31 (54.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: What Religion are you?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »
I understand this may be nit-picky, but "Atheist" isn't a religion. It's the lack of a religion, if anything.

A religion is a set of beliefs about reality. You don't have to believe in God to be religious. I think atheism entails a particular set of beliefs about reality and it therefore can be defined as a religion.

Religions have holy texts, and a system of belief. Atheism has none of that, it's just the lack of belief in a God.

The God Delusion and the belief that gods are the product of man's imagination.

Atheism still isn't a religion though.

There are atheists that have never heard of (or are incapable of reading) The God Delusion.

Is this the whole "even babies are atheists" schtick again? Because if it is, you are an idiot.

Babies aren't the only ones incapable of reading.

Okay well if your point with that remark was that atheism is a default position that's completely untrue. Atheism is the position that a specific God/Gods doesn't exist.

Uhh...atheism is literally just the position that there are no gods, in general. The word "atheist" literally means "not theist" (or something to that effect). Nothing to do with specific gods; it's a position that no gods in general exist.

I guess this would come down to how much you'd be willing to argue that "atheist" and "nontheist" are different, with atheist being an active position rather than a passive one.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
NB: replace "Muslim" with "Bomb".

Adolf Hipster

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »
Not all Muslims bomb America and other countries.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 01:00:05 AM »
I never said we were a race, Troll. I said we were an ethnic group. Different thing. Until you look up the sources I recommended, some five, I believe, you can't discuss the subject rationally. Then again, I forget, you are a Troll, so you can't discuss the subject rationally anyway.Or any other subject for that matter. When you have grown up, and become an adult (a senior in high school who spells like a third grader can hardly be called mature), then come talk to me. Until then, you are nothing more than an idiot. If Jews are not an ethnic group, then from whence comes the term "Semite", or "Semitic"?If they are not an ethnic group, how come they share DNA with each other that they don't share with you? And no, don't give me the so-called "Baptist DNA" argument. When you look up the sources, come talk to me. The best one is "Judaism as a Civilization" by Mordecai Kaplan, the seminal writer on the subject. The book is available at Barnes and Noble for about 30 dollars (at least that is where I got it). It explains, very well, how Jews are an ethnic group that follow a religion known as Judaism, which is indeed one of the major world religions. "Jewish" is not a religion. "Judaism" is a religion. See the difference, Troll?
Your only defense is calling me a troll you are truley pathetic and I spell just flippin fine. I am vary much mature and YOU are the idiot and I will tell you why and prove you wrong: semite is just a cimonym for Jewish; Jewish people always make a humongus deal over only marrying there own religion people (um...religionists much?) so they intermarry...just why do you think they share so much dna??! Moron. That doesnt prove anything so thus Jewish is only religion and not ethnic group. See it now troll?
The only reason I bother to respond to you is because it entertains me to see someone make such an ass of themselves in public. Continue, by all means, Troll.
No one who thinks im a troll could posibley be this emotionel to defend there view so im obz not a troll. You will forever be a moron
If Jews are not an ethnic group, how do you explain the existence of the Kingdom of Judah and the Kingdom of Israel, ie, the home of the Jews and the home of the Ten Northern Tribes? Benjamin was politically controlled by Judah, and the Levites were in both Kingdoms. How do you explain the existence of Israel today as the only Jewish State? Grow up, child, and when you have, come talk to me.
As for the kingdoms they were THEOCRACYS!!! The citizens were united under one religion and that religion was Jewish. And Israel is a crime agenst the Palestinans right to there homeland >o< Your the moron moron
Tell me about it
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

Q.What do you call a Muslim with a gun?

A.Moderate.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »

Q.What do you call a Muslim with a gun?

A.Moderate.
Its only true
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »
Well, that's entertaining, since "Palestinians" are Arabs, who didn't arrive in the Holy Land until the 600s of the Christian Era (that means AD, to you). So whose homeland is it now? Of course, "Palestinians" say they are the original inhabitants of the Land. If that is true, then they were dispossessed of the Land by the Hebrews in the Book of Exodus by order of God. So, they still don't belong there. And yes, the tendency we have of marrying each other only is why we share DNA. But that is why we are an ethnic group. See how that works?

