Ghost of V

Re: Dealing with Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »
Adding to Thork's point... Why is the flag waving? Different pictures show different creases in the fabric suggesting some sort of fan blowing off-camera.

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »

Why does the small thing on top of the camera, cast such a large shadow? Its is a though its very close to the studio light. But of course there aren't any studio lights on the moon. Certainly not powerful enough to illuminate an entire lunarscape. And its the only source of light. Otherwise that shadow would be lighter if a sun was shining on the ground to show the contours of the moon and the boot marks etc. I don't understand the light source here at all.

That's not a shadow.  It's one of the RCS thruster nozzles.

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
Adding to Thork's point... Why is the flag waving? Different pictures show different creases in the fabric suggesting some sort of fan blowing off-camera.

Or that there is some sort of momentum imparted to the flag causing it to ripple.

Ghost of V

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »

Or that there is some sort of momentum imparted to the flag causing it to ripple.

And that force didn't dissipate for 2+ hours?

Rama Set

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »

Where are you getting the 2+ hours from?

Because there is no atmosphere the rippling would lay longer on Earth, not sure how much longer.

Who is to say it was not jostled again?

Ghost of V

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
Sorry, I got confused. That picture is from Apollo 17 expedition. I was thinking Apollo 11, which would be incorrect. Still, that flag had been up there for a long time. It shouldn't be shown to wave in different pictures. It should be static, there is no wind on the Moon. Are you trying to say that the flag was moved by aliens?

Rama Set

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
A good read to provoke further discussion or quiet doubts:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html#flame

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Sorry, I got confused. That picture is from Apollo 17 expedition. I was thinking Apollo 11, which would be incorrect. Still, that flag had been up there for a long time. It shouldn't be shown to wave in different pictures. It should be static, there is no wind on the Moon. Are you trying to say that the flag was moved by aliens?

How are you getting that it's waving from a single still image?  When I look at the other images of the flag from the same reel of photos on the NASA archives, the flag looks the same in every image I can see.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Thork

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

Because there is no atmosphere the rippling would lay longer on Earth, not sure how much longer.

What? The atmosphere has nothing to do with flags waving for hours. The pole itself would create losses. If you bend something repeatedly it gets warmer as internal friction of the materials change the energy into heat. Unless NASA have created a perpetual motion machine and plonked it on the moon in 1969.

Rama Set

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »

What? The atmosphere has nothing to do with flags waving for hours. The pole itself would create losses. If you bend something repeatedly it gets warmer as internal friction of the materials change the energy into heat. Unless NASA have created a perpetual motion machine and plonked it on the moon in 1969.

The atmosphere would obviously have something to do with it, since air resistance is a thing.  It would not ripple infinitely, but it would ripple much longer than on Earth as mentioned in the link I posted afterwards.

Thork

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »

The atmosphere would obviously have something to do with it, since air resistance is a thing.  It would not ripple infinitely, but it would ripple much longer than on Earth as mentioned in the link I posted afterwards.
Air resistance is negligible compared to the stiffness of a solid material. You know that right? You are just lonely and trying to bait a conversation. You nearly got me. ;)

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
I still don't understand how any of you have determined that the flag is moving from a single still image.

Thork

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
I still don't understand how any of you have determined that the flag is moving from a single still image.
No, there is footage. This is a very common objection from moon deniers. I suspect there was some assumption that everyone would know about this as it comes up a lot with the moon hoax.
http://listverse.com/2012/12/28/10-reasons-the-moon-landings-could-be-a-hoax/

Rama Set

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »

Air resistance is negligible compared to the stiffness of a solid material. You know that right? You are just lonely and trying to bait a conversation. You nearly got me. ;)

I was decidedly agnostic as to how much of a difference it would make so I am not sure how my statement is exclusive to yours. Who is baiting who?

Rama Set

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
No, there is footage. This is a very common objection from moon deniers. I suspect there was some assumption that everyone would know about this as it comes up a lot with the moon hoax.
http://listverse.com/2012/12/28/10-reasons-the-moon-landings-could-be-a-hoax/

Did you want to provide a link to the footage or....

This list includes classic blunders by other Apollo conspiracy enthusiasts so I am getting my grains of salt ready.

Thork

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Jeez. Google it you lazy so-in-so. Its very very mainstream.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
Do you mean this video?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

I have my own business to attend to.  Speaking of lazy, why did you post a link to footage that contained no footage?  Anyway, all of these Apollo objections have been debunked 1000s of times.  It is pretty tired really.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
[/quote]Oh my, you don't understand what a perpetual motion machine would be. First, please learn the definition of "perpetual". Then tell us how long you observed the flag wave, without interruption. Now tell us that you've misused the term.

Next, please study thermodynamics. Since the flag is not a closed system, you can't argue that it must stop waving based on your limited understanding of TD and perpetual motion. Surely uneven heating by the Sun on the flag, for example, could keep the flag waving throughout the photography period of each mission.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Oh my, you don't understand what a perpetual motion machine would be. First, please learn the definition of "perpetual". Then tell us how long you observed the flag wave, without interruption. Now tell us that you've misused the term.

Next, please study thermodynamics. Since the flag is not a closed system, you can't argue that it must stop waving based on your limited understanding of TD and perpetual motion. Surely uneven heating by the Sun on the flag, for example, could keep the flag waving throughout the photography period of each mission.
???  How would uneven heating cause a nylon flag to wave in a vacuum?  You might just as well say that the solar wind could be why the flag keeps waving.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.