Offline OrigamiBoy

• more like fat earther amiright
    • View Profile
Quick questions and maybe an addition to the wiki.
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
Hey, I have seen this questions asked a few times, but not officially answered. I also could not find a sufficient answer to it on the wiki.

Why can we see the moon during the day but not the sun during the night?

The best answer for this on the wiki is spotlight lighting, but you should still be able to see it during the night.
Also, How would spotlight lighting even work? In the wiki, they compared it to a lighthouse. A good comparison, however, the sun isn't a lighthouse :/. It transmits light energy throughout its entire surface area, it cannot pick and choose where it wants to transmit light.

After answering this common question it would be nice if the wiki could be updated and add a section for it under the sun or the moon.

Thanks  :)
These are very desperate people - trying SO hard to maintain this one theory that they are prepared to shut their minds to the hundreds of crazy things they have to say to defend it.

devils advocate

Re: Quick questions and maybe an addition to the wiki.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
But if the spotlight points down how could it light up the moon without itself being visible?! This makes no sense. If the sun and moon are on the same plane the idea that one could light the other whilst remaining invisible itself defies logic.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
The effect of the light upon the earth is a "spotlight", but the sun is not unidirectional. Read Earth Not a Globe.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
The effect of the light upon the earth is a "spotlight", but the sun is not unidirectional. Read Earth Not a Globe.
Please provide evidence from recent observations and measurements.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »

I believe Tom already referred you to Earth Not a Globe. I’d suggest starting there and then asking Tom if you need further clarification based on what’s been published.

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »

I believe Tom already referred you to Earth Not a Globe. I’d suggest starting there and then asking Tom if you need further clarification based on what’s been published.

Surely the answer can be paraphrased by someone who has read the book. After all I see lots of similar requests when large chunks of evidence are presented and only a specific question needs answering. Tom himself refuses to even note whether the data provided by timeanddate matches the sunrises he observes. Time is short, why not just give an answer?

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »

I am specifically asking for recent observations and measurements.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »

I’m happy for you. It has nothing to do with his reply. Try staying on topic. Warned.

Offline OrigamiBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
I'm willing to read the book a little, but can we at least have a chapter #?
These are very desperate people - trying SO hard to maintain this one theory that they are prepared to shut their minds to the hundreds of crazy things they have to say to defend it.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
Tom, I find nothing in ENaG to support your “spotlight” contention.  It’s all about perspective with Rowbotham.  In fact, he spends a lot of ink trying to show how a sun acting NOT like a spotlight can nevertheless appear to rise and set.  If you know where he proposes a spotlight type effect, please tell us where to find it.

I’m happy for you. It has nothing to do with his reply. Try staying on topic. Warned.
Junker, I look forward to seeing you issue similar warnings to Tom when he posts with demands for evidence without otherwise contributing to the topic under discussion.  You might start with this thread, wherein no fewer than four posts from Tom consist solely of demands for evidence.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Tom, I find nothing in ENaG to support your “spotlight” contention.  It’s all about perspective with Rowbotham.  In fact, he spends a lot of ink trying to show how a sun acting NOT like a spotlight can nevertheless appear to rise and set.  If you know where he proposes a spotlight type effect, please tell us where to find it.

Did you even read my comment?

Offline OrigamiBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »

Did you even read my comment?

He did

And he read through the part of the book like you said... not sure what you're trying to say here...

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »
It is the effect of the light upon the earth that is the "spotlight". Spotlight refers to the area of light that is limited in duration and extent, not the sun or its direction of light.

Offline OrigamiBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »
It is the effect of the light upon the earth that is the "spotlight". Spotlight refers to the area of light that is limited in duration and extent, not the sun or its direction of light.

So why can't we see the sun during the night but then we can see the moon during the day.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »

So why can't we see the sun during the night but then we can see the moon during the day.
Same reason as RE. They move around at different speeds, and the sun is brighter than the moon and defines night and day.

Offline OrigamiBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »

Same reason as RE. They move around at different speeds, and the sun is brighter than the moon and defines night and day.

That does not answer the question, in the FE module, there is nothing obstructing the sun during the night, in the RE module the entire earth is blocking the sun, in FE you should be able to see the sun AND the moon anywhere in the world.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »

That does not answer the question, in the FE module, there is nothing obstructing the sun during the night, in the RE module the entire earth is blocking the sun, in FE you should be able to see the sun AND the moon anywhere in the world.
You asked why we can sometimes see the moon during the day, but never the sun at night. The answer to that is because they move at different rates. If you meant to ask why can't we see the sun/moon all the time, you should have asked that. Depends some on the model, but generally the given reason is because perspective operates differently at long distances because FE needs it to in order to function.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 05:16:05 AM »
Perspective is repeatedly invoked as though it were something magic. But it is not magic. It is simply a geometric calculation of the angle of view. Nothing more, nothing less. The apparent size of everything can easily be calculated with basic geometry and trigonometry. We have to stop pretending like there is anything at all magic about perspective.

This post I made several days ago shows a great example of perspective, if that's what you want to call it, at 444 km. Maybe it's no wonder nobody answered it. It is pretty hefty evidence with a lot of potential implications. And it comes from a relatively low technology and traditional field of expertise.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:24:07 AM by Tom Haws »
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

If the Sun is not unidirectional then the assumption would be that it is omnidirectional. Your second quote is also misleading as a 'Spotlight' is not limited in duration and extent, it is a focused light specifically lighting up a selected area and does not emit light in other directions. There are many almost identical dictionary definitions of a spotlight, here is one: Spotlight definition, a strong, focused light thrown upon a particular spot, as on a small area of a stage or in a television studio, for making some object, person, or group especially conspicuous.

Roger

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

If the Sun is not unidirectional then the assumption would be that it is omnidirectional. Your second quote is also misleading as a 'Spotlight' is not limited in duration and extent, it is a focused light specifically lighting up a selected area and does not emit light in other directions. There are many almost identical dictionary definitions of a spotlight, here is one: Spotlight definition, a strong, focused light thrown upon a particular spot, as on a small area of a stage or in a television studio, for making some object, person, or group especially conspicuous.

Roger

Correct. It is an omnidirectional light which creates a spot-of-light upon the earth.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/spotlight_1

spotlight - definition and synonyms
NOUN [COUNTABLE]  /ˈspɑtˌlaɪt/

1 a powerful light that shines on a small area, for example in a theater