Offline jimster

• View Profile
Where is the sun in daytime?
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:40 PM »
When it is noon in Greenwich UK, the sun appears directly overhead, a little to the south. At that same time in Kolkata India, the sun is setting and appears to be on the surface to the west. In Chicago USA, it is sunrise and the sun appears to be on the surface to the east.

Plot this out on the map in the FAQ, and from Kolkata, the sun appears to be on the surface in Africa. From Chicago, it appears to be on the surface of South America. From Greenwich, it appears to be high overhead.

How do we figure out where the sun is at noon in Greenwich?
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Re: Where is the sun in daytime?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
With some more investigation you'll find that on 20th March this year, the spring equinox, the sun can be seen setting due west over the Indian Ocean from Padang, the capital of West Sumatra, Indonesia. At the exact same time the sun is to be seen from Quito, capital of Ecuador, rising due east. Each of these places is within 60 miles north or south of the equator.

If you plot these directions on any of the speculative FE maps – there's a selection in the wiki – you'll struggle to explain how the sun is also simultaneously seen almost directly overhead in Libreville, capital of Gabon, also within 60 miles of the equator. However, these are speculative maps and you should also consider the Bi-Polar model, also in the wiki, and its suggested route of the sun on the equinox. This may help explain why you're not getting an FE answer to your map questions generally.
Once again - you assume that the centre of the video is the centre of the camera's frame. We know that this isn't the case.

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 09:50:07 PM »
It is clear from all FE maps that the sun is not where it appears to be for most people. I gave an example. At every place on earth it appears to be on the surface at sundown and sunrise.

What I am asking for is how one figures out where the sun really is.

If they had a good answer, would they reply? Maybe not, but seems like they would.

I'm going with they wish to avoid the topic because there is no good answer because the earth is round.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:20:07 AM »
I doubt many people will pick you up on this subject, because it presupposes RET. We generally ignore subjects that boil down to "if the Earth is flat then why is it round?"

Playground taunts like "hnyeeeh, they won't reply because of how right I am" certainly don't inspire confidence, either. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your reasons for posting here?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume