Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Help wanted to make this place better
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
In light of the recent botched migration of .org to a new server, and the fact that several people have expressed interest in moving somewhere else, I'd like to make this place better for all FESians. If you're willing and able to help with general improvements, please post in this thread.

I have some ideas myself for how to make things better, but they're mostly behind-the-scenes stuff that makes it easier for me to maintain the site, and they're not a very high priority.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14:35 PM by pizaaplanet »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to make this place better
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »
In light of the database fuckup, I'd like to run my werewolf game here instead.

My hope is that it'll get people to register here.  Thoughts?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
Guys, I'm in. but we are going to have to bring a few things with us.

The first. My rage smiley. its mine and I love it.  :'( These smileys suck - you know we could shop for some cooler ones.
Second. We can't have the exact same theme. that's super seriously stupid. Gonna put this out there but I made a perfectly good theme that never got finished. All it needs is some smart person to sort out the avatar sizes in your top right box. Have a look. I don't think its that ugly, its different anyway and ok until one of our super talented admins comes up with something better.
Third. Lets steal our fucking wiki back. we wrote it and its the only thing that ranks on the other site anyway.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:13:06 PM by Thork »

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
Oh, I should ask, what can I do to help you?

you know, apart from posting here?

I really think we should just be building for a relaunch and some announcement in the press about how the society has elected a new president.

If you want something, let me know.

Custom smileys, some thread starters, an FAQ ... I'll help wherever I can. If we cuild it, they will come.

Also having all the same sections as FES is a bit silly. Lets look to do something smarter.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

Please add youtube support.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
Hi, just wondering, is .tk possible? I know it's generally considered the free one, but I think it looks nicer.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
The first. My rage smiley. its mine and I love it.  :'( These smileys suck - you know we could shop for some cooler ones.

PizzaPlanet is handling this.

Second. We can't have the exact same theme. that's super seriously stupid. Gonna put this out there but I made a perfectly good theme that never got finished. All it needs is some smart person to sort out the avatar sizes in your top right box. Have a look. I don't think its that ugly, its different anyway and ok until one of our super talented admins comes up with something better.

I'm trying to make people feel at home. They've just had a month of posts yanked out from under them at .org; I don't want to make any huge radical changes that might put people off.

Once we're settled in, we can consider other theme options.

Third. Lets steal our fucking wiki back. we wrote it and its the only thing that ranks on the other site anyway.

It's underway, don't you worry.

Oh, I should ask, what can I do to help you?

A new FAQ would be lovely, and maybe even some forum rules that don't suck. I reserve the right to veto any rule that gets written, but if you could draft up a set of them, that would be very helpful. Just as long as we can call each other niggers afterwards.

I really think we should just be building for a relaunch and some announcement in the press about how the society has elected a new president.

I don't quite share that goal. I just want to make this forum the best possible place for people to talk about FET. If we start vying for political power in the Flat Earth Society, we're going to have a much tougher time of it.

Let's see how the forum goes before we try anything too drastic.

Also having all the same sections as FES is a bit silly. Lets look to do something smarter.

We don't have all the same sections. I got rid of FEB.

Please add youtube support.

All in good time. Please create a thread about things like this in S&C; just posting here is likely to go forgotten.

Hi, just wondering, is .tk possible? I know it's generally considered the free one, but I think it looks nicer.

If somebody registers a .tk domain name, we can use it for this site. Personally, I'm not too fussed about the domain.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
In light of the database fuckup, I'd like to run my werewolf game here instead.

My hope is that it'll get people to register here.  Thoughts?

Sorry, I missed this before. I think that's a great idea; feel free to go ahead.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
as I read FES.org has had 131 posts made today. I has also had 323 spam bot accounts created today because someone has removed the site's protection. ::)
Its crawling in bots.

This site has 260 posts today so far. A 2:1 win for the new site with 27 accounts created, all genuine.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:37 PM »
as I read FES.org has had 131 posts made today. I has also had 323 spam bot accounts created today because someone has removed the site's protection. ::)
Its crawling in bots.

This site has 260 posts today so far. A 2:1 win for the new site with 27 accounts created, all genuine.

The site also randomly switches you from the old .org server to the new .org server.  So basically there are 2 groups of posters simultaneously posting on the site and separate of each other. 
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
Its crawling in bots.

The site also randomly switches you from the old .org server to the new .org server.  So basically there are 2 groups of posters simultaneously posting on the site and separate of each other. 
I can't log into it so I wouldn't know. :(

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »
I need fast reply! ;o;

Also, anything I can do? I'd love to finally be able to help around here. :]
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
Fast reply?  That exists here.  I've been using it the whole time.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Thork

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:31 PM »
I need fast reply! ;o;
go to profile - modify profile- look and layout

second from bottom is "Use quick reply on topic display:" - Change that to show on by default.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
I'm happy to help, but my skills are pretty limited.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
I need fast reply! ;o;
go to profile - modify profile- look and layout

second from bottom is "Use quick reply on topic display:" - Change that to show on by default.

Yep, thanks! I stupided and got all confused since I thought it was a default option. Everything is all well and good now. :D
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
Holy crap, quick reply is the most useful thing ever.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 12:16:59 AM »
Holy crap, quick reply is the most useful thing ever.
You are such a hopeless noob.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 12:21:54 AM »
Wtf.  Quick reply was default for me.  It wasn't default for you guys?

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:29 AM »
Wtf.  Quick reply was default for me.  It wasn't default for you guys?

It was there but it wasn't open by default. Now I'm part of the quick reply master race.