Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: On the notion of FES reunification
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »
Hi Daniel :D
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
I was holding back from posting in this thread initially because I felt my presence might be counterproductive.  That doesn't seem to be the case, though, so, here I am.  Hi.

Hi, and welcome!

It's late here now and most of tomorrow will be spent traveling home.  I'll check in again when I'm settled back in HK.  I'm sure we'll be able to hammer out something that's acceptable for both sides.

Sounds good, have a safe journey. As I previously stated, I want to wait at least 48 hours for people to have their say, of which there are now 24 remaining. After that point, hopefully we can iron out the details.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
I also agree with PP.

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
I also agree with PP also.

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »
I prefer this forum. I like the changes that were made at the type of people who post here.
My worry is that those who help a lot here would get side lined and the community built here will be diluted.
I do not see a need to merge back. Is this forum not good as it is? I do t think I'd like to converse with the bottom feeders that lurk the other site. At least the community here is a mature one (well as far as forums go) and is welcoming.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
Given as I post on both fora, and am easily recognisable from my nick, I shall agree with the above poster who said that you have all done a fine job in creating a forum here independent of the other one. At the same time, I recognise the value of having one united FES, which would do much to preserve the "image", if you will, of the society, in the eyes of the common public. Round Earther though I may be, it is not my desire to see any of you look like schmucks to the outside public. If you are going to seriously try to make yourselves into a true organisation rather than just an online debating group, then I do think that reunion with the other group is, if not essential, then at least extremely high on your list of things to do.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
I prefer this forum. I like the changes that were made at the type of people who post here.
My worry is that those who help a lot here would get side lined and the community built here will be diluted.
I do not see a need to merge back. Is this forum not good as it is? I do t think I'd like to converse with the bottom feeders that lurk the other site. At least the community here is a mature one (well as far as forums go) and is welcoming.

As I've stated before, the forum will continue to be run as this one is now. There would naturally be some merger of this forum community with the other one, but none of the people who post here will be forced to leave, and the administration here will remain.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »
It's been quite some time, and the overwhelming consensus seems to be a "yes" vote to reunification. I'll post a proper announcement in Announcements when I'm not on my phone, but just so you're aware, we'll be discussing the details with Daniel directly. As has always been the policy on this forum, the community will be consulted on any matters amounting to more than technical details.

Thork

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
Don't give away the family silver. Daniel needs us as much as we wish to be unified. We are perfectly capable of going it alone and being successful. That has to be the starting point of any debate.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
Don't give away the family silver. Daniel needs us as much as we wish to be unified. We are perfectly capable of going it alone and being successful. That has to be the starting point of any debate.
Wait....
The starting point of the "let's get back together" is " we don't need you?"

I think there's a flaw in your strategy.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
I don't see why we are initiating the conversation. We aren't the ones with a problem.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
As I recall, Wilmore initiated the conversation.  Most people here just happen to agree that it might have the potential to become a workable idea.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
Yes, but Daniel DIDN'T.

Lets not go crawling to Daniel because Wilmore happens to be reasonable. If Daniel wants to offer an olive branch that's very different from us going and asking for a solution.

If large factions of this site end up not happy with the terms and conditions, we simply won't go back.

As someone who straddle's both sites like a cold dark rain shadow pissing it down on anything you hover over, your opinion isn't really that important to me. Of course you want unification. You can rain your misery in one convenient place.

But as someone with the conviction to leave the old site and put my time into this site, the thought of going back to make it convenient for the likes of you isn't going to pique my interest.

tl;dr its hot, I'm going to the lake for a swim. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:20:53 PM by Thork »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Yes, but Daniel DIDN'T.

Lets not go crawling to Daniel because Wilmore happens to be reasonable.
Who's crawling anywhere?  It seems more like "testing the waters" to me.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
Then let Daniel test. He's the problem.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
Relax, Thork.  I'm sure that Parsifal and pizaaplanet aren't going to desperately begging Daniel to take us back.

Rama Set

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
It seems more like "testing the waters" to me.
That's exactly what it is.

If Daniel wants to offer an olive branch that's very different from us going and asking for a solution.
In hopefully reassuring news, Daniel reached out to us via PM on this site before any of us contacted him. He initiated the dialogue between us.

If large factions of this site end up not happy with the terms and conditions, we simply won't go back.
That is our position as well. We will not implement a solution that is not popular with a vast majority of the userbase. The way I see it, this general idea has gathered a lot of support and not that much dissent, so it could potentially work out. Once we have a more concrete policy sketched, we'll open it for comments, and if we reach a point where it doesn't seem like much more needs changing, we'll put it to a vote. That should hopefully address most concerns and stop any such large factions from forming.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
If Daniel wants to offer an olive branch that's very different from us going and asking for a solution.
In hopefully reassuring news, Daniel reached out to us via PM on this site before any of us contacted him. He initiated the dialogue between us.
Oh noes.  Secret negotiations.  :o

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Oh noes.  Secret negotiations.  :o
Daniel is paying us top dollar to screw all of you guys over.

On a more serious note, he didn't say anything more than what he said in public.