creepy titles, are very light, pleasant tracks.

ザ・なつやすみバンド (The Natsuyasumi Band) - Parade: Started out good, but the second half is wonderful. It’s mostly instrumental stuff with some singing, a lot of pleasant piano and some other weird instrumentation I can’t place, as well as drums and the occasional influx of guitar. My cat did a front-flip into the door. Half of the album isn’t really special, but the greater parts of it are very gorgeous and pretty and I like them. The best two are “Rhapsody” and “Nami”, followed by “Eureka”—which is almost Mario-esque—, “Kazemachi Line” and “Fanfare”. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:31:11 PM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2015, 02:03:16 AM »
Don't know if you're familiar with this one but The Fratellis' Costello Music is really good.  I recently rediscovered it (I heard "Whistle For the Choir" on an old episode of Community a couple weeks ago and it reminded me that I loved that album and spurred me to buy it) and I can't stop listening to it.

Also please review Congratulations by MGMT.  I've asked repeatedly and it still hasn't made your list.  Oracular Spectacular by the same group is also really good.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
^ Will do. Probably. I don't know at this point. Also I don't even update the list anymore honestly

スーパーカー - HIGHVISION: This is, hands-down, the best album I have heard in quite a while. Every single song is a gorgeous, amazing tour through beautiful soundscapes and fluctuations of genre, and every single one held my attention from beginning to end. I love this album. I don’t know what to call it. It’s some mix of alternative rock, electronic music and post-rock. They clearly don’t really care about genre and just played with whatever sounds and styles appealed to them, and I love it for that. I think it reminds me of old Adam Young’s work in a tangential way, in the light, soothing singing, the heavy attention to detail and large amount of things going on at once and below the surface, the arrangements and the slight dreaminess of it all, as well as the wonderful drumming that reminds me a lot of Port Blue. All that being said, it doesn’t actually sound much like his work. Anyway, yes, amazing album. My favourite song is “NIJIIRO DARKNESS”, but that aside I can’t really pick favourites, it’s all just great.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2015, 01:51:46 AM »
AWOLNATION - Run: Ever since AWOLNATION’s debut album, Megalithic Symphony, captivated me a few years back, I’ve been anxiously awaiting the follow-up because there wasn’t quite anybody else like them in music that I knew of. The music had pop melodies and occasionally silly nursery-rhyme lyrics and rhythm, but was so unabashedly electronic and raw that it was great. Some of the songs sounded like what your grandparents would think of if you told them pop/rock was made on computers nowadays. Heavy, thin bass and percussions, even some of the more melodic songs accentuated with heavy, simple clacks and thuds. I loved it. I was hoping the follow-up would be an even more refined, less hit-and-miss album. One of those came true. It’s definitely less hit-and-miss, it’s much more consistent, but it doesn’t have a ton in common with its predecessor. It’s much more grounded in “real” instrumentation, most of what you hear is played by actual people in a recording studio, rather than made and processed on a computer by one dude.

Make no mistake, it’s a very good album and Aaron Bruno is clearly just as inspired to create, but it’s not as unique as the music that came before it. Megalithic Symphony was whatever Bruno wanted it to be; according to him, he doesn’t think in terms of genre, just makes whatever he feels like making, and that showed on the album. The songs were everywhere, just very varied, differing drastically in sound within seconds and from track-to-track and that’s what I loved. On Run, however, it’s pretty consistent in sound and tone. It’s not necessarily bad, just a bit of a disappointment, considering that it sort of strayed from what made me love AWOLNATION in the first place.

All that aside, this is a really good album. From the opening intensity of its title track to the weird electro-faux-reggae of “Jailbreak” to the lighter, more soothing finish of “Drinking Lightning”, there wasn’t a song on here I didn’t like. My favourite tracks are “Run”, “Jailbreak”, “I Am” (which is gorgeous), “Windows”, “Like People, Like Plastic” and “Drinking Lightning”.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
Why haven't you listened to the weakerthans yet
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:10 AM »
hey took two months but finally new stuff

방탄소년단 - 2 Kool 4 Skool: Nothing amazing, but this is a pretty fun EP thing. I’ve never heard Korean rap much before, so it’s neat mainly for that aspect. I probably wouldn’t like it as much if it were an American album.

