Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: I'm looking for a volunteer, a true flat earth believer.
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
If you're going to do a test like this - you have to have pre-agreed conditions for success.

For example - if you send an FE'er up in a balloon - show that the earth appears to be round - then it's no use them coming back afterwards and saying "They made me wear this helmet and goggles 'to protect my eyes' - and it distorted the image"....or...."Sure, it *LOOKED* round - but that was just atmospheric refraction/electromagnetic warping...whatever".

That would be a very bad result indeed - money flushed down the toilet for zero purpose.

For this to be worth paying money for - it has to be an experiment - with a conclusion that both sides can agree on.

"We the FE and RE community agree that if we do this - and THAT happens, then the world must be flat - and if we do it but THIS happens - then the world must be round."

...this needs to be a DETAILED set of requirements and analyses...signed in blood by both groups of experimenters.

So if helmets and googles have to be worn - or if you are inside the curved window of a Russian MiG 15...then this has to be rather carefully thought though - because any suggestion of distortion and all bets are off (either way, actually).

Before you go off getting recruits and starting crowd-funding - you absolutely have to get solid agreement on what the experiment is - and what the results will mean.

Personally, I think there are MUCH cheaper ways.

Here is a way that would cost NOTHING but a few people's time:

1) Have a paired group of RE'ers and FE'ers who live in widely separated locations around the world get together on a Skype/Google/whatever video chat - and at some pre-arranged time.

2) At an agreed time, everyone goes outside and looks up at the sky and carefully notes what they see...I'm thinking the moon and the stars close to it would be a good test.

3) Each pair of one RE and one FE person will agree on what they are seeing at their location and make careful notes of specific features and come back to Skype to report back so everyone can be assured that the observations were pretty much simultaneous - and at what latitude/longitude they were measured.

4) We do this at several different times of day/night and at as many locations in the world as we can - then we take the results and apply the "Zetetic method" to the results to DEDUCE the shape of the Earth from it.

("The zetetic method differs from the usual scientific method in that in using it, one bases conclusions on experimentation and observation rather than on an initial theory that is to be proved or disproved. A scientist following the zetetic method formulates the question then immediately sets to work making observations and performing experiments to answer that question, rather than speculating on what the answer might be before testing it out.")

Since we'll be using zetetics - the question is "What shape is the Earth?" - and both RE'ers and FE'ers have to go without prior assumptions about the shape of the earth...both sides need open minds...who knows - maybe the Earth is a donut?  Maybe the results are ambiguous.

Due to weather conditions and other issues - this might take a while to get perfectly correct simultaneous observations - but the more pairs of RE and FE people who could join in - the better the results will be.

There are other kinds of experiments we could choose - but things that we can all observe and agree upon with naked eye observations at low-low cost.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?