Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1960 on: December 29, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
He gave a good performance in his breakout role of Khal Drogo, which didn't involve much more than him looking intimidating. But really, though, a lot of the capeshitters in the DCEU are basically playing themselves in terms of personality. It worked out well for Gal Gadot, but not so much for Momoa, and definitely not for Ezra Miller.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #1961 on: December 29, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »
“Playing themselves” is one of the most overused criticisms. It implies you have a clue of what they are like irl and is just a pseudo-criticism.  Perhaps he just plays the roles similarly or has been directed to do so?

Khal Drogo is not really anything like Aquaman.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:06:33 PM by Rama Set »

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: December 30, 2018, 04:52:43 AM »
I've been watching The Man in the High Castle, it's ok.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: December 31, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »
“Playing themselves” is one of the most overused criticisms. It implies you have a clue of what they are like irl and is just a pseudo-criticism.  Perhaps he just plays the roles similarly or has been directed to do so?

Khal Drogo is not really anything like Aquaman.

It's not necessarily a criticism at all, just an observation, and we can often get an idea of a high-profile actor's general personality and demeanor from interviews and promotional material. And I agree that Khal Drogo is nothing like Aquaman. I was pointing that out as the exception, not the rule.

I've been watching The Man in the High Castle, it's ok.

It's boring as hell. I don't know how you make "Nazis won WWII and took over America" boring, but they managed it somehow.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 01, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »
Yeah it's very slow but it's been just barely good enough to keep me engaged through 2.5 seasons

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel (dir. Wes Anderson)

Eh... Didn't really get on with the fussy artificial aesthetic. Everything is designed like a patisserie shop window. The story is also breezily inconsequential. The performances are where the film shines. Ralph Fiennes is excellent, and appearances from F. Murray Abraham, Jeff Goldblum, Adrien Brody, and many others (most of them regular/semi-regular Anderson players) add richer colours to an otherwise aggressively superficial albeit expertly put-together production. I have enjoyed films by Anderson, such as The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, in the past. That film was also deliberately and fussily artificial in aesthetic, and it makes me wonder if my tastes/patiences have changed since then. Overall it's not bad, and certainly while it is on screen it is a pleasure to watch, but it becomes less appealing to me the more I think about it after the fact.

« Reply #1966 on: January 10, 2019, 01:09:23 AM »
Letterkenny (Hulu in US, Crave in Canada, don't know about lesser nations) is the best comedy out there.

If you haven't watched it yet, pitter patter let's get at 'er.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:41 AM »
Sneaky Pete season 1

Good and fun

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 22, 2019, 12:59:10 AM »
This, on the other hand, was both an absolute visual feast as well as an actual great piece of cinema. The comic-book-brought-to-life animation style worried me at first, but by the end I couldn't imagine it working so well any other way. This movie felt like it was made by die-hard Spider-Man fans, and is absolutely chock-full of easter eggs and references, but none of them in your face or blatant. I was worried the gimmick of multiple Spider-Folk would quickly wear thin, but they let the premise last exactly as long as it needs to and just as far as it's amusing. I'd probably, at least as I feel right now, rank this as my second-favourite Spider-Man movie, right behind the fantabulous Spider-Man 2.
I finally did a full listen of the soundtrack yesterday. It slaps.

In other news, I watched Aquaman a week or so ago. It wasn't very good.

totallackey

« Reply #1969 on: January 22, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
Episode 1 & 2 of The Punisher on Netflix.

Hope the pace picks up.

« Reply #1970 on: February 02, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Christopher Walken is incredible in all things.
My Favourite manga is gender bender manga and I'm actually reading gender bender manga on mangazuki. I think this is the best manga.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 26, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
Endgame. It has all the things. Some good, some less so. Ending ties it all together about how you'd imagine if you were following along the past decade. Slow starter, but definitely epic and an emotional rollercoaster.

Rama Set

« Reply #1972 on: May 01, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
Saw Endgame last night. Just like GOTs it had the unenviable task of weaving 10+ story arcs in to a single cohesive narrative. They did a pretty fantastic job. A guy ran from the theatre crying during the denouement which says something about the impact these characters have had on people over the past decade. Love the MCU, or think it’s generic pop-trash, making a 22 movie cycle has to be up there with some of the great achievements in cinema.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 01, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
It probably helps that Marvel has had a lot of years of experience in putting together large scale crossover story lines in the comics.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #1974 on: May 01, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
It probably helps that Marvel has had a lot of years of experience in putting together large scale crossover story lines in the comics.

They only really started that in the early 2000s, so its not a ton of time between say House of M and pre-production for Iron Man.  Its also a way different animal to manage when you have so many different creators to bring together and point in the same direction.  I think DC probably as much if not more experience in comic book crossovers, and look how that worked out.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 01, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
Dawg. Acts of Vengeance? Infinity Gauntlet? Secret Wars? The Onslaught Saga? Inferno? Siege of Darkness sorta? I won't deny they've done more since 2000 or so, but many of their largest and most sprawling were before them.

Anyway yeah Endgame was amazing and I cried three times during it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #1976 on: May 01, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »
Inferno and Onslaught were just their mutant titles, no? The other difference in the 2000s is they started feeding one event in to the next one. Avengers Disassembled in to House of M in to Civil War in to Secret Invasion, etc...

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 01, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »

Only 3?...

Rama Set

« Reply #1978 on: May 01, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »

Only 3?...

I was like the Hulk in The Avengers but for crying instead of being angry.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 01, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »
I didnt cry at all. Because I havent seen it yet.
BobLawBlah.