MisterWives - Our Own House: This was surprisingly good. Not just a standard, generic pop album, it’s actually really good pop in spite of the fact of how catchy and fun it is. It even discusses some really nice themes in a light, sad or pretty manner, all while still being fun and not bleakgrimmison. I could use more music like this in my life. Like Walk the Moon. Gewd stiffs
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:54:30 PM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
林強 - Millennium Mambo: Unless there’s one I’m not thinking of, this is easily the best film soundtrack I have ever heard. With the exception of the non-Giong tracks, everything is perfect and I love it. “A Pure Person”, “Fly to the Sky” and “Lighting Road” nearly moved me to tears. Not even collectively, but each one. That’s how much I love them. ughuu

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »

Try "Full Circle" Holger czukay Jah wobble jaki liebezeit.

Hypnotic!
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 29, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
Darren Hayes - This Delicate Thing We've Made: Haven’t heard this album in a long time. I remember it being too weird for me at the time, as it was at a point in time when I had a very conventional taste in music, but this time around it was really wonderful. The more regular songs were gorgeous, and the really weird songs were delightfully weird. I lurv. "Waking the Monster" and "How to Build a Time Machine" are delightfully and unabashedly ridiculous plots. "Neverland" is a dark, catchy song about spousal abuse and a small child plotting his father's murder. "Me, Myself and (I)" is crazy falsetto and dancey. A new highlight I'd passed on the first time through is "Setting Sun", which I am now in love with. Also "Bombs Up in My Face" is still fucking weird. qweaut wu tuea

Blake Lewis - Heartbreak on Vinyl: I was curious to see if my feelings on this album had changed at all, seeing as the last time I’d heard it in full was somewhere between 4-6 years ago. At the time there were a few tracks I loved, then the rest I mostly didn’t care for. “Heartbreak on Vinyl” was a beloved track for me and I kept listening to it, but even so, the last time I heard that song was a year or two ago. The others were “Sad Song” (which was nice), “Left My Baby for You” (which I liked a good amount), and “Love or Torture (Please Don’t Stop)” (which I actually think I like more this time around).

So yeah, many years later and my opinion is much the same as it was before. I wish I’d never stopped listening to “Heartbreak on Vinyl”, because that is still an amazing, weirdly beautiful song. I’m glad to have it back in my life.

Nate Ruess - Grand Romantic: “AhHa” has had me so incredibly excited for this album. The sound of it was so out there and weird that I just couldn’t wait to get more music like it, especially with Nate’s massive voice and penchant for making things bizarre yet catchy. Unfortunately, that is not what I got.

Instead I got a pretty standard pop balladry album. That’s a little unfair, to be honest; it’s a very good album, Nate does ballads far better than any other pop artist I know and he always keeps the music interesting. It’s just a let-down. From his work in The Format up to his work in fun., I’ve come to expect him to push his creative boundaries and make music that’s not necessarily “weird”, but far from standard. I guess this is my fault for taking “AhHa” as some sort of album mission statement, but the notion flares up now and then throughout the album

“AhHa” is the second track (after the short little intro), but basically the first track of the album, and right away it smacks of Nate’s oddball tendencies. It literally opens with him groaning/yelling/sarcastically laughing “ahhaa haa ha”, until that becomes part of the background music and he smashes in with a pounding drumbeat and him forcibly throwing the song’s words at your ears. The song fades to a light little reprise of a fun. song while some E.E. Cummings lyrics are recited in the background, before suddenly bursting back in even louder than before. I don’t know how Nate’s vocal chords still function. All that being said, my favourite part of the song is the false ending. A pretty, introspective outro that sets up the rest of the album, fading out with a “la di da…” when, suddenly, he cracks a whip and his guttural “ahhaa haa ha”s come back Jumpin’ Jeff Farmer style (that is, full-force). It’s the highlight of the album for me. Which is why I’m sad it opens the album, as the rest couldn’t live up to it.

“Nothing Without Love” is pretty, and much better than I thought it was when I first heard it, but is more or less a simple ballad. After that is “Take It Back”, which has crunchy guitar courtesy of Jeff Tweedy. Which is the best part of the song. The rest is alright.

Then “You Light My Fire” gave me some hope that the album was gonna be a mix of ballads and more experimental stuff. It’s no “AhHa”, but it’s wonderful. It’s a seeming mix of Nate’s catchy indie style of The Format and his baroque oddities from fun. in a great, great way. It’s followed up by “What This World Is Coming To (feat. Beck)”, which is okay.

Then comes “Great Big Storm”, which is my second-favourite song on this album. It’s not really strange, but it’s so bombastic and sporadically-delivered that it’s a thrill, because that’s what I think Nate’s the best at.

