Offline Pinky

• View Profile
Question about logic.
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
I have noticed that several people on this forum post statements that are illogical and/or mathematically incorrect.

Am I allowed to correct them or will my attack on their logic be regarded as an attack on them as a person, respectively as an attack on the FE-community?

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Question about logic.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
How about you think about that question logically?

Is correcting mathematics or factually incorrect statements a personal attack?

Whoever you are arguing with and whatever it is about ... I'll bet you are the one that is wrong. Surely you could have figured out the answer to your question without making a stupid thread?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
How about you think about that question logically?

Is correcting mathematics or factually incorrect statements a personal attack?

Whoever you are arguing with and whatever it is about ... I'll bet you are the one that is wrong. Surely you could have figured out the answer to your question without making a stupid thread?

Well, I was banned from this forum for posting a trigonometric calculation.
I got the numbers from Flat-Earthers and the result of the calculation was that Earth cannot be flat.
When I asked via PM why is was banned, the reply was simply that my logic was wrong.
When I asked what exactly was wrong, I never got an answer.

Do you see why I am suspicious?

Anyways, I have found some even more interesting arguments and I just want to be sure that I get to post my calculations and that we can debate them without getting banned yet again.

So, to repeat my question: If I attack the logical and mathematical framework within which somebody reached his conclusion, will that count as a personal attack and/or insult within the rules of this forum? I would like to receive a Yes or No answer.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
Try figuring out how to post in the right forum - that might help your case.

Well, I was banned from this forum for posting a trigonometric calculation.
Now, Pinky, lying isn't very nice. You weren't banned for your "calculation", it was simply moved to AR where it belonged. We then had our discussion about why it was moved, and then you posted it again in the upper. Twice.

In general, correcting someone is not a personal attack, but how and why you do it could easily turn the tide. If you show yourself to be completely incapable of civil discourse, for example by posting something along the lines of:

Seriously???

Okay, for those among us who are hard of hearing, I will spell it out nice and clearly so you can smell what I meant:

or

I was in the other forum, but it was full of weirdos who believed in magic and claimed to be time-travellers.

or start a thread titled "What is the most mind-boggingly stupid proof for Flat Earth you have ever seen?"

You're likely to attract the ire of the moderators. If you can't behave like an adult, the Angry Ranting board is for you!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:54:37 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:12:15 PM »
Try figuring out how to post in the right forum - that might help your case.

Very well, then I would like to forewarn you about what I will do next.

I will make a series of 3 posts, concerning a host of mathematical and logical mistakes I have repeatedly seen made by Flat-Earthers, in this forum as well as on Youtube. I will post detailed explanations:
* How to make an experimental measurement and the mathematical reason why exactly an experimental measurement needs to be done in this way.
* How to statistically analyze a measurement and the mathematical reason why the zetetic method cannot be used to create a logical conclusion from data.
* How to test a logical conclusion for whether it even is a valid conclusion and how to calculate whether a conclusion is based in falsified data.

Which sub-forum do you suggest for that?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
Your "forewarning" is useless and won't help your case.

Your question is far too broad and open-ended to be meaningfully answered. A discussion forum thread should concern a single subject, so I can only surmise you're about to fail at basic netiquette.

The three bullet points you provided all sound like non-threads. You're not looking for a discussion, and it sounds like you're looking for a personal blog - there are many websites out there that provide that service.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
It clearly says concerns, sounds like he was concerned by peoples incorrect calculations, debate never works if speech if one side is censored, people are all searching for truth.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:27 AM »
I have noticed that several people on this forum post statements that are illogical and/or mathematically incorrect.

Am I allowed to correct them or will my attack on their logic be regarded as an attack on them as a person, respectively as an attack on the FE-community?

Pinky,

I invite you to correct any piece of logic or mathematics in any reply or post that I make. I want everything I write to be free of errors. If there is one, then I thank you in advance for drawing it to my attention.

If it helps, or matters, then I give you permission to be rude to me in doing so, if that will prevent criticism of me result in you being banned. I won’t take anything personal.

Fire away broheim.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior