Rama Set

Router recommendation
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:17 AM »
Heya,

I just bought a wireless stereo system and went to plug it in to my router when I noticed it only has one Ethernet port. Looks like a need to get a new router if I want to have my internet network and this speaker system function simultaneously. Can anyone recommend a good off the shelf router preferably with great broadcast strength as my modem lives in our basement?

Ghost of V

Re: Router recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:22:13 AM »
This is the router Lord Dave recommended me a few months back when I asked a similar question. I bought it on his recommendation and have been using it since.

http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/EA3500

It's decent. My average speed is 20-25mbps DL speed with a 50mbps wired connection. It is by no means an industrial powerhouse, but it has worked much better than the one I had previously. It also has multiple Ethernet ports... 4 to be exact, and it has a USB port for other devices.

Rama Set

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
Thanks. I was just looking at the EA4500 which I might get since it only costs $10 more where I will buy it. I will read some reviews after I put the kid to bed.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
Don't use the Apple Airport Extremes. They are very expensive and have a great signal strength, but they crap out all the time and disconnect your wifi and need constant resetting. In short ... avoid apple solutions. they are crap.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Don't use the Apple Airport Extremes. They are very expensive and have a great signal strength, but they crap out all the time and disconnect your wifi and need constant resetting. In short ... avoid apple solutions. they are crap.

I currently have an airport express and it has been pretty reliable, I have had it for 6 years or so with no issues other than not receiving wifi reliably on he other side of my house.

I think I will go for the linksys ea3500 or 4500.

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »
Thanks Vauxhall and DDT for the help.