Yaakov ben Avraham

Christopher Columbus and his "The Book of Prophecies".
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:27 AM »
Greetings:

I have obtained a book entitled "The Book of Prophecies". The book was edited by Christopher Columbus and a good friend of his, a Carthusian monk. The purpose of the book was to take biblical and philosophical writings and use them to prove that Columbus was foreordained of God to his position of finding the Indies (which he died believing were the EAST Indies, rather than the West). I have also obtained his book "The Book of Privileges", which was a book that he wrote outlining what he believed were the privileges that were owed him and his family by the Catholic Kings for his deeds in finding the Indies.

As I do my work on the Admiral, I never cease to be amazed at the cajones the man had. At the same time, I never cease to be amazed at the venality of the Catholic Sovereigns as well. Columbus had the unmitigated audacity to ask for HUGE powers and riches for himself and his family. And the Catholic Sovereigns granted what he asked for, and then were venal enough to take it all away.

As far as the Flat Earth is concerned, the old myth that he proved the Earth round is simply false. Educated Europeans had known the Earth was round since Aristotle. I have yet to read "The Book of Prophecies" and "The Book of Privileges". I just got them. But I shall welcome anything anybody has to say regarding the subject of Columbus, since I am writing about him for my Doctoral dissertation.

Thork

Re: Christopher Columbus and his "The Book of Prophecies".
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »
Educated Europeans have been mistakenly believing the Earth was round since Aristotle.
ftfy

Columbus was a truly vile man. His treatment of slaves etc was reprehensible.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
Educated Europeans have been mistakenly believing the Earth was round since Aristotle.
ftfy

ad hominem again? Why can't you deal with the person's arguments and discoveries without assassinating his character? It's not like every time someone mentions Rowbotham, REers point to his medical quackery.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
ftfy

ad hominem again? Why can't you deal with the person's arguments and discoveries without assassinating his character? It's not like every time someone mentions Rowbotham, REers point to his medical quackery.
Either back your accusations with sources or stop following me around the forum blurting out your ignorance.

Quote from: http://www.understandingprejudice.org/nativeiq/columbus.htm
Christopher Columbus Claiming the Americas Many people are surprised to learn that Christopher Columbus and his men enslaved native inhabitants of the West Indies, forced them to convert to Christianity, and subdued them with violence in an effort to seek riches.

Quote from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-kasum/columbus-day-a-bad-idea_b_742708.html
Once again, it's time to celebrate Columbus Day. Yet, the stunning truth is: If Christopher Columbus were alive today, he would be put on trial for crimes against humanity. Columbus' reign of terror, as documented by noted historians, was so bloody, his legacy so unspeakably cruel, that Columbus makes a modern villain like Saddam Hussein look like a pale codfish.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:05:06 PM by Thork »

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
ftfy

Either back your accusations with sources or stop following me around the forum blurting out your ignorance.

Christopher Columbus Claiming the Americas Many people are surprised to learn that Christopher Columbus and his men enslaved native inhabitants of the West Indies, forced them to convert to Christianity, and subdued them with violence in an effort to seek riches.

Quote from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-kasum/columbus-day-a-bad-idea_b_742708.html
Once again, it's time to celebrate Columbus Day. Yet, the stunning truth is: If Christopher Columbus were alive today, he would be put on trial for crimes against humanity. Columbus' reign of terror, as documented by noted historians, was so bloody, his legacy so unspeakably cruel, that Columbus makes a modern villain like Saddam Hussein look like a pale codfish.
Please review the definition of the fallacy you're making. Don't attack the person. See: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html Logic is your friend.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
ftfy

Please review the definition of the fallacy you're making. Don't attack the person. See: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html Logic is your friend.
So it is Ok for you to libel John Hampden in the other thread, but I'm not allowed point out certified facts about Columbus character? Hypocrite.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
ftfy

So it is Ok for you to libel John Hampden in the other thread, but I'm not allowed point out certified facts about Columbus character? Hypocrite.
Where did I libel Hampden? If I did so as an attack on his argument, I would be very wrong. Of course, I suspect that you're just making that up. Note that I'm attacking your claim of evidence, not calling you a liar.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
So it is Ok for you to libel John Hampden in the other thread, but I'm not allowed point out certified facts about Columbus character?
The Hampden's character is relevant in the other thread.  How is Columbus's character relevant to his book of prophecies? 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
So it is Ok for you to libel John Hampden in the other thread, but I'm not allowed point out certified facts about Columbus character?
The Hampden's character is relevant in the other thread.  How is Columbus's character relevant to his book of prophecies? 
Read the OP.

But I shall welcome anything anybody has to say regarding the subject of Columbus, since I am writing about him for my Doctoral dissertation.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
Read the OP.

But I shall welcome anything anybody has to say regarding the subject of Columbus, since I am writing about him for my Doctoral dissertation.
Although I don't claim to be psychic, my guess is that when Yaakov said "anything, he meant "anything relating to the book of prophecies that he helped edit".  Maybe you could point out which of the prophecies had to do with the brutal conquest of a new world or the misery caused by hundreds of years of slavery.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
No, his dissertation is on Columbus. Not that book. Read the OP properly.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Then maybe you can provide some insight about Columbus that isn't already common knowledge.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
Maybe you can provide anything at all?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:40 AM »
Being as how I am getting married in 2 days, I shall come back in a few days. Talk to you all later.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
Being as how I am getting married in 2 days, I shall come back in a few days. Talk to you all later.
Hey, congratulations. Have a great honeymoon! :D