Rama Set

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »
ITT: Religion makes good people do bad things.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »
I shall again, try to patiently explain. And no, I am not emotional at all, over this or any other subject. I consider myself a Stoic. I have been trained to take everything in and reply logically. Calling you a moron is logical. Anyone who insists on something that is not true is a moron. Anyone who cannot write in English that is recognisable to most people is a moron.

But, being a moron aside, let me explain again. Its like the Han Chinese, which make up 90% of the population of the People's Republic of China. They have a tendency to only marry themselves. That is why their ethnicity is largely untouched by others. There are 55 other ethnic groups in China, but they also tend to marry among themselves as well. Interestingly, since I brought the subject up, there is a city called Kaifeng, wherein there are about 200 Jewish families, who tend to marry only with each other. Thus, their DNA is separate from that of other Han, although they don't look much different.

Another example from China is the Hakka. They too, look like the Han of which they are part, but they also tend to stay with themselves. They share DNA with each other also. So tell me, O Brilliant One, if Jews are not an ethnic group, then how is it that the Chinese Jews share DNA with each other and with other Jews (me, for example) that they don't share with you? You say you are African American, because you are 1/32nd Black. I find that rather humourous, but lets go with that. If you are Black, then you share DNA with Black people that you don't share with me. See how that works?

I realise this basic concept is difficult for you. To be honest, it is not the easiest concept to grasp. But, with all the explaining I've done, I would think that by now you would have at least gotten a handle on it. Again, I refer you to Kaplan's excellent book on the subject. He wrote a lot of books, of which only one is relevant here. The rest tend to be theological.

The Kingdoms of Judah and Israel were headed by Kings who received their position by heredity. In Judah's case, the Kings were descended from David. If I were you, I would read my Bible before I opened my mouth and stuck my foot in it. Remember that David was of the Tribe of Judah, from Bethlehem. His children followed in the Kingship of all Israel, until the Ten Northern Tribes separated from the Southern Kingdom of Judah (see, there's that tribal name again). The Kingdom of Judah continued to be ruled by the descendants of David. The Northern Tribes called themselves Israel and were ruled by another family. On several occasions, revolutions occurred that put different men on the throne in Israel. Eventually, the Assyrians invaded Israel, and scattered the people.

Down in Judah, the kingship was steady, until the Babylonians conquered the Kingdom, and sent most of the Jews (people of the Tribe of Judah) into exile. When the Persians conquered Babylon, they allowed the Jews to return to Judah. There, they encountered people called Samaritans. These people were partly Israelite, and partly non-Israelite in descent. They wanted to rebuild the Temple with the Jews, but were refused, for two reasons. One, they were not ethnically pure like the Jews. They had mixed with other people. Two, their religion was not pure either, but was corrupted by non-Jewish beliefs.

There are still Samaritans in Israel today, some 700 of them. They worship, as they always have, on Mt. Gerizim. The Israeli State protects their religious freedom. They are, however, a different ethnic group than the Jews, although they share some of the same common descent (but not all of it; they have various other non-Israelite lineage too).

Well, all that having been said, there really isn't much more I can say. So far, you are the only person in here that refuses to see that Jews are an ethnic group. If they were not, how would non-Jews get the idea that we all have curly dark hair and large noses? This is not true, we all don't, but enough of us do to make it a stereotype. Stereotypes exist because there is a small amount of truth to them.

You see, its like saying that "All Black Americans are ghetto." Obviously that is not true. There are plenty of middle class, and even wealthy Blacks. But there are enough of the ghetto types to render the stereotype partially true.

The same can be said of us in reverse. "All Jews have money." Well, that is not true. If it were, I would not be a Jew, since I have very little money. But, enough of us do have money that the stereotype exists.