“Moment” is a pretty ballad saved only by the fact that the lyrics are fantastically sad. The same can mostly be said for “It Only Gets Much Worse”, except that’s also saved by Nate’s magnificent vocals and seemingly limitless voice. I think Nate Ruess is my spirit animal, because he seems to write what I think and feel. It’s weird that listening to such a pessimist sing is so damn heartening.

“Grand Romantic”, the title track, is pretty good. It’s simple, but nicely-done. Just disappointed that the tease at something bigger didn’t pay off. “Harsh Light” is pretty good. Finally, “Brightside” is actually an excellent song, I just can’t help but be disappointed that the album didn’t close on something bigger. It’s got little flecks of oddity and some fabulous, interesting background music and effects, but, damn it, I was hoping for another “AhHa” or “Great Big Storm” to close the album off. Something as epically huge as only Nate can do. Alas, I’ll have to live with it and either hope that his next album contains a few more tracks like that or hope that fun. decides to get together and make a new album soon.

All-in-all, good album. Honestly a very good album, I just felt kinda let-down.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
holy shit i'm updating?

First post-homelessness post!

Andrew Jackson Jihad - People That Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World: It started out pretty good with “Rejoice”, but from there it went to really good to great by the end. The only two really weak songs on this album are “Bells & Whistles” and “Randy’s House”, everything else is excellent. I love Scott’s ability to see both the best and worst of humanity, to be able to dwell on the pessimistic and optimistic and still come out the latter. The worst of humanity is in “A Song Dedicated to the Memory of Stormy the Rabbit” and “People II: The Reckoning”. The best of it is in songs like “People”. Those three are my favourites on the album by far for navigating these concepts so simply, but so harshly and so well. Also not just great for this album, but a great trilogy of songs in general. Aside from those, I also love “Brave As a Noun” because it is literally me.

Another thing I like is that this keeps in the punk fashion of White Lung and early The Clash, where they know songs shouldn’t overstay their welcome, each song being just as long as it needs to be and not being chock full of choruses. Because of that, this album is 11 songs long and only 25 minutes, since most of the songs on it barely exceed two minutes. I do recommend this to anyone who likes punk and folk, since this is a pretty genuine mixture of the best of both.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 08, 2015, 03:25:28 AM »
But is blake lewis better than lewis black
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2015, 04:14:48 AM »
yep

Primus - Tales from the Punchbowl: Well, wow. Normally I’m not a huge fan of metal. That isn’t to say there isn’t metal I like or love, but most of it kind of blends together to me, relying on the same conventions and not really clawing out of the bounds it’s crafted for itself. So it’s nice to see that there’s metal out there that pushes away from genre conventions, or at least takes them and re-molds them. This is sort of my idealized metal. It’s great music to get your blood pumping, but unique and complex enough that it isn’t bland and boring. Which is the kind of music my brother is literally listening to right now and it’s terrible.

Really, this whole album is great. The weakest song on it is “Over the Electric Grapevine”, and it’s only the weakest in that it’s a good song rather than a great one. I love how the heaviness of the album is punctuated with shorter, lighter tracks like “Space Farm” and “De Anza Jig” that give you a bit of a breather.  My favourite song is “Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver”, because it’s half “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” and half heavy metal. I’m gonna need to check out the rest of these guys’ discography, because I could use some more of this in my life.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »
yep

Primus - Tales from the Punchbowl: Well, wow. Normally I’m not a huge fan of metal. That isn’t to say there isn’t metal I like or love, but most of it kind of blends together to me, relying on the same conventions and not really clawing out of the bounds it’s crafted for itself. So it’s nice to see that there’s metal out there that pushes away from genre conventions, or at least takes them and re-molds them. This is sort of my idealized metal. It’s great music to get your blood pumping, but unique and complex enough that it isn’t bland and boring. Which is the kind of music my brother is literally listening to right now and it’s terrible.

Really, this whole album is great. The weakest song on it is “Over the Electric Grapevine”, and it’s only the weakest in that it’s a good song rather than a great one. I love how the heaviness of the album is punctuated with shorter, lighter tracks like “Space Farm” and “De Anza Jig” that give you a bit of a breather.  My favourite song is “Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver”, because it’s half “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” and half heavy metal. I’m gonna need to check out the rest of these guys’ discography, because I could use some more of this in my life.

