Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Supes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
You're not even trying at this point, are you?

To be fair, that is an incredible album. Doesn't make the troll any better, but
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
You're not even trying at this point, are you?

To be fair, that is an incredible album. Doesn't make the troll any better, but

You guys are fucking ridiculous. I can't even legitimately respond to a thread without being called a troll? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
My mistake. I legitimately meant to use the word "alt", don't know why I said troll.

Ghost of V

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »
My mistake. I legitimately meant to use the word "alt", don't know why I said troll.

No, you were right the first time.

Also, it's a shame you don't have any XTC on that list. Have you listened to their music?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
Yo, what would you suggest to someone who listens to a lot of Kanye West?

I wouldn't ask for music recommendations from anyone who has Flyleaf on their "must listen to" list.

Just saying.

lol u dumb

Ghost of V

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
derrr

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2014, 03:10:51 AM »
The Clash - London Calling: So, the album started with “London Calling”, which...is easily one of my favourite songs by The Clash already and when I heard it. That song alone gave me pretty high expectations, the way it sounds like a dirge foretelling the inevitable fall of London. It's absolutely fantastic. From that to “Brand New Cadillac”...I dunno. The song's not bad, but not anything real special. From there it kinda goes downhill...good on them for experimenting, and I'm not gonna bash them for doing so as I actively promote experimenting from artists, but I don't particularly like it here. Things look up a bit once “Lost in the Supermarket” comes around, which is a wonderfully sad, lonely song, and “Clampdown” is nice for the lack of a chorus and being a bit better. I will say, the album peaks again for a little while, “The Guns of Brixton” comes around and feels a whole lot more punk in attitude despite being so reggae, “Wrong 'Em Boyo” follows and is surprisingly fun, different and jazzy, “Death or Glory” is wonderful in spite of its clear dadrockness and then “Koka Kola” becomes one of my favourites for the oddness of hearing cocaine advertised with soft drink slogans. “The Card Cheat” is cheesy but good, and then the album takes a huge dip after that with the weird, awkwardly sexual love song that is “Lover's Rock”. From there it never really picks up and ends with the dadrockiest song I've heard from them, “Train in Vain”, which—to be fair—is pretty good.

So, all-in-all, I didn't enjoy this album as much as their first. It was good, not terrible, and had some of their better songs, but as a whole it just was more of a drag to sit through. The biggest culprit was how padded their songs became, with so much repetition of the chorus, punctuating verses with it and then often having it repeat multiple times near the end. Basically, this album was much more dadrock and kind of cliché and typical. Again, that's not to say it's bad, just kinda disappointing.

Ghost of V

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:18 AM »
Sandinista is way more unique, but London Calling is great. I really like the song Koka Kola, even though its about a minute long... And of course Train in Vain is a classic Clash song.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
I really like the song Koka Kola, even though its about a minute long...
That's part of why I like it. Too many of the songs on the album are longer than they need to be. Part of what I loved about the first album was how concise the tracks were, short and to the point rather than dragging them out with incessant choruses.

The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward: I dunno what I expected from the album, but this was probably far more gorgeous than it. The first two songs were very pretty but didn't completely enamour me, but once “Built Then Burnt (Hurrah! Hurrah!)” came around, it became pretty masterfully beautiful. The album conveys so much, evoking a plethora of emotions (often within a single song) and just overall being a glorious work of art. My favourite is “C'monCOMEON(Loose an Endless Longing)”, which has a huge range of tempos and is the one that pulled at me the most in general. Second would be “Take These Hands and Throw Them in the River”, which is incredibly intense and actually made me feel a little anxious as my heart fluttered at the same time from how great it was. The closer, “The Triumph of Our Tired Eyes.”, is almost as good. It's just really, really beautiful. I highly recommend this to everyone and everyone.

Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder: I didn't like this album nearly as much as Born into Trouble, but it was very nice still. My favourite tracks were the odder ones, namely “There is No Dance in Frequency and Balance” and “Côte d'Abrahams Roomtone/"What's Going On?..." (From Lips of Lying Dying Wonder Body #3)”, but the rest of it was really good too. Yet still, nothing struck me quite as much as the prior album did, but it was still a great listen. I did thoroughly enjoy some of the crackling, odd ambience. I don't really have a whole lot more to say.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:55:34 AM by Snupes »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »
post-rock

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
Seriously...

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
I really like the song Koka Kola, even though its about a minute long...
That's part of why I like it. Too many of the songs on the album are longer than they need to be. Part of what I loved about the first album was how concise the tracks were, short and to the point rather than dragging them out with incessant choruses.