"All Black men are huge, giants with big muscles." "All Black women have big breasts and junk in the trunk." Neither of these statements is true. I almost married a Black woman (who was a Black Jew) who was tiny breasted (although she did have junk in the trunk, which I though was very sexy). And I have seen small, nerdy looking Black men. But enough of  both sexes have the common characteristics mentioned to create a stereotype. See how that works?

Well, I think I have said enough. There really isn't much more I can say. Repeating myself ad nauseam, ad infinitum, ad absurdam seems pointless. You either get it or you don't. If you get it, you are on board with the rest of the planet. If you don't, you are an idiot. Go around your neighbourhood sometime, and ask both Jews and Gentiles whether Jews are an ethnic group. Tell me the answers you receive. I would be curious to hear what people tell you.

Incidentally, a nation can be a theocracy and still be a kingdom. Saudi Arabia is such. On the other hand, Iran, which is also a theocratic state, is NOT a kingdom. See how that works?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:04:26 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2013, 06:37:05 AM »
inb4 he calls you a racist for using the term "black", instead of "African American".
Apparently he's got the idea that all black people are African American, whether they're American or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:39:15 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »
I am indifferent towards religion. There was a time when I called myself an atheist, but I have no interest in being lumped in with the Dawkins/Hitchens herd.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
Well, since both groups are Jews, to whom the Land belongs by Divine election & right, the question is irrelevant.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
Okay well if your point with that remark was that atheism is a default position that's completely untrue. Atheism is the position that a specific God/Gods doesn't exist.

I don't believe in any gods, nor do I claim to know that they don't exist. Put whichever label on me that you want.

I use 'atheist' but it really doen't matter.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
Well, that's entertaining, since "Palestinians" are Arabs, who didn't arrive in the Holy Land until the 600s of the Christian Era (that means AD, to you). So whose homeland is it now? Of course, "Palestinians" say they are the original inhabitants of the Land. If that is true, then they were dispossessed of the Land by the Hebrews in the Book of Exodus by order of God. So, they still don't belong there. And yes, the tendency we have of marrying each other only is why we share DNA. But that is why we are an ethnic group. See how that works?
Are you reley that ignorent? Palestinians are completeley seperete from Arabs! Sure they have intermarryed quite a bit but Palestinians are Palestinians. For Gosh sake they are the namesake of the land itself - PALESTINE!!!!!!! They are indeed the originel inhabitents of PALESTINE and may I care to mention that these Hebrews we speak of are JEWISH?!! Hebrews are another flippin name for Jewish people...and Jewish is a RELIGION!!! How many times must I explain it to you? Im not arguing who the homeland belongs to (though it belongs to he Palestinians) but that Jewish people are NOT an ethnic group. And that does not make you a legit ethnic group but rather a religious comunitey. You refuse to acept the evidance and your just making a biger fool of yourself. Quite sad actuley
ITT: Religion makes good people do bad things.
Shut up rama!!!
I shall again, try to patiently explain. And no, I am not emotional at all, over this or any other subject. I consider myself a Stoic. I have been trained to take everything in and reply logically. Calling you a moron is logical. Anyone who insists on something that is not true is a moron. Anyone who cannot write in English that is recognisable to most people is a moron.
You are a vary emotionel and the fact that you wrote so much just shows that you know deep down that im not a troll. Caling me a moron is not logicel and shows your uter stupititey. I am a champion of truth and if you cant read my handriting than your a biger moron than I thought
But, being a moron aside, let me explain again. Its like the Han Chinese, which make up 90% of the population of the People's Republic of China. They have a tendency to only marry themselves. That is why their ethnicity is largely untouched by others. There are 55 other ethnic groups in China, but they also tend to marry among themselves as well. Interestingly, since I brought the subject up, there is a city called Kaifeng, wherein there are about 200 Jewish families, who tend to marry only with each other. Thus, their DNA is separate from that of other Han, although they don't look much different.