Tales from the Punchbowl is the last good Primus album tbh, and even among their good stuff (first five albums, incl. one live album) I always found it kind of middling. That said, it does have some great tracks that are near enough on par with the best on Pork Soda (arguably their best work) and Sailing the Seas of Cheese, and I like how none of those albums, while they're all very clearly Primus, really sounds too much alike the others. After that their releases became infrequent and the band line-up changed pretty regularly, usually the drummer, and now they just sound like all of Les Claypool's other bands. So, while the completionist in you may want to venture as far afield as Antipop, the conscientious and experienced Primus listener in me wants to save your ears from (really really really really really really really really really really) not good things.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »
I'll definitely take that into consideration. For some reason I thought Tales from the Punchbowl was their first album. So I'll probably listen an album or so past it just to see how terrible it gets. I appreciate the warning, though. :P

Chelsea Wolfe - Ἀποκάλυψις: A gorgeous, haunting album that would work as the soundtrack to a particularly creepy movie à la PT, one that doesn’t rely and jump scares and uses ambiance instead. It has elements of drone music in it, in that much of it relies on repetition and a consistent sound for each track. Sometimes this can lead to less interesting tracks like “Tracks (Tall Bodies)”, but lends itself very well to the amazing “Movie Screen”, or the wonderful beat of “Moses”.

My favourites here are the aforementioned “Move Screen”, along with “Pale on Pale” and the beautiful, beautiful instrumental closer “To the Forest, Towards the Sea”.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
Gin Wigmore - Holy Smoke: Both better and worse than I expected. I prepared myself for a middle-of-the-road album with no stand-out tracks, and instead got a middle-of-the-road album that varies between really good and pretty bad. Well, “bad” is a strong term. “Generic” and “boring” are more applicable.

Specifically, the album started on a high note with "Oh My", which was a great track to show off the attitude and character that made me want to check out Gin’s music in the first place. Unforunately, the next couple of songs immediately settled me in for what most of the album experience was going to be. Bland, slow (which is fine if you’re good at slow songs—Gin Wigmore is not), and able to be described as, at best, “alright”.

There were some hints of greatness, in spirited tracks like "Don’t Stop" with its clever rhymes, and Wigmore proving she can do lighter tracks if she really tries with "I Do", which showcases little more than her vocals and a ukulele. Unfortunately, most tracks are more like "New Revolution", "Too Late for Lovers", or "Golden Ship", all of which I can hardly recall with how little of an impression they left.

"Mr. Freakshow"’s verses were great, but the second truly great song on the album is "One Last Look". It’s a more stripped down throwback to the opening track, both in terms of character and quality.

Unfortunately, the album closes with "Dying Day", which is the only track on the album I’d actually call “bad”. It’s so standard and uninspired, and it sticks to one of my most despised musical misconceptions, which is that you have to end an album with something slow and “moving”. A fine idea if you can do it, though still cliché, but as I mentioned before, Gin cannot do it. Plenty of great artists manage to end albums on a high-energy note, such as "No Cars Go", which Arcade Fire and I both consider to be the real ending to their album Neon Bible (as well as one of my favourite album endings of all-time), with "My Body Is a Cage" being more of a bonus track.

So, in short, this is a middling album with a few songs more worth checking out on their own. You’d be better off doing that.

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed: I didn’t really have any expectations for this album, so I can’t say whether it was better than I expected or not, but it certainly was a treat for the most part. I wouldn’t call it amazing or anything, but (with two or three exceptions) it was pretty great.

Merry Clayton absolutely makes “Gimme Shelter”, her raw emotion was incredible. Unrelated, “Let It Bleed” was really really gross. Like, seriously ew. Good song, tho

“Love in Vain”, “Country Honk” and “You Got the Silver” were all meh. Just wanted to get that out of the way quick.

“You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is a great closer for the album; Gin Wigmore could’ve taken a lesson from the Spinning Rocks. High energy fun with a sense of finality. “Monkey Man” and “Live with Me” were both fun.

But, most importantly, “Midnight Rambler” was amazing and seriously amazing. Like, I didn’t know I could enjoy harmonica so much until I heard that song. The beat, rhythm and pacing vary so wildly, and Jagger’s lyrical delivery is pretty great. The song comes off as more of a musical story than a dadrock tune.

So ye he he the album was good. Not quite amazing, but very good.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:49:14 AM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »
Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is: Despite a slow start, this is possibly (one of) my favourite Zappa album(s). While it’s not quite as experimental as much of the other work I’ve heard from him, it’s certainly the most accessible.

It’s worth noting right away that I’m still not a fan of the general sophomoric humour Zappa tends to apply to his music, particularly the habit of just talking about sex in odd ways. That being said, it’s worth it for the music itself, which is (obviously) what Zappa excels at. This album isn’t quite as experimental as…well, really any of the other works by him I’ve listened to. It’s also, however, probably (at least one of) the most fun.

