Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Why do the sun and moon appear to be the same size in RET?
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »
Here is a new one. During a Solar Eclipse the body of the moon perfectly covers the sun. It is remarkable. They are the same size. Is it just some kind of astonishing coincidence that a body over four million times larger than the moon happens to be located at just the right spot that the sun and moon are identical in size, each with a diameter of 0.5 degrees of the sky?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:09:31 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Why do the sun and moon appear to be the same size in RET?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
Nope, it's not always perfect:
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
What is that, like a 5% difference in size? I took the width of the sun (515px) and compared it to the width of the moon (482px). Plugging those values into this calculator tells me that the difference in size is 6.6199% difference.

It still seems like an odd coincidence that both the sun and moon are both 0.5 degrees in the sky, give or take 0.0066 degrees in some situations.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:06:20 PM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
Yes, coincidence is the best answer Round Earth Scientists can come up with. The sun is 400 times the size of the moon and 400 times further away ... apparently.

Quote from: http://www.evidencetoconsider.com/astronomical/the-solar-eclipse-odds
Thus the solar eclipse is against the odds in any solar system.

You can read the full article here

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »
What is that, like a 5% difference in size? I took the width of the sun (515px) and compared it to the width of the moon (482px). Plugging those values into this calculator tells me that the difference in size is 6.6199% difference.

It still seems like an odd coincidence that both the sun are both 0.5 degrees in the sky, give or take 0.0066 degrees in some situations.

Yeah, and?

To quote Richard Feynman:

“You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight... I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!"

Yes it is not likely, but that does not make it untrue, nor is it evidence of anything.  More of a doubt that can be used as a springboard for productive investigation.

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Yes, coincidence is the best answer Round Earth Scientists can come up with. The sun is 400 times the size of the moon and 400 times further away ... apparently.

Quote from: http://www.evidencetoconsider.com/astronomical/the-solar-eclipse-odds

Well, considering all the other ways they have measured the size and distance of the sun and moon, what other explanation could you propose in RET to explain it?  God?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

Well, considering all the other ways they have measured the size and distance of the sun and moon, what other explanation could you propose in RET to explain it?  God?
That the earth is flat and their model is wrong.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »

As far as I know RET has been claiming that the sun is over a million times larger than the earth, and that the earth is over four times larger than the moon, which is why I said the sun is over 4 million times larger than the moon in the OP. I don't know where they got about "400 times the size" from.

But they are right, it is a cosmic coincidence!

It still seems like an odd coincidence that both the sun are both 0.5 degrees in the sky, give or take 0.0066 degrees in some situations.

Yeah, and?

To quote Richard Feynman:

“You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight... I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!"

Yes it is not likely, but that does not make it untrue, nor is it evidence of anything.  More of a doubt that can be used as a springboard for productive investigation.

It would be a coincidence if he happened to come across two plates that were sequential to each other. That the sun is 0.5 degrees all by itself is not a coincidence. But that both the sun and the moon, the two most important bodies in the earth's sky are nearly exactly the same size in the sky with such great distances and sizes involved, is astonishing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:53:21 PM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

As far as I know RET has been claiming that the sun is over a million times larger than the earth, and that the earth is over four times larger than the moon, which is why I said the sun is over 4 million times larger than the moon in the OP. I don't know where they got about "400 times the size" from.

But they are right, it is a cosmic coincidence!

I think that is the difference between the area of the sun and the volume of the sun. The latter being cubed, the former being squared.

But anyhow, the odds are so small it is laughable to cry coincidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
But anyhow, the odds are so small it is laughable to cry coincidence.

Based on all measures, this is the situation they are left in, so what should they cry instead?

It would be a coincidence if he happened to come across two plates that were sequential to each other. That the sun is 0.5 degrees all by itself is not a coincidence. But that both the sun and the moon, the two most important bodies in the earth's sky are nearly exactly the same size in the sky with such great distances and sizes involved, is astonishing.

I agree.  This has nothing to do with whether it is true or not.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »

You're making the sophomoric mistake of confusing the usages of "size", mass and diameter. See: http://planetfacts.org/how-big-is-the-sun-compared-to-the-earth/
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »

You're making the sophomoric mistake of confusing the usages of "size", mass and diameter. See: http://planetfacts.org/how-big-is-the-sun-compared-to-the-earth/

Your link agrees with me that the sun is over a million times larger than the earth. I don't see what the confusion is. Typically if someone were talking about diameter, mass or surface area, that would specified. That is not what is typically meant my larger. In a comparing of size, the sun in RET is millions of times larger than the moon.

The source in Thork's link may have been talking about diameter.

Sun's Diameter 1,391,684 km / Moon's Diameter 3,474.8 km = 400.5

400.5 moons laid side to side in a straight line can make up the diameter of the sun, but I wouldn't use that in a sentence to say that the sun was 400 times larger than the moon. The author of the link is clearly incorrect in their wording.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:03:46 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
Does FET have a better answer?

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »

A better answer is that the moon and sun appear to be the same size because they are the same size.

It also makes sense to have a universe with kinds of bodies that are the same sizes. Not wildly different sizes, where one star can be thousands or millions of times bigger than another.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:01:15 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »
It also makes sense to have a universe with kinds of bodies that are the same sizes. Not wildly different sizes, where one star can be thousands or millions of times bigger than another.

Ehhh.... Not really. Makes sense to you maybe, but what physical principle are proposing that favors this kind of extreme homogeneity?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »

A better answer is that the moon and sun appear to be the same size because they are the same size.
Except that having the sun and moon the same size would make eclipses much more problematic (especially annular eclipses).

Just about everything in nature comes in various sizes.  Why should celestial bodies be any different?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 03:03:11 AM »

Ehhh.... Not really. Makes sense to you maybe, but what physical principle are proposing that favors this kind of extreme homogeneity?

All of them.

Just about everything in nature comes in various sizes.  Why should celestial bodies be any different?

Actually, everything does not come in various sizes. Do the atoms of the ocean come in various sizes? Have you ever seen a pebble as big as a boulder? Ever seen an elephant as small as a mouse, or a volcano as big as an ant hill?

I could go on, but you get my drift.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:05:35 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 03:26:23 AM »
All of them.

Oh great. Can you explain how entropy favors this?  Why is the Earth so much bigger than the sun and moon in FET?

Actually, everything does not come in various sizes. Do the atoms of the ocean come in various sizes? Have you ever seen a pebble as big as a boulder? Ever seen an elephant as small as a mouse, or a volcano as big as an ant hill?

Let's go one more... Have you ever seen a sun the same size as a moon?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 05:05:45 AM »
Actually, everything does not come in various sizes. Do the atoms of the ocean come in various sizes?
Are you suggesting that hydrogen atoms are the same size as oxygen atoms? 

Have you ever seen a pebble as big as a boulder?
"Pebble" and "boulder" are names for the relative sizes of rocks, not rocks themselves.

Ever seen an elephant as small as a mouse...
I would contend that mouse embryos and elephant embryos start out about the same size.

...or a volcano as big as an ant hill?
Well, you seem to be pretty good at making mountains out of a mole hills.

Yes, I get that you completely miss my point.  Mice and elephants are mammals that are vastly different in size.  Pebbles and boulders are rocks that are vastly different in size.