Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (cast list released!)
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
Kyle Katarn should stay canon. He's badass.
The Mastery.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
IV wasn't crap. What's wrong with you?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
IV - Good
IV wasn't crap. What's wrong with you?
What's wrong with you, Vindictus?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
Why don't people like VI? Is it the Ewoks?
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
>III
>better than VI

excuse me

Eddy Baby

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
Whatever they make, it will never top Episode I. That was perfection.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
I recall VI was sillier and cheesier than its predecessors, but I think it was a fitting conclusion overall.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
>III
>better than VI

excuse me

That seems to be a pretty solid consensus, even (surprisingly) among critics.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
VI was my favourite out of the three when I was a kid because Luke kicked a bunch of ass in it, and V was my least favourite because I thought it was too depressive and Luke was kind of a whimp in it and got his ass kicked.
After having seen the films as an adult, this is obviously no longer the case, but I still don't think VI is any worse than the other two.
The Mastery.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
How can you watch Episode III without cutting your own nipples off

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
>III
>better than VI

excuse me

That seems to be a pretty solid consensus, even (surprisingly) among critics.

Fortunately it is possible for them to be wrong.  With the possible tonal gaff of the ewoks (jury is out, since I loved them when I saw it in the theatre at age 5), Return of the Jedi is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.

Oh, and there isn't...

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
Why do adults hate ewoks? Are people racist against teddy bears? God forbid anything be cute in a galaxy far, far, away. I always thought wookies were more annoying personally.

But regardless, I think the originals are way better than any of the newer movies. There was more moral ambiquity. The whole good vs evil theme is what bothers me about Star Wars. If you have any Jedi abilities than you have to choose to be a monk or evil.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
Why do adults hate ewoks? Are people racist against teddy bears? God forbid anything be cute in a galaxy far, far, away. I always thought wookies were more annoying personally.

But regardless, I think the originals are way better than any of the newer movies. There was more moral ambiquity. The whole good vs evil theme is what bothers me about Star Wars. If you have any Jedi abilities than you have to choose to be a monk or evil.

My problem with the ewoks stem from two points:
1. They couldn't have evolved that way.
2. They took out the Empire's best.

1. The ewoks are short, black eyed creatures with limited range of motion and lots of fur.  Never mind walking in a forest is a pain, they'd never catch wild animals on their own.  So they are likely plant eaters BUT they seem to find the main heroes to look like tasty food.  Plus they live in high trees.  How do they climb?!  Their arms aren't long enough for climbing nor are the trees small enough.  They lack jumping abilities to move between trees.  And even if they're basically evolved teddy bears, why the hell would they live in trees?  What natural predators do they need to avoid?  The design of the Ewoks were poorly thought out.

2. First off let's ask ourselves a few questions. 1. How do ewoks lift logs that high into the air?  2. How he hell is a metal walking machine of death weaker than two logs?  Or get pushed by rocks being dropped?  They don't.  The ewoks were the winners because they were cute and worked with the good guys.  On any normal fight, they'd have been slaughtered.  Yes, I realize that somehow taking the enemy's walking tank made them win.  After all, the walkers seemed to only be able to take a few shots before exploding.  Yet the walkers in TESB were god damn immune to blasters. 
And let's not forget: Rocks > Armor.  Why do these troopers even bother wearing armor?  It can't stop their most common weapon, the blaster, and it's useless against GOD DAMN ROCKS!  Riot Shields are better than storm trooper armor.

/end rant
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
But Dave, God made them that way!!!!!!

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »
The Ewoks were stupid, but VI is still far superior to the prequels.

Rama Set

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
RotJ also has the best light saber duel.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »

My problem with the ewoks stem from two points:
1. They couldn't have evolved that way.
2. They took out the Empire's best.

1. The ewoks are short, black eyed creatures with limited range of motion and lots of fur.  Never mind walking in a forest is a pain, they'd never catch wild animals on their own.  So they are likely plant eaters BUT they seem to find the main heroes to look like tasty food.  Plus they live in high trees.  How do they climb?!  Their arms aren't long enough for climbing nor are the trees small enough.  They lack jumping abilities to move between trees.  And even if they're basically evolved teddy bears, why the hell would they live in trees?  What natural predators do they need to avoid?  The design of the Ewoks were poorly thought out.

You are obviously not familiar with so many improbable forest creatures. They're likely omnivores. Maybe their civilization is a remnant from other creatures that died out - you don't know that moon's history! Are you aware of all the creatures on Endor? Maybe there are natural predators.

2. First off let's ask ourselves a few questions. 1. How do ewoks lift logs that high into the air?  2. How he hell is a metal walking machine of death weaker than two logs?  Or get pushed by rocks being dropped?  They don't.  The ewoks were the winners because they were cute and worked with the good guys.  On any normal fight, they'd have been slaughtered.  Yes, I realize that somehow taking the enemy's walking tank made them win.  After all, the walkers seemed to only be able to take a few shots before exploding.  Yet the walkers in TESB were god damn immune to blasters. 
And let's not forget: Rocks > Armor.  Why do these troopers even bother wearing armor?  It can't stop their most common weapon, the blaster, and it's useless against GOD DAMN ROCKS!  Riot Shields are better than storm trooper armor.
Why couldn't someone help them with the logs? Or hell, why couldn't they have used their own brains? They can clearly use simple machines - so let's not turn this into a "how could the Egyptians possibly have built the pyramids?" kind of discussion. Ewoks have brains and civilization, you shouldn't doubt what they're capable of. It's not like humans have the brute strength to lift giant slabs of stone either but we did it somehow.  For rocks and logs it's more about momentum than their material. Maybe Endor trees and rocks are heavier.

And yes, it's totally possible for something to evolve that way. Look at koala bears and wombats, now give them a bigger frontal lobe. Maybe Ewoks were supposed to look more like those animals but they didn't have the budget to make all these little puppets with a lot of screen time.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »
There will be an ewok Jedi knight in the next film.

I feel it in my bones.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
Ewoks should build their homes even higher up in the trees to protect them better against Goraxes.
Goraxes are canon, r-right..?
The Mastery.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
Why couldn't someone help them with the logs? Or hell, why couldn't they have used their own brains? They can clearly use simple machines - so let's not turn this into a "how could the Egyptians possibly have built the pyramids?" kind of discussion. Ewoks have brains and civilization, you shouldn't doubt what they're capable of. It's not like humans have the brute strength to lift giant slabs of stone either but we did it somehow.  For rocks and logs it's more about momentum than their material. Maybe Endor trees and rocks are heavier.

Forget the dumb traps. They wreck the Imperials before losing. It was silliness that makes the Imperials seem impotent.