The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward: I dunno what I expected from the album, but this was probably far more gorgeous than it. The first two songs were very pretty but didn't completely enamour me, but once “Built Then Burnt (Hurrah! Hurrah!)” came around, it became pretty masterfully beautiful. The album conveys so much, evoking a plethora of emotions (often within a single song) and just overall being a glorious work of art. My favourite is “C'monCOMEON(Loose an Endless Longing)”, which has a huge range of tempos and is the one that pulled at me the most in general. Second would be “Take These Hands and Throw Them in the River”, which is incredibly intense and actually made me feel a little anxious as my heart fluttered at the same time from how great it was. The closer, “The Triumph of Our Tired Eyes.”, is almost as good. It's just really, really beautiful. I highly recommend this to everyone and everyone.

Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder: I didn't like this album nearly as much as Born into Trouble, but it was very nice still. My favourite tracks were the odder ones, namely “There is No Dance in Frequency and Balance” and “Côte d'Abrahams Roomtone/"What's Going On?..." (From Lips of Lying Dying Wonder Body #3)”, but the rest of it was really good too. Yet still, nothing struck me quite as much as the prior album did, but it was still a great listen. I did thoroughly enjoy some of the crackling, odd ambience. I don't really have a whole lot more to say.

Horses in the Sky next
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:57:43 PM by Foxbox »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:44 AM »
^ Will do sooner rather than later, most likely. I've been getting back into listening to recommendations again recently, albeit not in the list's order...like I said before, I may start foregoing the order overall just to facilitate my actual getting around to it. I was out of the groove for a bit, but I've gotten that spark of getting excited about new music back again. :]

Dntel - Life Is Full of Possibilities: I've been wanting to listen to this for a couple of years now (it was one of the first albums I put on my list) and just now got around to it. Honestly, I was kinda disappointed. It was very good, but I think I built it up way too much in my own mind and had too much time to project what I thought it would sound like onto it. Dntel is one half of The Postal Service (the music production half), so I was hoping for some of that to show through but it really didn't. So on its own, it was a nice glitchy experimental electronica album. My favourite song was “(This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chan”, which featured Ben Gibbard (the vocals half of The Postal Service) and is the song that made their duo happen. It was really nice and sounded like a heavier version of their later collaborations. Other than that were “Why I'm So Unhappy”, which reminded me of Frou Frou, “Fireworks”, which  was a wonderfully glitchy dance track, and “Last Songs”, which was just a really pretty finish.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
Kite Riders - Thump: Was definitely not expecting to be so into this EP when I decided to listen; I just wanted something to listen to while I played this game. Loved it, a lot. The best track is “Thump”, which is clever and fun, and the two second-best are “Split an Atom” (which is just cool rock fun stuff) and “Final Destination” (which is break-up ballad awesome vocal stuff). I got it off some random site where indie artists can upload free examples of their work, so I am now hipster.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:03 AM »
We talked about this in IRC, but just to make it official: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick.  It's a single track that's about forty-four minutes long, so be prepared for that, but it's definitely worth a listen.  It's basically a parody of big sprawling concept albums that bands like Genesis and Rush would make, the ones with elaborate instrumentation and long-winded lyrics that try to tell epic, deep stories.  This album is basically all of that turned up to eleven.  It's creative, bombastic, over-the-top, technically impressive, and even funny at times.  It's utterly ingenious, and yet it's one of the dumbest pieces of music I've ever heard.  It's the kind of album that Blanko and I both like.  What else can I say, it's Thick as a Brick.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »
It's a single track that's about forty-four minutes long

Given that the original release medium was a vinyl LP, I call bullshit.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
It's a single track that's about forty-four minutes long

Given that the original release medium was a vinyl LP, I call bullshit.

Well, side A segues right into side B, so it's more like one song split into two tracks.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
Parsifal'd.

Oh, and I also recommend Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.  Springsteen became a lot more "conventional" after his first three albums, settling into a very familiar verse-chorus format, so I think you'll almost certainly prefer the early ones.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:53:27 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
lol

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-03/stairway-to-heaven-lawsuit-demands-jimmy-pages-casette-tapes

A handful of Led Zeppelin's songs were certainly ripoffs, but "Stairway to Heaven" was not one of them.  About two to three seconds of the chord progression on the acoustic guitar sound alike, as you'll notice:

Ghost of V

« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2014, 02:15:29 AM »
Parsifal'd.

Oh, and I also recommend Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.  Springsteen became a lot more "conventional" after his first three albums, settling into a very familiar verse-chorus format, so I think you'll almost certainly prefer the early ones.

Springsteen is crap.