Saddam Hussein

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:28 AM »
The Ant-Man movie will be the best of them all.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Surely.
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 04, 2014, 04:35:16 AM »

It's directed by Edgar Wright. His entire filmography (aside from one young college project) is Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It can't be bad.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 04, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »

It's directed by Edgar Wright. His entire filmography (aside from one young college project) is Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It can't be bad.

Based on that list I'd expect it to be somewhere between mediocre and terrible. I want to like Wright and Pegg and friends, as I do think they are talented, but none of them has managed to live up to the early promise they showed in Spaced.

« Reply #324 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Shaun of The Dead were good. Hot Fuzz and Worlds End were just remakes of the same film. Scott Pilgrim were good.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
Crudblud is just being a balkno.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
Crudblud is just being a balkno.
Crudblud is the balkno of movies.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #327 on: May 09, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »
moar superhero movies

I watched The Amazing Spider-Man.  It was pretty good, although I don't know why it was hyped as being the grittier, more realistic take on Spider-Man, given how silly it was (the crane scene at the climax was the utter worst).  It was interesting the way they kind of nerfed him in comparison to the Raimi movies.  I always thought that he was a bit too overpowered in those.  Anyway, part of the reason I wanted to watch this was because I heard that its sequel was hilariously awful, so I guess that one's next.

« Reply #328 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »
grittier, more realistic

Every sequel that ever gets made says that. Apart from Care Bears 2: Return to Cuddle Land.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2014, 12:10:23 AM »
Not a sequel, a reboot.

Also, the Bing product placement was hilarious.  Not quite as ridiculous as this, but still, pretty funny:

« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »
reboot

Sorry that's a trigger word please can a mod intervene I feel too upset

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
I heard that its sequel was hilariously awful, so I guess that one's next.

And so it was.  Probably the best thing I can say about it is that the effects were fantastic.  Apart from that, it's a mess, particularly the writing.  Peter and Gwen's on-off relationship is annoyingly repetitive, Electro's villainous motivation is extremely weak, Paul Giamatti has a terrible cameo, the Green Goblin has about five minutes of screentime (that's not an exaggeration), and the whole conspiracy subplot involving Peter's parents doesn't add anything to the story.  Oh yeah, and the last ten minutes or so where they try to set up their cinematic universe Marvel-style is just sad.  They really don't have the material for that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:27:40 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »
Watched The Wolf of Wallstreet. Sucked.

Sucked big time.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »

Sucked big time.

What didn't you like?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
I heard that its sequel was hilariously awful, so I guess that one's next.

And so it was.  Probably the best thing I can say about it is that the effects were fantastic.  Apart from that, it's a mess, particularly the writing.  Peter and Gwen's on-off relationship is annoyingly repetitive, Electro's villainous motivation is extremely weak,  Paul Giamatti has a terrible cameo, the Green Goblin has about five minutes of screentime (that's not an exaggeration), and the whole conspiracy subplot involving Peter's parents doesn't add anything to the story.  Oh yeah, and the last ten minutes or so where they try to set up their cinematic universe Marvel-style is just sad.  They really don't have the material for that.

It wasn't very good
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

Sucked big time.

What didn't you like?

The shear amount of debauchery was unnecessary. It's awkward having to sit through sex scenes that do absolutely nothing for the plot. I understand that those type of scenes established how fucked up Leonardo's character was, but I gathered that much without the ridiculous amount of nudity. It seemed like most of those scenes were thrown in for shock value.  Plus, there was no moral to the story at all. You figure he would be punished to some extent for his insane crimes, but no... he spends 12 months in what basically amounts to a summer camp, then gets out scott free. I guess the fact that I'm discussing it means the film did its job, but I still didn't enjoy watching it.

Wall Street and the sequel Money Never Sleeps did what this movie was trying to do, just 10x better.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
It's a dark comedy. I thought it was hilarious even though I wanted to be disgusted. And justice doesn't always work the way you want it to in real life.

Ghost of V

« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
It's a dark comedy. I thought it was hilarious even though I wanted to be disgusted. And justice doesn't always work the way you want it to in real life.

I'm aware of the genre, still doesn't make it a good film. Did you really find it hilarious? Your sense of humor obviously differs from mine. I thought it was superficial and trite, it relied on shock value for laughs which is just lazy, imo.  Dr. Strangelove is really the only good example of black comedy that actually does it right.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
I wouldn't call it shock value. The scene where he tries to drive on those ludes is really funny but not shocking. In fact I didn't think anything really seemed shocking. But I know you're easily offended by nudity and depictions of sex which is why you said you don't like Game of Thrones. And that's fine, just don't expect everyone to define it as shock value.

Ghost of V

« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
I wouldn't call it shock value. The scene where he tries to drive on those ludes is really funny but not shocking. In fact I didn't think anything really seemed shocking. But I know you're easily offended by nudity and depictions of sex which is why you said you don't like Game of Thrones. And that's fine, just don't expect everyone to define it as shock value.

Maybe it's a personal problem. I don't know. It is what it is.