« on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:10 AM »
prove me wrong. 

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: The earth is round
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:14:30 AM »
Certainly. I suggest you read the FAQ, linked in my signature. We have quite a bit of indisputable experimental evidence, including the Bedford Level Experiment, which I highly suggest learning about
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
You people could look at pictures of the earth on the internet.  We have seen it.  Don't be so dumb.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
You people could look at pictures of the earth on the internet.  We have seen it.  Don't be so dumb.

This is a picture of Tatooine from the internet.  It is not a real place, and yet photos of it are plentiful.  Don't be naive.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »

This is a picture of Tatooine from the internet.  It is not a real place, and yet photos of it are plentiful.  Don't be naive.
That isn't a photograph of Tatooine, it's a computer generated rendering of Tatooine.  No one is claiming that any planets outside of our solar system have been imaged in that level of detail, so please refrain from straw man arguments.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
It also looks fake.  Please try again. 

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
It also looks fake.  Please try again.
The point stands that photographs are not empirical evidence.  I'm afraid it is you who is going to have to try again.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
The point stands that photographs are not empirical evidence.
Then why are they used as evidence in criminal trials all the time?  Also, are you suggesting that only empirical evidence is valid evidence?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:06:21 PM by markjo »

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

That isn't a photograph of Tatooine, it's a computer generated rendering of Tatooine.  No one is claiming that any planets outside of our solar system have been imaged in that level of detail, so please refrain from straw man arguments.
Why did you follow us all here from theflatearthsociety.org?

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
He makes a valid point.  It is obviously fake, as it was never meant to be a realistic portrait of a planet. 

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
The point stands that photographs are not empirical evidence.
Then why are they used as evidence in criminal trials all the time?  Also, are you suggesting that only empirical evidence is valid evidence?
By definition, zeteticism relies upon empiral evidence, meaning evidence which is directly observed.  I'm not a lawyer and would prefer not to comment on the judicial system.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
markjo has a point.  Every picture is rejected unless it shows that the earth is flat.  This seems to be the modus operandi of the flat earth freaks. 

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
By definition, zeteticism relies upon empiral evidence, meaning evidence which is directly observed.
Who's definition of zeteticism are you referring to?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
markjo has a point.  Every picture is rejected unless it shows that the earth is flat.  This seems to be the modus operandi of the flat earth freaks.
My modus operandi is to learn by experiencing, by observing, and by doing.  If I were to ask you what you know about the earth and the cosmos - and let's be clear, I mean what you yourself actually know to be true, and not what you have been taught, or read, or otherwise chosen to believe - you'd find that the answer is surprisingly little. 

To paraphrase something a fellow member said a few years ago: Simply accepting a fact as someone else has given it to you is amazingly naive, and shows a disappointing lack of curiosity. 

We're all taught to believe the earth is round, and most of us accept this as fact, because we're all too lazy to figure out if it's actually true or not.

Here at the Flat Earth Society, we're interested in the pursuit of actual knowledge.  Ours is a much more noble cause than that of the Wikipedia historian, or Youtube cosmologist who seem to enjoy debating us so.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:49:03 PM by Tintagel »

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »
I am building a computer.  So, now I need to start from the beginning and I can't build upon other peoples research?  This is retarded. 

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »
I am building a computer.  So, now I need to start from the beginning and I can't build upon other peoples research?  This is retarded.
Your lack of sensitivity to the mentally handicapped is noted, and speaks volumes about your character.

You can certainly take other peoples' research into account, I always do, but in your rather illogical analogous example of building a computer, there isn't any guarantee at all that your experience with any individual part is going to be the same as the researcher's.  In the end, direct experience is all you have that gives you actual knowledge.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
Then, why did you imply that I must do all of the research on my own?  Why can I not just use the information that is available? 

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Then, why did you imply that I must do all of the research on my own?  Why can I not just use the information that is available?
Well, aside from the fact that you seem to have reading comprehension difficulties, as stated before - you CAN, but with the knowledge that said research may or may not be accurate.  What you choose is up to you, but your experience may be entirely different.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
I don't need to do research in order to build an electrical circuit.  Why?  Because people have been making electrical circuits for hundreds of years, and I can learn from them, unlike you zetetics. 

Thork

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
I don't need to do research in order to build an electrical circuit.  Why?  Because people have been making electrical circuits for hundreds of years, and I can learn from them, unlike you zetetics. 
No, a Zetetic will build the circuit and go "Oh, that works, nice". A Zetetic won't say "Other people claim to have walked on the moon so it must be true".