Another example from China is the Hakka. They too, look like the Han of which they are part, but they also tend to stay with themselves. They share DNA with each other also.
Thats because there actuel ethnic groups and not religions. Moron
So tell me, O Brilliant One,
Okay im liking where your going now :)
if Jews are not an ethnic group, then how is it that the Chinese Jews share DNA with each other and with other Jews (me, for example) that they don't share with you? You say you are African American, because you are 1/32nd Black. I find that rather humourous, but lets go with that. If you are Black, then you share DNA with Black people that you don't share with me. See how that works?
The reson why is because chinese people converted to Jewish and started intermarrying with other Jewish people
How is that humorus? I smell rascism. I dont see why anyone in there right mind could posibley find that funey for someone to be an African American. And black is a racial slur you bigot. And the reson why I share dna with other AFRICAN AMERICANS is because African American is an ACTUEL RACE!!!!!!! How much clerer could I posibley be with you???!! See how that works ;)
I realise this basic concept is difficult for you. To be honest, it is not the easiest concept to grasp. But, with all the explaining I've done, I would think that by now you would have at least gotten a handle on it. Again, I refer you to Kaplan's excellent book on the subject. He wrote a lot of books, of which only one is relevant here. The rest tend to be theological.
Yeah thanks. Your BS evidance now makes it more explanable that Jewish is a flippin RELIGION!!!
The Kingdoms of Judah and Israel were headed by Kings who received their position by heredity. In Judah's case, the Kings were descended from David. If I were you, I would read my Bible before I opened my mouth and stuck my foot in it. Remember that David was of the Tribe of Judah, from Bethlehem. His children followed in the Kingship of all Israel, until the Ten Northern Tribes separated from the Southern Kingdom of Judah (see, there's that tribal name again). The Kingdom of Judah continued to be ruled by the descendants of David. The Northern Tribes called themselves Israel and were ruled by another family. On several occasions, revolutions occurred that put different men on the throne in Israel. Eventually, the Assyrians invaded Israel, and scattered the people.
Yes the kings of Judah and Isreal were of JEWISH (as in RELIGION) familys and were made rulers of the Jewish people. And the tribes were groups of Jewish people (as in religion) and I do read the Bible it is the sorce of all morel gidence and love thy neibor and evereything!!!!!!!
Down in Judah, the kingship was steady, until the Babylonians conquered the Kingdom, and sent most of the Jews (people of the Tribe of Judah) into exile. When the Persians conquered Babylon, they allowed the Jews to return to Judah. There, they encountered people called Samaritans. These people were partly Israelite, and partly non-Israelite in descent. They wanted to rebuild the Temple with the Jews, but were refused, for two reasons. One, they were not ethnically pure like the Jews. They had mixed with other people. Two, their religion was not pure either, but was corrupted by non-Jewish beliefs.

There are still Samaritans in Israel today, some 700 of them. They worship, as they always have, on Mt. Gerizim. The Israeli State protects their religious freedom. They are, however, a different ethnic group than the Jews, although they share some of the same common descent (but not all of it; they have various other non-Israelite lineage too).

Well, all that having been said, there really isn't much more I can say. So far, you are the only person in here that refuses to see that Jews are an ethnic group. If they were not, how would non-Jews get the idea that we all have curly dark hair and large noses? This is not true, we all don't, but enough of us do to make it a stereotype. Stereotypes exist because there is a small amount of truth to them.
That proved nothing. And im pretty sure the majoritey isnt stupit enough to beleive Jewish is an actuel ethnic group (but then again there stupit enough to beleive the earth is round. Pff). And are you a rascist?! Stereotypes have no truth to them there based of ignorence
You see, its like saying that "All Black Americans are ghetto." Obviously that is not true. There are plenty of middle class, and even wealthy Blacks. But there are enough of the ghetto types to render the stereotype partially true.
No there flippin isnt you rascist how about you shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AFRICAN AMERICANS can be anything stop being such a bigoted moron!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The same can be said of us in reverse. "All Jews have money." Well, that is not true. If it were, I would not be a Jew, since I have very little money. But, enough of us do have money that the stereotype exists.

