Re: Proving a Flat-Earth Using Round-Earth Maths
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »
I'm truly impressed w the way you responded to several trolls. To take issue w a 10' oversight in your post is utterly mind boggling. Trolls and other g-earthers don't seem too concerned about the 55' discrepancy from Toronto's platform line of sight...can one of them explain airline travel from east to west or viceversa since aircraft seem to arrive either direction about the same time???

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Proving a Flat-Earth Using Round-Earth Maths
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2016, 01:18:34 AM »
I'm truly impressed w the way you responded to several trolls. To take issue w a 10' oversight in your post is utterly mind boggling. Trolls and other g-earthers don't seem too concerned about the 55' discrepancy from Toronto's platform line of sight...can one of them explain airline travel from east to west or viceversa since aircraft seem to arrive either direction about the same time???
I fail to see any problem with "airline travel from east to west or vice-versa since aircraft seem to arrive either direction about the same time".

Aircraft fly in the air. The air generally moves with the earth (we do have winds in various directions).
So, apart from any local winds the aircraft is flying relative to the moving earth.

Actually at high altitudes there are the jet-streams, which are high speed (to 200 km/hr or so) winds blowing from west to east and caused by the earth's rotation (among other things).
As a result, many west to east flights are significantly faster than the corresponding east to west flights.
For example:
New York City, USA (all airports) to London, United Kingdom (all airports): 26+ flights per day, 6h 55m duration  compare with
London, United Kingdom (all airports) to New York City, USA (all airports): 27+ flights per day, 8h 15m duration.

Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles, USA (LAX): 5 flights per day, 12h 30m duration compare with
Los Angeles, USA (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG): 5 flights per day, 15h 35m duration

Sydney (SYD) to Santiago, Chile (SCL): 5 flights per week, 12h 20m duration  compare with
Santiago, Chile (SCL) to Sydney (SYD): 5 flights per week, 14h 10m duration.

Shall I go on? Yes, the rotating Globe explains things just fine, thank you.

By the way, you should note that the Hong Kong to Los Angeles flight is at roughly the same latitude north as the Sydney to Santiago, Chile flight is south.
The times are very similar, indicating that the distance from Hong Kong to Los Angeles (actually 11,640 km) is similar to the distance from Sydney to Santiago, Chile (actually 11,340 km),
which is in complete disagreement with the "Ice Wall Map".