It’s very bouncy and rocky, even on songs that, lyrically, seem like they should be anything but. In particular, “Suicide Chump”. That’s not a negative whatsoever; if anything, it’s the opposite. He also offers some great critiques on religion and religious culture, with “The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing”, “Dumb All Over” (which could even be a scathing poem) and “Heavenly Bank Account” (which reminds me of my sister, since she’s donated to televangelists). Perhaps I’m biased since, being in a very conservative area, it’s a culture I’m very aware of, very negatively affected by and very critical towards.

My favourite song here is either “Society Pages” or “You Are What You Is”, which pokes fun at people in the 70s – early 80s who tried so hard to be and inhabit the other race (which still holds pretty true today, honestly) to a painful extent. Not quite Rachel Dolezal — more like Paul Wall or “wiggers” (does anyone even say that anymore?).

All things considered, this is one of my favourite Zappa albums. I want to say favourite, but it’s been so long since I’ve heard his other works that I kind of think I’d enjoy them more nowadays since I’m into weirder, more experimental stuff. It was easily the least daunting, though.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby: A surprisingly great concept album, which was the last thing I actually expected from this. I was expecting fun, light, interesting pop. I got a fun, dark and twisted story. I expected candy, bubblegum and clouds and hearts. I got all that, with an extra dose of vodka, rape, kidnapping and murder. A pretty great outcome, all things considered.

“Dollhouse” was where the dark fun began, using the idea of the seemingly perfect, squeaky clean life of a set of dolls to show that nothing is as it seems. A theme continued through the album, with “Tag, You’re It” using the children’s game as a metaphor for rape, and “Mrs. Potato Head” for a surprisingly great and fitting allegory for plastic surgery (and also has some fantastic wordplay).

Melody-wise the album’s unique as well, using twisted versions of nursery rhymes and carnival music (done best on “Carousel”, easily my favourite tune on the album) or being quite literally bubbly on tracks like “Soap”.

The album very much has a story, with the titular character (Cry Baby) starting out as what her name implies, going through, uh, quite a bit, and ending up in “Mad Hatter” as…well…I guess it all really speaks for itself.

All that’s not to say the album doesn’t have its low points. There are some songs that, while I enjoyed, didn’t really resonate with me or pull me in, like “Pacify Her”, “Training Wheels” or “Milk and Cookies”. I like them thematically and they tie in well with the story, but just didn’t connect with me musically.

Overall, though, very good album. Definitely gonna be listening to this more.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »
テンテンコ - Piece of Dream: That was very, very different than I expected from her Good bye, Good girl. single. That had the titular single being poppy and fun, with a B-side that was odd ambient gorgeousness. This is pure experimental noise, and calling it “J-pop” is completely inaccurate. From start to finish, it seems to take more inspiration from Merzbow than BiS, the J-pop group Tentenko hails from. She clearly has a penchant for beautiful melodies, but completely forgoes it here in favour of stuttering sounds and rhythms that feel purposefully off.

It’s a very weird piece of work that I thoroughly enjoyed, though nothing matched the beautiful perfection that is “Hot pants”. My two favourites here are the bizarre “ポケモン” (which is “Pokémon”) and the ambient noise of “i wash my head”.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2015, 03:18:05 AM »
Various Artists - Moog: The soundtrack for the movie “Moog”. I expected to enjoy this album, but I didn’t expect to enjoy it this much. Damn. Every song was very enjoyable, but the ones that stood out stood out wonderfully. Stereolab piqued my interest early on with “Variation One”, which was marvelous and means I definitely need to check out more of their stuff now. Jean-Jacques Perry & Luke Vibert show how gorgeous a Moog can be with “You Moog Me”, as does Meat Beat Manifesto in “Unavailable Memory”. Pete Devriese’s “You Have Been Selected” is like noise Moog and Baiyon’s “Mixed Waste 4.2” is similar, which is a something I have a soft spot for.

The second disc is a collection of songs that feature Moog that weren’t made for the movie. The highlights for me are easy. New Order’s “New Monday” was a surprise joy, and the album closes with “Close to the Edge” by Yes, which is a sprawling 18-minute long track that’s fantastic from start to finish. The best song on the entire album, however, is They Might Be Giants’ “Baroque Hoedown”. This song is perfect and I am going to find more of their stuff now because damn.

So yeah, very good album.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 09, 2015, 06:45:16 AM »
Are you still going by the FES recommendations list?
The Mastery.