"All Black men are huge, giants with big muscles." "All Black women have big breasts and junk in the trunk." Neither of these statements is true. I almost married a Black woman (who was a Black Jew) who was tiny breasted (although she did have junk in the trunk, which I though was very sexy). And I have seen small, nerdy looking Black men. But enough of  both sexes have the common characteristics mentioned to create a stereotype. See how that works?
*facepalm* Stop being such a flippin bigot you are a RASCIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And exacley: an AFRICAN AMERICAN Jewish person. Jewish people can be of any race. A Jewish can be chinese or African American or greek or what not!
Well, I think I have said enough. There really isn't much more I can say. Repeating myself ad nauseam, ad infinitum, ad absurdam seems pointless. You either get it or you don't. If you get it, you are on board with the rest of the planet. If you don't, you are an idiot. Go around your neighbourhood sometime, and ask both Jews and Gentiles whether Jews are an ethnic group. Tell me the answers you receive. I would be curious to hear what people tell you.

Incidentally, a nation can be a theocracy and still be a kingdom. Saudi Arabia is such. On the other hand, Iran, which is also a theocratic state, is NOT a kingdom. See how that works?
Your the idiot here. Once again you proved nothing. You are a complete and total moron who lives by this fantasey that Jewish is a ethnicitey insted of a religion. Moron. And gentile is a racial slur. Moron
inb4 he calls you a racist for using the term "black", instead of "African American".
Apparently he's got the idea that all black people are African American, whether they're American or not.
So...you want to call African Americans by a name that has hanted and hurt African Americans for years. You are a rascist and a bigot. And a moron. Musnt forget that
Well, that's entertaining, since "Palestinians" are Arabs, who didn't arrive in the Holy Land until the 600s of the Christian Era (that means AD, to you). So whose homeland is it now?

When did the Ashkenazim and Sephardim arrive in the Holy Land?
Exacley THANK YOU!!! :)
Viva la FES!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
57 spelling errors. And the word 'Palestine' was 1st applied by the Romans, in an attenpt to de-Judeaise the Land. It actually applied to the Philistines who were dispossessed of the Land by the Hebrews by order of God. The term 'Palestinian' only started being used as a nationality when Egypt & Jordan gave up their claims to the Gaza Strip & the West Bank in 1976. Before that, the term 'Palestinian' didn't exist. So... & how can 'Gentile' be racist when it doesn't refer to a race, nor is it used by a race?

Rama Set

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
Yaakov, unless you have a short word for ethnic discrimination you will have to accept that people will use racism in its place, and not entirely inappropriately. It is common to include ethnic discrimination in the definition of racism. Get over it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2013, 01:34:51 AM »
Rama, you have a point. But only an ethnic group can use an ethnic slur to refer to someone outside the group. Ergo, Jews are an ethnic group. To be sure, the term is not a slur. Jesus even used the term in the Gospels. It is an identity designation, nothing more.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:39 AM »
It should be noted that the terrorist Yassir Arafat went to college in Cairo & served in the Egyptian armed forces. In most cases, serving in a country's military makes you a citizen of that country. Gazans were Egyptian. West Bankers were Jordanian. When those nations surrendered claims to the 2 areas, international law dictated that the residents of those areas be allowed to move into their respective countries of citizenship. Neither Egypt nor Jordan allowed this, rendering those people stateless. Israel would have been w/i rights to deport all of them. The point is that no nation known as Palestine has ever existed, nor does it exist now. It is a geographic designation only, invented by the Romans. 'Palestinians' do not exist. Stateless people exist. That is all.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »
Rama, you have a point. But only an ethnic group can use an ethnic slur to refer to someone outside the group. Ergo, Jews are an ethnic group. To be sure, the term is not a slur. Jesus even used the term in the Gospels. It is an identity designation, nothing more.

Jews are not an ethnic group. Judaism is a religion, not a race.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
For my response to that, read the rest of this thread.